10/16 Shore Dive Orgy Weekend Hibiscus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62:
Don't think I can make it Saturday Mike, how 'bout Sunday????? who's doing what on Sunday?
Sunday is good for me too - anyone else up for Sunday morning?

Yeah - what time Sunday do you want us banging on your door Mike? :wink:

Marc

I can't guarantee that I'll even be around on Sunday morning, Marc lol...

The dive location is 2 streets south of the Commercial Blvd. Pier in Lauderdale by the Sea. We're on the north side of Hibiscus on the beach... can't miss us.
The address is

4200 El Mar Drive,
LBTS, FL 33308.

Parking can be a problem so you can drop your gear and drive 1 short block north to Datura. DON'T FORGET QUARTERS!

MikeJacobs:
Marvel or Jenny would know because they pay attention to such details LOL. It's still skins-weather to me. Bring your wetsuit and you Won't be sorry, however.
Low 80's.... :11:

I'm going to have to bail on the dive this morning as it's 2 am and I'm still up with the flu... hopefully I can get a raincheck.

Joeamit and I were the whole group so he let me convince him that it would be a good idea to take the diveyak out.

The paddle out was easy in spite of my difficulty balancing the air bladders, and as a result Joe was a little tilted to the right... not optimal for paddling but he was a good sport about it.

He WAS a good sport because I kept suggesting we go further and further, and he went along. When we finally tied up we were at the farthest balls north of the Commercial pier. In fact, Scubatyme (a local dive operator) ran our ball over (see other rant), so there were people paying to dive where we were.

Conditions were not as great as we expected. For one, there was a little silt still in the water. But the worst issue was the SILT ON THE CORAL! It wasn't spectacular, so I decided to head back east to the wall (outer edge of the shore-reef). That's a long swim, especially when you haven't had a chance to relax on a nice reef for a while.

Besides, we had a killer south current (we had paddled north, fortunately) and the diveyak dragged me 1' south for every 10' west.

Everything is covered with the silt; all the reefs, all the stuff in between. It was a little like a first-snow up north.

When we hit the pier we ran into a brown, cold haze - Joe never got a chance to play under the pier for all his swimming! A neighbor later explained that runoff is still being dumped (managed) and that was tannin from the Hillsboro outlet (all the way down in FLL!!!).

So, Joe would probably have liked to stay closer to home BUT he got to see reef that few shore divers get to see. AND he got a great workout - that's never a bad thing, right Joe?

For critters, we saw the usual fish, lobster, eels and a medium sized turtle. Water temp varied between 81 and 84, and the south current had to be more than a knott, maybe two, most of the time. Visibility was about 30' but varied as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom