Double hose manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Luis, just got out of the water after first test dive. 30 minutes max 18m. Geen turtle, 5 minutes into the dive. First time I see turtle here on our housereef. Must be a good omen. The regulater worked as a charm. Indeed, positioning is everything, you can really feel when yo dive head down or other positions. It felt like I used slightly more air then ussual, but then again, first try and we had a major strong current.

I spend quite a bit of time head down, looking under rocks for lobster, or taking pictures of things; it would be interesting to see how it responds to those situations.

We routinely drift dive the Niagara River here, and it is a 3 kt current. Essentially a "hot drop" and get down asap as you ride the current. The first time I tried it with my DH (Kraken), I swore that diving a DH was the biggest suicide mission I had ever undertaken. I almost went for my octo thinking the thing was not working. Freaked me out! Leveled out, and the joy began. Now that I understand it, it's been my favorite regulator for two years running.... enough that I own 3 more "vintage" ones.

We routinely drift dive the Niagara River here, and it is a 3 kt current. Essentially a "hot drop" and get down asap as you ride the current. The first time I tried it with my DH (Kraken), I swore that diving a DH was the biggest suicide mission I had ever undertaken. I almost went for my octo thinking the thing was not working. Freaked me out! Leveled out, and the joy began. Now that I understand it, it's been my favorite regulator for two years running.... enough that I own 3 more "vintage" ones.
Hahaha, Had a bit of an issue yesterday on my second dive. As I set up the AK, I notice the left hoose was slighly moving. I didn't notice that when I assembled the AK and neither on the first dive. Anyway, figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal. During the dive (somehow I had the tank mounted slightly to high) I found it a bit difficult breathing and the left hoose was always touching my face (annoying), so I slightly turnd the hoose. Immediatly some water seeped in. I managed to blast clear, turned the hoose a bit more and next ting the AK flooded complety. We were down at around 23 meters and not being used yet to the AK, I did not manage to clear the AK this time, so I switched to the Alternate, ascended to about 5 meters and tried clearing again. It worked.
When I got back on the boat, I realized the instructions for assembling the AK to tape the hoose to the mouthpiece, during assembly as it easy rotates). Anyway, on the boat I lowered the tank abit and went back in the water to continue the dive and try. Again world of difference, this time (as long as I didn't touch the hoose) it worked like a charm.
Even after only 2 dives, this is the most fun I had in a long time while diving. It is really amazing how closer you gac get to the underwater critters!
Thanks.

Are you partially closing the DSV? The DSV should be fully open during the dive and only closed before you remove it out of your mouth. There is a hole on the bottom so you can purge the small amount of water in the mouthpiece byte area and then open it to breath.

The link below that I provided talked a bit about it, but let me know if you have any questions.
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - ARGONAUT DSV design information.

Have fun diving.

Last edited:
There is plenty of info on vdh about the proper installation of the hose loop to a double hose regulator. It is important to set the hoses correctly so that the bite is in alignment with the mouth. If the loop has a twist it will be uncomfortable. Probably the best way to get help is to jump over to the vdh forums and ask your questions.

N

I spend quite a bit of time head down, looking under rocks for lobster, or taking pictures of things; it would be interesting to see how it responds to those situations.

I also do a lot of diving when I am head down. I do a lot of small creature watching and macro photography. No lobster catching here in Maine, it is very illegal to catch while diving and you don't want to mess with the lobster mafia. :shakehead: They can only be trapped with a license.

There is definitely a difference in breathing head down, but to be honest, I have to consciously think about it, to notice it now-a-days. The cracking effort is the only thing that changes, not the venturi flow. Between getting used to it, and more important, I have adjusted my breathing style to take better advantage of the venturi flow. I don’t take abnormal long breaths, just full breaths and once the flow is initiated the venturi just gives me air until I stop inhaling.

The link above about the DSV also has an interesting link about breathing underwater that has some very good information.

I have occasionally observed divers :wink:. Some are like choo-choo trains. They chuff and they puff, panting like a hot dog as they move along, leaving a steady trail of bubbles nearly unbroken. This is not correct breathing and if it is your normal breathing then you need to change. I know, commonly it is said to breath normally, this old and sage advice was based on the common belief that people would know how to breath efficiently. Apparently they largely do not.

Underwater breathing on an open circuit SCUBA the diver is much better to take long, slow, breaths and equally long and slow exhalations. This efficiently utilizes the tidal volume of the lungs while breathing and reduces the WOB. Breath from your diaphragm. And, as Luis alludes to, you are breathing off the Venturi flow. The dh diver must learn to use the Venturi.

N

Last edited:
I also do a lot of diving when I am head down. I do a lot of small creature watching and macro photography. No lobster catching here in Maine, it is very illegal to catch while diving and you don't want to mess with the lobster mafia. :shakehead: They can only be trapped with a license.

There is definitely a difference in breathing head down, but to be honest, I have to consciously think about it, to notice it now-a-days. The cracking effort is the only thing that changes, not the venturi flow. Between getting used to it, and more important, I have adjusted my breathing style to take better advantage of the venturi flow. I don’t take abnormal long breaths, just full breaths and once the flow is initiated the venturi just gives me air until I stop inhaling.

The link above about the DSV also has an interesting link about breathing underwater that has some very good information.

Thanks for the info on the breathing. I have a personal (non-commercial) SCUBA lobster license here in RI, so am legal in catching a few while diving. Unfortunately, I haven't found any that were legal keeper-sized yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom