FL trip question - how much gear to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an aside, I'm experimenting with making some carry-on luggage that attaches to a backplate to form a backpack for ease of carry. The cam bands and crotch strap are removed from the backplate and stored inside, the shoulder/waist strap remains in place. With everything except fins but including a wetsuit, it is going to be under the carry-on size limits, and I'm going to put lash points on the back so I can carry the fins as well when I arrive. I'll post pics when it's done.

Here's one example: Backplate and Pack | Deep-Sea Sherpa

Nice.

I'm doing up a design with front and rear compartments, each 4" deep with a zipper closure. The idea is that the gear necessary to set up the kit is in the front compartment -- wing, cam bands, regs, crotch strap, things like lights and SMB that clip onto the kit. Then the rear compartment has wetsuit, boots, computer, compass, mask, and other stuff not needed until arriving at the dive site.

I would take everything like people are saying! My drysuit bag meets carry on size requirements so I carry on my drysuit and have my regulator bag with regulator, computer, and light as my carry on "personal item". Everything else goes in my checked bag.

Take it all. DEFINITELY take anything that needs to fit you - like your drysuit and mask.

I take all my gear when I fly (except tanks). SS BP and wing, wetsuit (I haven't flown with my drysuit yet), masks, and booties all fit in a regular Ogio rollaboard which I carry on and put in the overhead compartment. Regs and computers go in my "personal item" (i.e. a regular old backpack), which I carry on and stow under the seat in front of me (if there's not room in the overhead). The only scuba gear I put in a checked bag is fins and miscellaneous stuff like cutting devices.

I will have to revise this plan next time, as I have added a "real" camera kit to my gear now, but without that, it's no problem to carry on everything but fins. I think I saw in a separate thread that you got a tri-lam drysuit. So, that should probably fit in your carry-on in lieu of a wetsuit and booties.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

To reaffirm, take the lot. This is especially important given you're a new diver, so dive what you're used too as it gives you more practice. You will also be more confident in your own gear, knowing what weight you'll need etc etc.

If I'm going to see temperatures of 75 or less my DS goes with me. Sure I've had people laugh, until they get out of the water and need to warm up - whereas I'm smug and dry :D

Regs and computers go in my "personal item" (i.e. a regular old backpack), which I carry on and stow under the seat in front of me (if there's not room in the overhead). The only scuba gear I put in a checked bag is fins and miscellaneous stuff like cutting devices.

You guys seem to be lucky. More and more international flights won't allow regs in carry on - not even if you take the hose's off. Given you can't take anything bigger than nail scissors on board you can see why (a 1st stage makes a good weapon I'd guess)

Everything gets checked with exception of my computer. Even AI transmitters have raised eyebrows at the X-ray in the past. So far everything has always arrived intact.

In over 20 years of air travel, I've only had bags get lost once. That was in the UK, on a commuter flight. 4 bags in total (for the whole flight) got checked, only 3 were loaded because they're idiots. Even Major US hubs have never lost my bags (in the 90's I used to travel with 20 checked items for work - huge excess baggage bills but at least they arrived with me)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom