Suggestions for ultimate three day diving itinerary march

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends what you like: 3 days in Jupiter or 3 in Boynton or 3 in Lauderdale by the Sea/Pompano or 3 in Key Largo would all be very fun. Jupiter for sharks and other big marine life encounters like turtles and goliath grouper, Boynton for mid depth reefs and a couple of sites known for goliath grouper, LBTS for a lovely shallow reef ledge and a plethora of wrecks, and Key Largo for shallow reefs, a couple deeper ones and three world class deeper wrecks. Key Largo is the most vacation - like with lots of restaurants and taverns

If you were only interested in the diving and you were only going to dive once in Florida what would you choose?

Key Largo since it is the most vacation like. I recently moved away from south Florida and the times I've returned for diving vacations, I focused on Key Largo and Islamorada. When you cross the final bridge into the Keys, it feels like you've crossed into another world that is all about water sports.

If you absolutely want higher adrenaline drift diving with a guaranty of seeing sharks, then Jupiter is the place. Lobstering is also good in Jupiter: something many people overlook. I used to live a few miles from Jupiter Beach and while I loved the diving every Saturday morning, now that I'm gone, when I vacation in FL I go to the Keys.

Last edited:
One day doing a 3-tank shark feed dive trip with Emerald Dive Charter for better chance at close up shark encounters, maybe with species you might not see without the feeding.

One day diving Blue Heron Bridge, which isn't that far.

One day, well, West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach aren't all that far off; pick one.

Not saying it's the best option, but it would be a varied experience.

Assuming you can still do 2 2-tank boat trips/day with Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo, that'd be 12 dives in 3 days, and if AOW cert.'d do a deep wreck for variety.

Either of those options appeal?

Richard.

If you were only interested in the diving and you were only going to dive once in Florida what would you choose?

Yes, but what type of diving are you interested in? Reefs? Wrecks? Big critters? Little critters? Fossils? Caves? As much of a sampler as you can cram into three days? What's your comfort/experience level?

Depends on experience but would do one day in Marathon, Sombrero/Coffins patch/Thunderbolt wreck, one day at Looe Key reef and one day in Key Largo (Molasses reef or similar and one of the large wrecks). Also, I'd make sure to visit Bahia Honda State park for some snorkeling (has a lot of interesting life off the beach). You can cover all bases like that, though 4 days would be better than 3.. every time I go to the Keys i feel 3 days is not enough.

Note: visibility is usually better in Key Largo..

The group I'm traveling with are all rescue divers. We can certainly adjust the itinerary to four days of diving.

We enjoy reefs, large wrecks, and cenotes. It sems like Florida might be able to offer the wreck experience of those three options.

The group I'm traveling with are all rescue divers. We can certainly adjust the itinerary to four days of diving.

We enjoy reefs, large wrecks, and cenotes. It sems like Florida might be able to offer the wreck experience of those three options.

Florida can offer everything - but the state is large and 3 days worth of diving won't be enough to do the springs up north, and the wrecks off the Keys unless you have an unlimited budget and a pilot with you - and even then you'll feel rushed.

Up north or west theres lots of cave/ cavern stuff.
The Treasure coast has everything from large animal encounters to wrecks to close in shore dive reefs to (mildly) offshore reefs.

Being from Florida though, If I only had 3 days of diving I'd probably go to the Keys. You have beautiful reefs and wrecks and lots of great charter companies, you can do everything from easy close-to-shore dives to offshore bluewater spearing, to deep wreck exploration, etc ... all in close proximity - and you'll have the highest probability there of good vis. And the islands are largelt a tourist economy so it will be a much more vacation like atmosphere on shore.

If it looks the weather/ seas might be an issue though, I might decide to stay around Palm Beach, so I have Blue Heron Bridge as a bailout option. (even though that hasn't been much of an option the last couple weeks unfortunately)

If it's reefs and wrecks (rather than the fish on said reefs and wrecks), then it sounds like the Keys are your best bet. If you're interested in big fish and sea turtles though, head to Palm Beach County - March kicks off the high season of diving there. You'll likely see 10x the number and a lot more variety of the "charismatic megafauna." The reefs aren't quite as pretty and tend to be deeper; there are a number of good wrecks although there's no headliners like the Vandenberg, Spiegel Grove, Duane, or Bibb.

Short form, if you want to prioritize the scenery, go to the Keys. If you want to see some big critters, go to Palm Beach. It's possible to get both in, but you're going to have a pretty rushed trip in three days - assuming local traffic is light, you're looking at a minimum 2.5- to 3-hour drive between West Palm and Key Largo, and more like 5+ to get from West Palm to Key West.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom