Newport dive conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been lurking waiting for a dive report myself. A friend of mine was diving last wed. at Gould Island and reported 10-15' vis, but that's not Newport. :( I may make an attempt Sunday if we don't see the Grand kids. I'm working Sat so that's out.

Thinking of heading out to Ft W Friday AM. Tide low in the morning. Weather looks promising. May be my last trip out this year to RI.

Saturday looks like a good day to paddle over to Gooseberry Island and make a dive, NNW wind 8mph, high tide 3:00ish.

Any yakers intetested in going?

I didn't get to go Sat. however today is a go. I ran into one of the instructors at the LDS. He told me he took a class to FTW Sat and had a solid 15' vis!

Post a report if you go. I postponed to this coming Thur/Fri.

Not Newport, but managed a dive at ft w yesterday afternoon. Overcast, some sun, winds out of the north, calm in the cove. Low tide coming in. Surprisingly nice. 10-15' vis in some areas in the sand flats and even better with some sun. Vis less along the walls but still 6-10'. Water temps 64-66, max depth 28'and dive time 45min. Horseshoe crab, starfish, lobster, squid, juvi sea bass, some stripe basss. No other divers and a little chilly changing in the parking lot. Last dive of the season at ft w for me.

Last edited:
The way things have been going lately I'm not speculating where or when, but if I dive this weekend or Monday I'll post a report. 64-66F, looks like it's time to leave the 3MM Farmer John bottoms home and take the 7MM FJ bottoms.

MICR0002.JPG
MICR0002.JPG

another fish id question. What is this? Earlier in the season the bottom was covered with juv sea bass. They sat on the bottom and had the same shape and behavior as this guy in this photo. The coloration is now completely different and has coloring more like a black fish but not the black fish shape or behavior. Is it just a juv sea bass that is a little bigger?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom