A-Clamp or DIN

A-clamp or DIN

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yoke orings are not fully captured like with din though. they are more vulnerable to extrusion at higher pressures eg 300 bar.

correct, which is why the DoT doesn't allow them to be used on the 3500psi tanks.

@Diverman68 if you only have one reg, then I agree completely, and I do have adapters and take them with me all the time. That said, I'd rather get a cheap yoke first stage, old scubapro mk2/5 etc that you can buy for $30, repair with your eyes closed for $10, and dedicate that to travel if I was doing it regularly. For me, I have enough regs that I can leave one as yoke

As has been said DIN is more secure than yoke but DIN is not universally supported. Anywhere you go in the world you can rent and get yoke tanks filled but that isn't true for DIN tanks, but they are becoming more popular and hopefully that will change.
The good news is if you get DIN regs you can get yoke adapters and still use your DIN regs anywhere you go.
The bad news is the adapter will move the reg about an inch closer to your head.
If I was looking to buy a new reg I would definitely get a DIN reg with the yoke adapter.

yoke orings are not fully captured like with din though. they are more vulnerable to extrusion at higher pressures eg 300 bar.
AFAIK Yoke connections cannot be used with 300 bars. Yoke connections are limited to 200 bars.

@Diverman68 ...if you only have one reg, then I agree completely, and I do have adapters and take them with me all the time. That said, I'd rather get a cheap yoke first stage, old scubapro mk2/5 etc that you can buy for $30...

They did make DIN versions of those early Scubapro regs and the yoke versions can be converted to DIN. DIN has been the standard in Europe for a long time and has only become popular in the US relatively recently.

"...AFAIK Yoke connections cannot be used with 300 bars. Yoke connections are limited to 200 bars..."

Correct. There are no yoke valves rated to 300bar. But there are two types of DIN valves, one rated to 200bar and another rated to 300bar. A reg with a 300bar DIN connector can be used on either a 300bar or 200bar valve, but a reg with a 200bar DIN connector will only fit on a 200bar valve. Not many companies make 300bar DIN regulators. Poseidon makes them but I'm not sure what other companies do.

If you're doing mostly vacation diving, go for Yoke. If you're doing a lot of diving close to home talk to your local shop.

Not many companies make 300bar DIN regulators. Poseidon makes them but I'm not sure what other companies do.

It is actually the other way around, all modern regulators with DIN connector are 300Bar rated. The older regulators with DIN connectors used to be 200B but any modern regulator with DIN connector you buy today is 300Bar (the popular brands).

Thanks for the correction. I haven't bought a new reg in a long time. The times they are a changing...

A couple of corrections....and more myths.....As I said before, the seal is exactly the same on both valves, the DIN sealing surface is not different or "captured" any differently than the yoke, it is simply set back in the valve. The connection method is different, the seal is the same. While the DIN is capable of holding more pressure, it is also much more susceptible to damage- bent valves and damage reg threads- than a yoke...which is the reason most rental fleets are yoke.
The limit on yoke is not 200 bar or 3500 psi. While it is true most are rated at 3000, there were/are a number of yokes rated to 4000 psi (roughly 270 bar). To a large extent, it's a moot point since HP tanks are not that common, esp in rental fleets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom