17 days to split between Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Indo - Raja Ampat, Komodo or Bali??

Flying out of KUL, where should we dive?

• Komodo and Bali

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Raja Ampat and Bali

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • All 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above, see below

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, for the diving, have been in Sulawesi several times and Bali once. Based on everyone's comments, Bali and Komodo sound like solid choices for surfing & diving.

Lived in KL from 2003-2006, and visited again in 2009. It's a good city with great food, but do your research, my info is dated. The train from the airport to town is quick and reasonably priced.

Some suggestions, checked and they're still around, with pretty good reviews. Try sunset drinks at the rooftop Luna Bar, fantastic views of the Petronas twin towers, chill. Hakka restaurant is a good choice for Chinese food in the KLCC area. If you want some giant crabs, take a taxi over to Mei King Fatt. The big hotels like Mandarin Oriental have excellent breakfast & lunch buffets.

Malaysia is a mix of Malay, Chinese and Indian cultures, so in KL all three are very good and authentically local. Surprisingly good Thai, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese restaurants, research online if interested. Have had some fantastic Penang curry in KL, the stuff is catnip.

For a wide variety of tasty treats on a budget try the food courts. Not the ones at KLCC mall but places where the locals eat. Go online to find, they tend to be tucked away. Singapore food courts might be a bit better but different, and KL is probably less expensive for more upscale dining, so decide what you want to do where.

And there's nothing like a bowl of peanuts & salty crunchy dried guppies with a cold Tiger beer, yum.

Have fun!!

Ok, trying to finalize a few flights and need to make some adjsutments.

If you don't mind traveling and flying:

- skip KL; just overnight on May 10th to see the Petronas towers and get a char kuay teow at a streetfood stall on Jalan Alor. Penang was a good idea but when you finish with S'pore it's not worth getting up here just for food, it adds flights and time). If you really insist, I'd suggest take a day trip from KL to Melaka for peranakan food but I don't think it is worth overall compared to the rest of your trip.

May11th
-Fly with Airasia to Lombok and get yourself an accomodation on the south coast (Kuta Lombok - not Bali-) ) this is here where you get the best surf around. You may also take a day trip for visiting the Sasak culture and coutryside.

So we actually arrive at 11:35 PM on the 11th of May. So right off the bat this schedule get's a bit tighter. Am I getting an overwhelming no on KUL? We have a friend that recommended it and I'm thinking we need to detox from the plane ride a bit so maybe an extra night in KUL is warranted. So instead of flying out the 11th for Lombok we would fly out the 13th ($46 with Air Asia0

May 15th
- Hop to Bali immediately arrange a speed boat to Lembongan (Scoot cruise can come and take you from the airport) : you'll have diving (mantas) and surf as well. Go diving in the morning, go surfing in the afternoon or rent scooters to ride around the island. Dine at Indiana Kenanga, great restaurant and french chef Clément (he's an ex surfer from Tahiti btw) book ahead. Their fisherman basket in coconut foam is a killer, for dessert take the pear with liquorice/anis caramel, for really good indo food I like Pondok Baruna, be there early.

Sounds good but because of the previous delay I have this for the 17th

May 18th
- Come back to Bali in the afternoon and go to Ubud : check out and book Hujan Locale restaurant. Their spicy tuna tartare with watermelon and thai basil is one of my favorite starters. Rinse with Chilian white wine. Visit the painting museums in Ubud and have a trek in the rice fields nearby.

This would get moved to the 19th (losing a day)

May 20th
- Get up early and fly to Komodo (LBJ), although I' not sure accessible surf is great there. (I am not an expert) but the diving is some of the best in Indonesia (ses my photo gallery) If budget is critical stay at Dragon Dive Komodo it's a hostel where you can privatize 4 or 6 bed rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Dine at "Le Pirate" or at the local fish market for excellent grilled fish.

This would get moved to the 21st.

May 24th
- take a flight combination to Bali then YogYakarta. Go and see Borobudur and/or Prambanan temples on May25th.

Should I skip this because of my previous delay? It's also the only non-direct flight and costs a little more than the others. We also want to save some time for Singapore. LBJ doesn't fly many places that flys to Singapore except for Jakarta. So maybe we head back to Bali for a night to catch up on the lost days earlier. Or instead of going Lembongan > Ubud I go Lembongan to Komodo, and then Komodo to Ubud.

May 26th fly and overnight in Singapore to have a chili crab.

This would get bumped up to the 24th so we can spend 3 nights in Singapore.

In all that would be 2 nights in KUL (though one of those is pretty much just getting to hotel and crashing), 4 nights in Lombok, 2 Nights in Bali/Lembongan, 2 night in Ubud, 3 Nights in Komodo and 3 nights in Singapore.

Looks good.
I would definitely say skip YogYakarta.
Stay one more night in Bali/ Lembongan or Komodo and drop one in Singapore (so 2 nights in Sing).

I live in Sing and LOVE it!! BUT given your tight schedule I think two nights is enough for now. Drop me a PM and I will give you a heads-up on a few must see places).

Lived in KL from 2003-2006, and visited again in 2009. It's a good city with great food, but do your research, my info is dated. The train from the airport to town is quick and reasonably priced.
The description you write further was the KL I knew and always overnighted at this same period.
Since 2012, I thought it became too much of a luxury mall park (You wouldn't believe the evolution of jl. Bukit Bintang) with hectic traffic and taximeter scams I thought you'd only experience in Istanbul.
I think my last stay in KL was in 2014 and promised I would try to avoid whenever... compared to KL, S'pore looks like a calm quaint city.

The big hotels like Mandarin Oriental have excellent breakfast & lunch buffets.
The good thing with KL is that 5* hoteIs are cheap, I often stayed at Renaissance or NewWorld, twin hotels which are nearby KLCC, with a room view on the Petronas and least expensive than the Mandarin.
The most extraordinary breakfast buffet I had was at the Grand Millenium Bukit Bintang though (better than the Oriental Bangkok, better than the Raffles PhnomPenh, better than the E&O Penang, better than the Ritz KL, better than the Manila Hotel or the ShangriLa Cebu city, to name a few landmark hotels where I stayed)

For a wide variety of tasty treats on a budget try the food courts. Not the ones at KLCC mall but places where the locals eat. Go online to find, they tend to be tucked away. Singapore food courts might be a bit better but different
@AlMitch correct me if I'm wrong, but Lau Pa Sat in S'pore is (was) a cheap no brainer when it comes to varied SEA cuisines in a food court.

Am I getting an overwhelming no on KUL? We have a friend that recommended it and I'm thinking we need to detox from the plane ride a bit so maybe an extra night in KUL is warranted.
For the reasons I mentioned above, the association of "KL" and "detox" doesn't seem obvious to me, add on top a 1h taxi ride to your hotel (if you take the airport train you'll be in the middle of KL looking for another KL taxi to your hotel to KLCC that will anyway take half an hour more)

Do I need to be worried about Lion Air? What about Nam Air or wings Abadi?

Luko, great photos btw ...
"The description you write further was the KL I knew and always overnighted at this same period. ... I think my last stay in KL was in 2014 and promised I would try to avoid whenever... compared to KL, S'pore looks like a calm quaint city."

Will defer to the more recent experiences. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ....

How about the world famous G-Land? You go all the way to Indonesia to surf and skip Grajagan?

Check out this YouTube videos:

732824CA-E623-4A4B-B4F7-FD480ADD7ABF.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom