mask clearance in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sje1987

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice/hints.

Passed OW in April this year and have been trying to get in the water as mud as possible to practice the skills that I have learnt but there is one skill that I'm still struggling with. The dreaded mask removal and replacement.

In the pool I can do this skill without any issues but as soon as I get into the open water I freeze and can't preform the skill. This might stem from the first time I did it in the open water and inhaled a lung full of murky pond water.

After this I went back into the pool and completed the skill over and over again until I felt comfortable which I am now in a pool setting by still can't come to terms with doing it in the open water.

It has come more apparent at the weekend when I had an issue with a flooding mask and had to surface to remove and replace the mask which wasn't fair on my buddy which is why I am now putting out a massive cry for help to my fellow scubaboarders.

Is there anything that you can suggest to help me with this annoying and frustrating issue?

Thanks

Is there any shallow water at your muddy pond? If so get in with just a suit and a mask and snorkle (maybe fins) and practice in standing depth. Next try snorkling without a mask. Get used to controlling breathing throw the mouth vs the nose.

Once totally bored of that try it on scuba in shallow water and then eventually on a platform.

If you continue to have a problem get one on one time with a patient instructor.

Being comfortable with a flooded mask is an essential skill. Being uncomfortable and trying to avoid it will increase the risk of bolting for the surface and that is not a good idea.

Thank you. Next time we are out diving I'll try giving that a go.

Its more frustrating than anything knowing I can do it in pool just not OW. I have no issues with water being sat in the nose piece which is more unusual.

Exactly, that's why I want to get over the mask clearance issue. I don't want to be in a position whereas I loose my mask and bolt, causing serious damage to myself and I want to be enjoying my dives not thinking I'm too close to their fins, or is my mask tight enough so I don't loose it.

Can you remove your mask u/w in the pond
Can you remove your mask u/w in the pond and breath from the regulator no problem?

I can remove and breathe yes for about 5 seconds then I can feel panic rising and have to get mask on. Mask isn't tight and can easily be removed and replaced when diving with hood etc on

Practicing all forms of airway control on land may help.

Try flooding and clearing it a little bit more at a time?

These guys all have good advice. The first thing you need to do is learn to exhale a little to put air in your nose so water doesnt go up there. As soon as it does you will panic then getting your mask back on is out of the question. take a deep breath and exhale slowly through your nose as you remove your mask. Learn to maintain positive pressure in your nasal cavity and breathe while you are putting your mask back on. Then pull the bottom out a couple millimeteres and exhale through your nose. The water will be pushed out. The best thing you can do is practice this literally 50 times in shallow water next time your out. Then it will be second nature to you.

I have never had to remove my mask in the water since certification. I frequently add a bit of water and clear it to get rid of the fog but that does not require actually removing the mask. Just place hand on top of edge of mask to keep it sealed there. Crack the seal on the bottom and exhale through nose into mask. Air displaces water. Also works if mask floods due to leakage ( hair under edge of mask, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom