120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC:
I said my bit, I'm punching out on the conversation as I don't want to be party to you hurting your self. There is a massive disjoint and you don't seem to get it in a clear and obvious way.

Go get some training and do it sooner than later.

Dive safe.

The more I have been reading I think I will just stay away from the pony bottle the 120 and the double 80's

I may just get a steel 80 or 100 to reduce the weight I have to carry to the water or may be just get a couple more alum 80's

why mess with what I know and what I have set up already

The only real reason that I have to get anthing more than an alum 80 is because that dive shop will not let any one go on a dive to the USS Emmons without at least a steel 100. It is at 135 ft. I guess after looking around and at all the extra stuff I could do I have gone over board. I have not been on a deco dive or plan on ever doing one any time soon. Do you thing getting a pony for deeper dive would be a bad Idea?

DTB1981:
Do you thing getting a pony for deeper dive would be a bad Idea?

In a word...yes. A pony is only going to create more problems than they will solve. I think your first purchase should be some additional training that will get you going in the proper direction. I know all this stuff can cost a bit of money, but this is your life and there is no substitution for proper training. :)

Good luck,

Man, I didnt even see you were in Okinawa! You are pretty lucky because you have a lot of GOOD resources available. First know that Torii and Reef encounters sell bands and manifolds, also C , Gary at Torii and Doug at RE are tech divers who know what they are talking about (Gary is a NAUI TEC instructor and GUE Tech, cave and RB cert). There is a local forum where there are many folks in your shoes www.goatdawgs.com ck it out.

You got a lil ahead of yourself but thats Ok it happens, you can now see how people get into convoluted systems. Also a DIR-F instructor is moving on island next month. SO good luck, be safe.

Using redundant gas for deep dives is a GREAT idea. It's a matter of HOW you do it that is the concern. And the fact that you want to do it at the depths you are talking about without having adequate training.

I will second what others have said here. What you are talking about doing here is technical diving, and you are approaching it like it's recreational. That is a recipe for trouble. We don't want to see you die my friend. PLEASE take training before you do these dives. God know's there is a LOT of stuff I want to see below 100 feet, but there is no WAY I'll be down there without at least a year's worth of diving, and taking at least 2 more classes.

I wish you all the best man.

boomx5:
In a word...yes. A pony is only going to create more problems than they will solve. I think your first purchase should be some additional training that will get you going in the proper direction. I know all this stuff can cost a bit of money, but this is your life and there is no substitution for proper training. :)

Good luck,

What kind of training do you recomend?
Byond the PADI classes I have already had

I do live on Okinawa and tech classes are far and few. But they do happen. When they can get an instructor in from the states.

To get in the class you have to have a BP wing With doubles. Set up the DIR way

DTB1981:
Do you thing getting a pony for deeper dive would be a bad Idea?

Yes and no. While it defiantly provides some redundancy I also feel that a 135foot dive requires more than just strapping on a pony and following a computer into deco. I wouldn't do a dive to that depth without doubles and staged deco gas and experience with both. Many people would require helium at that depth as well.

If you do get a pony for the love of god don't put a hot mix into it without knowing what your doing and being prepared for it.

DTB1981:
What kind of training do you recomend?
Byond the PADI classes I have already had

I do live on Okinawa and tech classes are far and few. But they do happen. When they can get an instructor in from the states.

To get in the class you have to have a BP wing With doubles. Set up the DIR way

Actually,

Waterdawg has some excellent advise in his previous post. Let us know how it goes. :)

I am only certified to 130 is why I said that. I dont ever plan on going into deco. But I would like some extra air if somthing happened at 100 to 110ft. and by chance go into deco. With the alum 80 I come within 1 min of my NDL the come up with just enough air to do the safty stop and have between 700 an 800 psi left in the tank.

I am glad to see that you are rethinking things.

Concerning the pony bottle, redundancy can be a good thing. But if you get complacent because you know you have the pony bottle, that is a bad thing.

Working on staying close to & aware of a buddy is another type of redundancy. And it doesn't cost anything but effort.

Back
Top Bottom