A-Clamp or DIN

A-clamp or DIN

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will1760

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking about purchasing some regs but I'm not sure if I should get a clamp or din

I plan on using the regs in both warm and cold water.

Also any suggestion as to which model to buy?

Thanks in advanced!

support local business, buy Apeks regs, still manufactured in England. XTX50/DST with either the XTX40 or 50 secondary.

If diving local primarily, then stay DIN and use the adapter, if diving primarily to locations with only yoke valves, then get a-clamp. Alternatively, you can buy the regs in one, and buy the kit to convert the reg to din. Typically $50, and that way you can dive DIN when at home or when diving with outfits with DIN valves, or in about 5 minutes with an allen key and a spanner you can swap over to yoke for travel.

I'm a big fan of DIN, having seen a (very) few o-ring blowouts on yokes. Don't know if those were due to valve, o-ring or reg damage or mis-seating by the diver. Don't really care why, just know I've seen 3? over the years. I don't think that's even possible with DIN. I've also seen more dented valve seats on yoke valves on rental tanks.

I happen to dive DIN, but I carry a yoke adapter if I ever need to rent a yoke tank, like in Hawaii.

I had my 10 year old tanks refitted with the combo valves at their last hydro. I carry one insert and a wrench in case I want to loan a tank to a diver with a yoke reg.

I am thinking about purchasing some regs but I'm not sure if I should get a clamp or din

I plan on using the regs in both warm and cold water.

Also any suggestion as to which model to buy?

Thanks in advanced!

DIN is the more secure coupling. There is absolutely no question about it.

If you are traveling with it and you think there is a chance that you will not be able to rent DIN tanks then you can buy an INT adapter for it.

R..

I'm a big fan of DIN, having seen a (very) few o-ring blowouts on yokes. Don't know if those were due to valve, o-ring or reg damage or mis-seating by the diver. Don't really care why, just know I've seen 3? over the years. I don't think that's even possible with DIN. I've also seen more dented valve seats on yoke valves on rental tanks.

I happen to dive DIN, but I carry a yoke adapter if I ever need to rent a yoke tank, like in Hawaii.

I had my 10 year old tanks refitted with the combo valves at their last hydro. I carry one insert and a wrench in case I want to loan a tank to a diver with a yoke reg.

Contrary to the popular myth, the sealing surfaces of a DIN and yoke (A) are mechanically exactly the same except the oring groove is on opposite surfaces. The way the seal is held together is different but the actual seal is the same design. The primary reason yokes are seen failing more often is purely a maintenance/ care/use issue and has nothing to do with the DIN or yoke part of the valve. Yoke orings remain on the tank and are very often abused, esp on rental tanks as opposed to the DIN which remains on the reg which is typically replaced every year and sees maybe a 100 dives between replacements as opposed to yoke (esp rental) tanks which usually are used until they are in poor shape.

A lot of DIN vs yoke discussions are filled with half truths and downright BS. Both have positive and negative points, one is not clearly better than the other in all situations.

DIN is definitely better than YOKE

not on rental tank fleets it isn't. If I owned rental fleets they'd all be yoke only. too much risk of out of round valves when they get knocked around.... they are also a helluva lot easier for the poor bugger that has to fill them all.

That said all of my personal tanks are DIN, and all but one of my first stages are DIN. Said first stage is on the rare chance I'm travelling, I'd rather know that everyone is going to have yoke tanks and use yoke than call around to find DIN.

Buy a DIN first stage with a DIN to Yoke adapter and you will be prepared for all. A DIN to Yoke adapter is not expensive.
DIN to Yoke adapters are standard. One should fit all 1st stages and tank valves.
din-to-yoke-converter.jpg

Contrary to the popular myth, the sealing surfaces of a DIN and yoke (A) are mechanically exactly the same except the oring groove is on opposite surfaces. The way the seal is held together is different but the actual seal is the same design. The primary reason yokes are seen failing more often is purely a maintenance/ care/use issue and has nothing to do with the DIN or yoke part of the valve. Yoke orings remain on the tank and are very often abused, esp on rental tanks as opposed to the DIN which remains on the reg which is typically replaced every year and sees maybe a 100 dives between replacements as opposed to yoke (esp rental) tanks which usually are used until they are in poor shape.

A lot of DIN vs yoke discussions are filled with half truths and downright BS. Both have positive and negative points, one is not clearly better than the other in all situations.

yoke orings are not fully captured like with din though. they are more vulnerable to extrusion at higher pressures eg 300 bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom