1,000 ways to die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can not open a chamber door when it is pressurized. The only way to surface the chamber is to vent it, which is usually a large lever actuated ball valve that is painted red an either mounted in the center of the chamber or on a control panel. When someone is in a chamber it is always maned and the chance ot the type of accident described is about zero.

hyperbolic chamber? Sounds extravagant.

Seriously, though, this thread makes me want to watch Licence To Kill.
:doh:
Go ahead, pick on the newb :wink: ... I know a lot more about mathematics than I do about diving... Although, I dont recall any hyperbolic chambers even in math... :bonk:

They left out about the part where she was eating the rice off of the sidewalk thrown at the wedding she attended just before the dive.

Just like the Pigeons,
Picture5.jpg
that's why she 'sploded.

I has seed it, aint pretty 'tall.

:doh:
Go ahead, pick on the newb :wink: ... I know a lot more about mathematics than I do about diving... Although, I dont recall any hyperbolic chambers even in math... :bonk:

I think the pun was not in terms of mathematics, but rather exaggeration: See "hyperbole "

I think the pun was not in terms of mathematics, but rather exaggeration: See "hyperbole "

Yup. Funny thing is I first wrote "sounds expensive," but wasn't sure most people would get the joke (building a hyperbolic chamber would be more difficult to manufacture -and thus cost more- than a circular one).

No way you can open a chamber door with it pressurized. Figure the area for a circle in inches
PIE R SQUARED ( I don't have the symbols on my comp) 3.1416x 12"=37.6992

(represents the area of chamber door at DIA. 2', Which always has to open inward)
and multply times the PSI in the chamber You say 300 feet. (KISS) say 1/2 PSI per foot
that is 150 psi THAT is POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH 37.6992x150=5654LBS.That is one bad ass janitor.
See you topside! John

It has happened, see the Byford Dolphin accident;

Byford Dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That incident has nothing to do with the possible depressurization of a treatment chamber. TUP (Transfer Under Pressure) can be very dangerous, difficult and exacting (I know, I've dove and supervised a Personal Transfer Capsule, PTC, and on-deck decompression ) and the biggest fear is the clamp that mates the PTC (bell) to the chamber, it is the only part of the system that does not seal itself when pressurized and that must be held in place mechanically against the pressure inside the chamber and the bell.

Back
Top Bottom