14 weeks in Indonesia next summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andreni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

You helped me a lot with our north sulawesi-trip this summer. Sorry for not posting a trip report, I think my english isn't good enough for an interesting story. But I'm glad to reply any questions, just feel free to ask (Living colours, NAD, Lembeh Resort and Blue Bay Divers were our hosts).

We are already planning our next trip, which will be in Indonesia again. 14 weeks from beginning of July to mid October 2013. My first idea was flying to Jakarta, either traveling over land to Bali and fly from there to Alor or fly directly Kupang / Alor from Jakarta. Of course we would like to do some diving in Alor (is the diving worth the long trip?). Afterwards I thougt about going to Maumere (of course doing some diving there) and then traveling over land to Labuan Bajo for a diving safari in Komodo National Park. It is difficult to estimate the time we will use for this but afterwards Bali and if it is not possible to extend the visa there a visa run to Malaysia (of course with diving around Sipadan :D) would be an option. Then heading to the east would be the plan. If I'm informed correctly a stop in Makkassar is necessary to go to Ambon from practically everywhere in Indonesia. I know, theoretically it is rainy season in central Ambon and weather forecasts are always tricky but is Ambon diveable from let's say mid September to beginning of October? If not would central sulawesi be an option? In the worst case we are going again to north sulawesi (we really loved Bangka and also Lembeh was very good!). Do you think this is feasible in 14 weeks? Any tips for dive shops, hotels, trips, etc.? We are glad for every single input as we are planning the milestones with our travel agency in a short time. Please be aware that we are traveling on a low to midrange budget (for example Malukku divers in Ambon is over our limit but a diving safari in Komodo is a must). We don't want to dive every day (or at least our budget doesn't allow :(). Hope I didn't forget anything..

Looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards from Switzerland
Andreni

Nobody? Not even a tiny tiny tip? I would be so glad to hear from your experiences in the different regions of Indonesia. I'm still not sure if the plan is "too bing" for 14 weeks. Would you book the inland flights in advance? I've read that they are often fully booked out quite some time ahead..

Still hoping for some tips and responses :kiss2:..

Sounds like an amazing trip :)! I backpacked around Indo on budget dive trips but missed many of the locations you mentioned. But did make it to Sipadan, Bali (many times), Bunakan/Lembeh and Pulau Weh, then many destinations in the Philippines. Happy to share info from these destinations if you PM.

I'm confused Kathydee. If you have information for the OP, why can't you post it here? I'd be interested, and maybe many other SB members would be too. Thanks!

Sebayur Island, Komodo resort was great..not really budget..great staff and Italian cuisine. Great snorkling on the island and short boat trips to superb diving. Was there in September...Mantas galore and everything else except Whale Sharks. Strong currents...check them out. Komodo is truly amazing however you do it.

Hi all

You helped me a lot with our north sulawesi-trip this summer. Sorry for not posting a trip report, I think my english isn't good enough for an interesting story. But I'm glad to reply any questions, just feel free to ask (Living colours, NAD, Lembeh Resort and Blue Bay Divers were our hosts).

We are already planning our next trip, which will be in Indonesia again. 14 weeks from beginning of July to mid October 2013. My first idea was flying to Jakarta, either traveling over land to Bali and fly from there to Alor or fly directly Kupang / Alor from Jakarta. Of course we would like to do some diving in Alor (is the diving worth the long trip?). Afterwards I thougt about going to Maumere (of course doing some diving there) and then traveling over land to Labuan Bajo for a diving safari in Komodo National Park. It is difficult to estimate the time we will use for this but afterwards Bali and if it is not possible to extend the visa there a visa run to Malaysia (of course with diving around Sipadan :D) would be an option. Then heading to the east would be the plan. If I'm informed correctly a stop in Makkassar is necessary to go to Ambon from practically everywhere in Indonesia. I know, theoretically it is rainy season in central Ambon and weather forecasts are always tricky but is Ambon diveable from let's say mid September to beginning of October? If not would central sulawesi be an option? In the worst case we are going again to north sulawesi (we really loved Bangka and also Lembeh was very good!). Do you think this is feasible in 14 weeks? Any tips for dive shops, hotels, trips, etc.? We are glad for every single input as we are planning the milestones with our travel agency in a short time. Please be aware that we are traveling on a low to midrange budget (for example Malukku divers in Ambon is over our limit but a diving safari in Komodo is a must). We don't want to dive every day (or at least our budget doesn't allow :(). Hope I didn't forget anything..

Looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards from Switzerland
Andreni

Lucky you to spend 14 weeks traveling and diving in Indonesia. And the time of year you have chosen is great.
I'll focus on the diving aspects only, since that's a lot to cover already. The first thing I notice about your itinerary is that you zig and zag a lot. I'd say that if you are going east, just go east all at once--why go to Alor and then back to Bali and then back to Ambon, for example?

Going east==

Alor: Yes, it's worth it. However, it's most often dived by liveaboard rather than from a land-based resort. Are you up for more than one liveaboard during your 14 weeks?

Ambon: The last time I tried to book somebody to Ambon in the summer, I found that the resorts were closed and the liveaboards doing trips elsewhere, even though theoretically you can dive year round. I'd skip this one.

East Timor: It's no longer Indonesia, but it might make a good opportunity to leave Indo and re-enter with a new visa. Summer is THE best time to dive there.

Going back west==

Maumere: Here you can dive easily from a land-based resort since the diving is in Maumere Bay.

Komodo: Here I advise very strongly doing a liveaboard.

Bali: If you can finish up in or near Bali in August/September, I would recommend Lembongan island to see the mola-molas. If you've still got time, do a Bali safari to Tulamben and Menjangan as well. All land-based, with overland transfers.

Booking domestic air tickets is often difficult to impossible outside Indonesia. In my experience, you don't need to book a whole lot in advance. Just find a travel agency in Jakarta when you get there and work with them. You have a lot of flexibility in your schedule, so if flights are booked on one day, go the next day!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks.

Quero, you are completely right! It was kind of a zig zag. We now amended the plan, skipped Alor (our budget allows only 1 safari and travel individually would take too much time) and will start our trip in Maumere. We give us a 3 - 4 weeks to travel to Labuan Bajo including a diving safari in Komodo. Then go back to Bali to stay 1-2 weeks and travel overland through Java to Jakarta. As this will take us also 2-3 weeks the time for Ambon shouldn't be too bad (estimated for end of September, beginning of October). As we are still open for other options, how could your east - east - route look like, Quero?

If we decide going back west, for the diving safari in Komodo, does somebody know the "Felicia", the "Moana" or the "Duyung" and can tell us which one to chose? Thanks for the Sebayur-tip, lamarpaulski, it looks great to spend some more time in Labuan Bajo-region.

We have been in Bali a year ago and loved Lembongan (and yes, we had 1 mola mola :D). We really consider going back again! Or spend more time in North-Bali and do some muck-diving!

Any new feedbacks regarding Ankermi in Maumere? I read some really bad feedback and at the moment I don't know if I would book it without really strong recommendation. We had a look at seaworld club instead. Does anybody know this?

Looking forward to your responses.

Back
Top Bottom