RI Dive Season '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave the shortie at home, it’s still cold. 66 at 10’ and lower yesterday, coming off of low tide. Lot of blue crabs hanging around.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pack the 5 mil.

Another 10 day at ft w. Blue skies and light wind from the north north east. Busiest I have ever seen it on a midweek day. Divers, boaters, swimmers and beach goers. Water temps 68-66, vis 4-8’.

Fort Wetherill, Sept 4, '23, Vis about 4 feet and around Jamestown, even off Newport which is usually much better, A lot of weed & etc floating, water temp still 68 to 70 deg. The off shore storm really kicked up the surf this past week and mucked things up more than the norm this year. Tide was moving @ 4.5 feet, more than a foot above the norm outside the coves. There were more Kayakers and people hanging on the beach than divers but the lot still filled up fast.

Fort Wetherill, Sept 4, '23, Vis about 4 feet and around Jamestown, even off Newport which is usually much better, A lot of weed & etc floating, water temp still 68 to 70 deg. The off shore storm really kicked up the surf this past week and mucked things up more than the norm this year. Tide was moving @ 4.5 feet, more than a foot above the norm outside the coves. There were more Kayakers and people hanging on the beach than divers but the lot still filled up fast.
Not any better on Sunday, 9/3. From what I heard, even Gooseberry was a mess.
We were registering 66 degrees at 18 ft. It’s been cold this year!
Heading out to Sandwich tomorrow. I know it will be colder, but, hopefully, much better vis.

Erik

I was heading there Monday but brat cat decided Sunday night to need a ER trip and I didn't get home till 430.

Thanks for the updates. I was thinking of heading to Kings Beach in Newport tomorrow (9/6) but if the vis is crappy and tides are funky I may just head to a local lake instead.

Tides for tomorrow, wed Sept 6, look like 3.34 feet (normal), High at 1:44 pm.
My guess is the vis may still be iffy but hey look at the little things up close.
It takes 21 days for the water in the bay to completely exchange as far as I understand.
You can find a lot of info for RI tides and Marine forecast at ocascuba.org
The Tides for the bay are Castle Hill right across from Wetherill.
If the previous tide is a Negative number add it to the Next tide to get the range.
If the previous tide is not a Negative number subtract it from the next tide to get the range.
I've been diving the bay for 48 years, almost always using this table and it for me has been good along with a set of NOAA current charts for direction and speed (hard copy, no longer available).
Currents and direction do not necessarily coincide with Hi and Lo.. or location in the bay.
However the lower the tidal range the less current in general and within the coves there is not usually an issue with current until you get out near the front or around the rock island between east and west coves.
If you go to the Marine Menu there are even Surf Cams listed as much as possible.

Thanks for the info and the link. I ended up diving at Kings Beach today. Vis was around 6 feet with little current. Some areas had better vis than others especially around 20 feet it got a little more chummy. Average water temp was 70 degrees. All in all a good dive.

We dove off Gooseberry, Arches and nearby area. Vis was clear and at least 10 feet, maybe more like 12 feet in and in back, North side, and sides but way out front, South side, the vis dropped as it got deeper, which it normally does, to a murky 4 - 5 ish. Second dive maybe 1/4 mile West of Gooseberry vis was about the same, maybe a bit less than Goosberry. Reports from people diving Wetherill said 7 feet there, it did look good at the boat ramp but mostly always does except earlier this week (Vertical vis does not always equal Horizontal vis).
We also saw 70 deg today..
This time of year as the Plankton dies off it settles to the bottom and mucks it up so the shallows are much clearer now, this is my theory any way after 48 years.
This may have been the best day on the water all Summer with calm seas, light wind, etc, wasn't a lot of boat traffic to muck up the calm seas either.

Back
Top Bottom