1,000 ways to die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chamber doors either open inward or, on "operating room" chambers slide like a pocket door. I've never seen one that swung outward.

Come on guys, do a little research. In 1989 Franz Sanchez placed Milton Krest in the hyperbaric chamber on board his yacht, pressurized, then suddenly depressurized the chamber with an axe, causing Krest's head to explode, predictably enough, and spattering his blood and brains all over their ill-gotten gains.

"What should we do with the money, boss?"

"Launder it."

That's a monoplace chamber, fine (well sort of) for carbon monoxide treatments, gas gangrene and plastic surgery recovery, not what would be used ro a diving accident that might require excursions down to 165 FSW.

These are used to treat DSC - about a dozen cases per year - don't recall the simulated depth limit (perhaps limited to the table 6 type). They are more heavily used to facilitate healing, such as burn victims.

If the janitor opened the door and the occupant exploded, just imagine what happened to the janitor as the door opened. I sure would have liked to see him try to close it again!

Chamber doors either open inward or, on "operating room" chambers slide like a pocket door. I've never seen one that swung outward.

The Sechrist (I think) chamber my wife was in at Long Beach Memorial opened outwards. It's was in a trauma ward and likely isn't used for extremely deep stuff, but will do at least the 3ATM to which they dove her.
Come on guys, do a little research. In 1989 Franz Sanchez placed Milton Krest in the hyperbaric chamber on board his yacht, pressurized, then suddenly depressurized the chamber with an axe, causing Krest's head to explode, predictably enough, and spattering his blood and brains all over their ill-gotten gains.

"What should we do with the money, boss?"

"Launder it."

ahem
Seriously, though, this thread makes me want to watch Licence To Kill.

These are used to treat DSC - about a dozen cases per year - don't recall the simulated depth limit (perhaps limited to the table 6 type). They are more heavily used to facilitate healing, such as burn victims.
We were discussing the reality of a janitor bumping the door and opening a chamber that was being use to treat a diver who was bent after making an emergency ascent from more than 300 FSW, so it was likely a mixed gas dive. Treatment of this sort of situation would not be undertaken in a monoplace oxygen treatment chamber because the first thing you'd do is blow down to 165, which is not possible in a monoplace chamber.

I think Bruce wants to see the janitor explode!

That's a monoplace chamber, fine (well sort of) for carbon monoxide treatments, gas gangrene and plastic surgery recovery, not what would be used ro a diving accident that might require excursions down to 165 FSW.

Dang Thass, that's SURE right. Remember when the Navy would treat bent divers, no questions asked?

Sure seems like these "medical chambers" are all that's used for DCS these days. The old long schedules are a thing of the past...

:headscratch:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom