1 year warranty on a SeaDoo knockoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that pretty much sounds like what I need. Especially reliability. You mean Sea Doo Explorer, right?

Well, I read the reviews of Explorer on Amazon and Leisurepro websites, and found more horror stories. In particular, Leisurepro had 16 reviews with average rating "3", but no reviewer actually gave Explorer "3" rating -- they were mostly "5" (works great) or "1" (not at all), in about equal numbers.

OTOH, VS Supercharged got almost all good reviews on both websites. Even the worst one ("2" rating) was because it was insufficiently powerful, not because it failed to work.

Go figure...

The Sea-Doo Seascooter GTI and Sea-Doo VS Supercharged are terrific for super portable 18# scooters. The Sea-Doo Seascooter Explorer is a big step up: heavier construction, more power, refinement etc. but it also weighs about twice as much(35lbs) as the portable models. You can still carry it, as it has a nice rubber carry handle on the nose cone, but it's tough carrying it one handed for any distance.

The Explorer has some bad reviews mainly because of the flooding problems(when your DPV dies on the first dive you tend to give it a bad review LOL)-which seem to have been resolved with the addition of some new seals.

Does anyone have experience with this scooter?

At $149 with free shipping I would naturally assume yet another SeaDoo knockoff slapped together by Chinese orphans :) and would not give it a second glance. But... one year warranty? So if I buy it now and it corrodes by next August I can get it replaced? I could live with that.

Does anyone have experience with this scooter and/or seller?

This unit is the same as the "X-TREME 160" just a different name and box.

I have 4 of the 160 DPV's and they are fairly good DPV's. They weigh about 20 lbs and with a full charge on a good g-SLAB battery I get between 30 and 40 **continuous** minutes of 350w output (both triggers).

The DPV's are well built (metal gearing as they claim) and so far I have not had any mechanical failures. I have over 20 dives on each unit at this point (80 plus dives total). Of the 4 DPV's I have none has flooded or failed so far.

At full power (350 watt output) the DPV will pull a fully kitted diver fast enough to vibrate the reg in their mouth. (7mm suit, hood & gloves, 12 lbs lead, 80 cuft AL cylinder & pony, oh, and ME!!! :D 240 lbs diver)

Quick tip. Tie a bit of fishing line between the magnetic trigger on the right hand trigger and the trigger arm just above the hinge. I had several mag switches fall off before I realized the need for a safety line.

The biggest problem I have found with these DPV's is the batteries and more importantly the battery charger that comes with the unit.

The batteries are two (2) 12v gel-SLAB connected in series giving 24 volts. The rating on the batteries is supposed to be 7AH but the performance dose not back that up.

The problem with the charger is that it's a piece of s**t. It charges the g-SLAB battery but will not "condition" them. If the bat is only partially discharged it just tops the bat off. You can get a much better charger here,

Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Trailers, Hand + Power Tools | Northern Tool + Equipment

look for the "BatteryMINDer/Charger" in 24 volt, item # 24041. This unit will discharge and then properly recharge the G-SLAB battery. This will eliminate many problems you may have with the DPV. Cost is $110 plus shipping. (note, to use this charger you will also need a spare battery connector).

There are Lithium Ion batteries available for these DPV's, they retail for between $179 and $200 and may be worth investigating. (I plan on buying one just as soon as I can, but I don't have any spare cash just now)

The Li-bat should solve the power problem in relation to drive time but I can't say for certain just now. Check Ebay for more info on these bats. (seller: jbrentsitall)

SO...

DPV $149
Northerntool Charger $120
Addational Battery $60
Battery lead $20

Total $350

for the DPV, with two 24 V g-SLAB bats and a good 24 V bat charger/conditioner.

Buy two, one for you and one for your buddy, or as a backup.
Cost for two DPV's, four bats, one charger/conditioner is around $660.

The real beauty of these DPV's is that in the event you have to let it go or drop it, you are out of pocket less than $200, verses what? $1000 for the other units?

My advice, give this DPV a try. It will cost you about the same as dinner and a movie for two. :D

PS. My avatar pic is me with one of my DPV's :crafty:

This unit is the same as the "X-TREME 160" just a different name and box.

At full power (350 watt output) the DPV will pull a fully kitted diver fast enough to vibrate the reg in their mouth. (7mm suit, hood & gloves, 12 lbs lead, 80 cuft AL cylinder & pony, oh, and ME!!! :D 240 lbs diver)

It towed my fat ass around 240 pounds, dry suit, steel 119 and 40 cf slung pony bottle

I do not remember any vibration of the reg though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom