(05 JUN 05) Missing diver at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Depth in meters. The wall isn't vertical to 600' but does end up at 600' in fairly short order.
Whytecliff1.jpg

Uncle Pug, I like your picture better. 150, 130 or 600 fsw whatever.

I, too, would like to know additional details. I suppose they were doing a shore dive? Where there currents involved?

DiveGolfSki:
I, too, would like to know additional details. I suppose they were doing a shore dive? Where there currents involved?
Daryl posted more details here

As for depths... you need to multiply the numbers shown on the charts by ~3 if you want to convert to feet. The charts of that area show depths in meters.

Uncle Pug:
Daryl posted more details here

As for depths... you need to multiply the numbers by shown on the charts by ~3 if you want to convert to feet. The charts of that area show depths in meters.

Thanks for the details. Would be interesting to see where on the your map did this occur (not important ... just curious).

Uncontrolled descent? Is there any details as to how this happened (too much weights, faulty BC, etc.)? If not, I guess we'll just have to wait until the report comes in.

DiveGolfSki:
Uncle Pug, I like your picture better. 150, 130 or 600 fsw whatever.

This is the tidal information for that afternoon. A 12ft swing would be a factor to deal with in that area but I am not sure how much of a problem it would cause at depths below 80ft.

2005-06-05 05:09 PDT Sunrise
2005-06-05 11:30 PDT 2.30 feet Low Tide
2005-06-05 19:15 PDT 14.76 feet High Tide
2005-06-05 21:14 PDT Sunset

Daryl Morse:
..........but if you get separated, you search for a reasonable time, then complete the dive on your own.

You're kidding right? If not, divers should reconsider being your buddy.

And the statement about "an uncontrolled descent" seems senseless to repeat.
If the vis was as bad as is stated, a witness to an uncontrolled descent is unlikely, and if someone was right by him to witness it, they would have been close enough to assist.

Its been a bad couple of weeks for incidents/accidents. Dive smart!
Condolences to all involved.

*sp*

*Scuba*Princess*:
You're kidding right? If not, divers should reconsider being your buddy.

And the statement about "an uncontrolled descent" seems senseless to repeat.
If the vis was as bad as is stated, a witness to an uncontrolled descent is unlikely, and if someone was right by him to witness it, they would have been close enough to assist.

Its been a bad couple of weeks for incidents/accidents. Dive smart!
Condolences to all involved.

*sp*

SP-

I think (or at least, I hope) that Daryl is saying that if you do get separated, you search for your buddy for whatever amount of time you have agreed upon before getting in the water. If you are not able to reconnect in that time, you complete (or abort) the dive, doing your stops on your own.

I'm sure that is what Daryl is saying... and at the risk of putting words in his post, he is probably referring to fulfilling the deco obligation.

As for witnessing an uncontrolled descent.. it is not always the case that the witness is in a position to effect a rescue.

Uncle Pug:
I'm sure that is what Daryl is saying... and at the risk of putting words in his post, he is probably referring to fulfilling the deco obligation.

As for witnessing an uncontrolled descent.. it is not always the case that the witness is in a position to effect a rescue.

MY point was that it makes no sense to say anything about an uncontrolled descent. Who really knows what happened unless you were right there.

And yes Daryl please clarify if what you wrote is not what you meant.

Back
Top Bottom