mask clearance in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently completely got over removing my mask in cold water, which is the best feeling! I had no issue with getting water in it from all sorts of things but intentionally taking off my mask was very hard. Do you close your eyes when you try it? When I take off my mask it sort of takes my breath away because it's so cold and I have to force myself to keep breathing. I was also squeezing my eyes shut because I was scared to lose my contacts but realized that was making it harder to relax and breathe normally because I was tense and I had no idea if when I replaced it was clearing and I started to worry about my buoyancy and all sorts of weird things. Water up my nose doesnt bother me and I found it easier to just continue breathing in and out my mouth. So I kept my eyes a bit open, my head titled down, let water in through the top and just peeled off my mask. I was able to complete the long underwater maskless swim required for the most recent course I took, no issues and I was totally calm, it was almost even refreshing to have my mask off!
I have to keep practicing a mask free swim in cold water so I don't revert back but being able to do it increased my confidence so that I no longer dread it. The dread of the skill can make it worse.
Not sure my advice is super good but wanted to share my struggle with you! My instructor also held both my mask and backup mask during my swim so panicking and replacing wasn't an option and though we weren't super deep, I told myself that the surface wasn't an option in this case so the only option was to get over it. There is no place for mask issues so I couldn't let something like that to hinder my progress in diving

I wouldn't stress over removal and replacement - the main skill you do need is clearing a partial/full flood.

One thing to remember is that you don't need to move the mask a great deal for it the air to displace the water. Pressure at the top (to hold it in place) will almost inevitably loosen the bottom so when you breathe out the air takes the easy route out (via the bottom of the mask).

Unfortunately when instructors or DMs demonstrate this skill they are prone to exaggerating the movements involved which generally means the gap is bigger than actually required.

I wouldn't stress over removal and replacement - the main skill you do need is clearing a partial/full flood.

One thing to remember is that you don't need to move the mask a great deal for it the air to displace the water. Pressure at the top (to hold it in place) will almost inevitably loosen the bottom so when you breathe out the air takes the easy route out (via the bottom of the mask).

Unfortunately when instructors or DMs demonstrate this skill they are prone to exaggerating the movements involved which generally means the gap is bigger than actually required.
I can`t really say that I`ve seen instructors having that bigger gap, but it is a major part of the DM course to demonstrate everything super slowly and exaggerate each aspect of the skill, so you may well be correct here.

The more you practice something the better off you will get at it. In other words you will be over learning it to the point where it becomes second nature. That should be your goal. The instructor does it easily as he/she/it has done is so many times, they don't even think about it. They just do it.

To the. OP. You're not alone. I got a mental block about it, and didn't even like partial clears. I finally sought advice when I got to 100 dives (stupid I know). I started off gently near the surface, with a friend not my usual buddy. My friend was stern and wouldn't put up with silky excuses, but at the same time patient and good at instructing. I got myself sorted.

Here's the thing, 3 years later I'm on my instructor course, and guess who got the top marks of the whole class for the demonstration of mask clear and mask removal and replacement? Yes me. Yes there is a technique, and you've been taught it, the biggest problem is the fear in your mind.

Don't stress, take small steps, every time you do it, give yourself a pat on the back or treat yourself to something.

By writing the post, you've taken a huge step forward, so we'll done

I would practice breathing on your regulator underwater without your mask on in a controlled environment until it no longer bothers you. At that point clearing your mask just becomes technique. This is all about basic comfort in the water. You really need to push past "panic" at this to dive safely. Even with all the tips and excellent advice you will receive on SB, the fact is you will get water in your mask while diving. It is unavoidable. You may not NEED to remove your mask while submerged, but you should be able to do so confidently. It may remain an uncomfortable process, but actual "panic" over such a common situation while at depth is dangerous. I don't mean to discourage you. Practice while you're diving if you must. You can do it just floating facedown on the surface. Get your buddy to help you. Have fun & be safe. :)

I have had a strong aversion to water around my nose since my earliest memories - so mask clearing kept me from even attempting certification until recently. As other have suggested, practicing in shallow water with a snorkel is a great way to overcome issues. I did this almost everyday for the week before my OW classes started (it helped that I have a pool at home). I found that if I maintained steady breathing, water in the nose just didn't really happen. I also learned to get past the mental aspects and not panic if I did manage to get water in - as it didn't affect being able to breath.

Turns out 3 of the other 5 students in my class had clearing issues so I was hardly an outlier. It ended up being a non-event for me with all the recent practice. Since certification, I've had a couple times during descents where I had a partial flood while waiting in current on the anchor line for the guided group. Training kicked in and I just cleared the mask and adjusted my head position so the current didn't pull on the mask as much.

I fully agree with AdivingBel....Panic underwater will get someone hurt or killed. On occasion a mask can get knocked off by an errant fin kick by dive buddy or others, or you may need to remove the mask to investigate continuous flooding or clean the lenses if you forgot to do so before entering the water (or to prep a new mask at home). You state you can do this in the pool so we know this is just fear of the ocean that is holding you back. You can master this with practice, but it is something you need to do.

I want to encourage you to keep diving IF you think it is the appropriate thing to do. If you are panicking over this issue you should stop, breathe, relax and thing about it and decide if diving is really your thing. If it is, then you can work at this and overcome it. See your dive instructor and have him work with you. Practice diving in the pool with no-notice mask knocked off face drills, then move to the ocean in shallow water and do it there. You need to be comfortable with your mask being off in the water even when you don't expect it, because that is how it sometimes happens. It that drill causes you to panic (instructor would be prepared for this) then you need to either overcome that, or find a more comfortable sport. Panic in the ocean can injure or kill. So this is a big deal.. See the attached video on what pure panic over a very minor issue can do.

Yes, practising being underwater maskless should help. Getting used to an exposed nose but still comfortable breathing through the reg (well, where else?). Airway control is everything. I did the no mask breathing fine in OW. I learned to demonstrate it in DM course. I did demonstrate it to a class once. So, two dives ago I did it just for the heck of it, so that was my 4th time ever. Once you master airway control these things don't even seem like skills. All that snorkeling helped me, I guess.

Thank you everyone for all the advice that you have given me and the tips. Its just the open water that I get this mind block of I can't do it, which is what I need to get over. I love diving and being in the open water but to enhance on that enjoyment I want to overcome this one obstacle. Ive never had to case a mask removal in OW since my course until this last weekend with continuous mask flooding on my second dive and as soon as I knew I had to do it I signaled to my buddy that I needed to surface to resolve the issue, which I should be comfortable doing it whilst underwater as I stated in the OP.

Luckily when I have dived even recreational I have dived with with instructors or DM's who have been great and have supported me through any issues I have had and its been great.

Partial mask flooding doesn't bother me in the slightest its just the actual removal and replacement but I'm going to give all the suggestions a go and get to the position where its second nature.

One of the instructors and DM's are going to take me out just the three of us to jus work on this skill as was suggested in one of the responses.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions and I will over come this haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom