120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
So if you are at a depth of 135', and your primary gas supply fails due to O-ring failure, LP hose failure, 1st or 2nd stage failure, etc, what do you intend to breath then?

Dude please, your not supposed to ask that! Talk about the good...never the bad, never the bad :wink:

scubafool:
So if you are at a depth of 135', and your primary gas supply fails due to O-ring failure, LP hose failure, 1st or 2nd stage failure, etc, what do you intend to breath then?

I thought thats why you dive with a buddy. But I would ajust the mix in the pony when planning the dive. Or just sling a second one.

DTB1981:
I thought thats why you dive with a buddy. But I would ajust the mix in the pony when planning the dive. Or just sling a second one.
Just curious:

How are you planning on rigging up the line to sling it from?
How about regs, what method are you planning on doing as far as stowing the hoses?
Gonna leave the valve on or just pressurize the lines?
How are you going to route the hose when you do switch to it?
Where are you going to clip these tanks off at?

You've got less than 50 dives and want to sling TWO larger pony bottles? This is not, I repeat NOT, a good idea. You need more 'normal diving' experience first.

DTB1981:
And have the pony filled with EAN 40 to use during the safty stop, My computer will do gas switching so It will save me some time on the surface.

Staged deco one of the most dangerous things you can decide to do in water. Carrying a gas that can kill you at depth is dangerous. Think long and hard about this. At 50 dives you likely don't have the experience or skill to do this safely. Get some dives, then get a mentor and training.

Carrying -2- staged gases is even more dangerous. I believe the #1 killer of technical divers is making a bad gas switch to the wrong deco gas? These are guys with 10 or 100 times your dive experience.

Picture yourself at 130 feet, narked, with a 40% bottle and a 21-26% bailout. What kind of procedure are you going to use to ENSURE that you don't go to the wrong gas? The wrong gas that can KILL you? This is dangerous stuff your toying with.

Gas kills and what your contemplating is a far cry from carrying around a bailout pony bottle.

DTB1981:
Or just sling a second one.

Haaa yes, the old "Ill just add another one" solution! I like it!

Doubling a pair of the 80s you already own would seem to be the cheapest way to go.

Manifolds and bands are not all that expensive.

Body recoveries and funerals can cost quite a bit.

Staged deco one of the most dangerous things you can decide to do in water. Carrying a gas that can kill you at depth is dangerous. Think long and hard about this. At 50 dives you likely don't have the experience or skill to do this safely. Get some dives, then get a mentor and training.

Definitely. Absolutely. What he said. Get some training. What you are talking about is something that takes training and procedures. You don't have to make this stuff up as you go- people have already done that for you (and some have died trying to come up with procedures you are trying to re-invent).

:11:
Wow thanks for all the input and concern. Let me try and answer all of your questions and concerns

How are you planning on rigging up the line to sling it from?
How about regs, what method are you planning on doing as far as stowing the hoses?
Gonna leave the valve on or just pressurize the lines?
How are you going to route the hose when you do switch to it?
Where are you going to clip these tanks off at?

May be sling was the wrong word to use; I planned on mounting them on the bottom D-rings on my BC.

The bail out bottle will have the reg ran to a bungee around my neck so I will know where it is at all times

The other one with EAN 40 will have the reg folded back on the tank and bungeed down like a stage bottle should be

Doubling a pair of the 80s you already own would seem to be the cheapest way to go.
Manifolds and bands are not all that expensive.

I have been looking around here on Okinawa and the doubling will be about the same or more than an hp 120. A good manifold is about 225 and straps are 130. And a new 120 is 350.

I am just getting started I have know that I have not been diving all that long. But by the time I get all of it set up and tanks cleaned and Nitrox ready I should have over 100 dives if there are no more typhoons on the way. I log 10 or more dives a week when the weather is good. Most of the sites are between 1/2 and 4 miles from where I live.

Dose any one know of any good books or sites about deco diving I would like to learn a little more about it before I decide to take a class and find out if it is somthing I would want to do.

I said my bit, I'm punching out on the conversation as I don't want to be party to you hurting your self. There is a massive disjoint and you don't seem to get it in a clear and obvious way.

Go get some training and do it sooner than later.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom