1st Dive trip question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In October (like September) it is the slow season in Cozumel, have you considered getting a private DM for at least your first dive, Cozumel usually means drift diving, which can be disconcerting the first couple of times? I was there a couple weeks back and I saw several people do this and I believe the cost was only around $50. During the slow season, and this one I am told is worse than normal, there are a lot of under employed DM's on the island. Most shops will either have extra DM's or have affiliates that can be called in for this. On several dives on my last trip I was the only diver so it was like having a private DM.
At any of the shops I have dived with in Mexico, I do not think any would have had any problems with swapping your personnel AI or 2nd stage onto their rental rig. Call the dive OP you plan on using and check. OK, I cannot resist plugging my favorite dive OP, but if you haven’t picked an OP yet, check out Tres Pelicanos, Jennie can set you up with whatever you need.
If I had to choose between a Reg or Computer, I would start with a wrist style computer first, personnel I like Oceanic’s dual Algorithm models. AI’s pressure gauges can fail, I have had it happen. I now run a wrist computer and AI computer and a backup gauge. I really want to know how much air I have left, I know if I can see the surface I can make it back up but I really do not want to do an emergency accent from 100’.

However, budget dictates that i can't buy everything at once, so I'm trying to decide rather to make my 1st purchase a reg or a computer. So, the question. :) If i buy a console type-computer that is AI, will the dive shops allow me to connect it to their 1st stage? Same if i were to buy a reg first, will i be allowed to connect their rental computer to my reg?

Answer this question - to yourself.
How many dives are you going to do a year?
If you buy gear, it will cost around $120 per kit for servicing each year - for two of you that's times two.
This assumes that you are like me and don't have the skill set to do it yourself.

If you are only going to do one - one week dive trip a year. the rental cost may be the same as the service cost and you will have saved the initial investment cost. Just a thought.

If you plan to dive a lot - definitely purchase your gear at some point in time.

If you know the type of BCD you want, I recommend that as your next purchase. Essentially no service needed (can do it yourself), you know it will fit, where everything is and you can pick up a good one at a reasonable price.

Then work toward the regulator/computer setup as a package deal when you can afford it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like having my computer in the console. Makes it all but impossible to forget at home before a trip, and much more difficult to misplace (or get stolen) in the chaos of a dive boat. I had a wrist mounted compass end up in someone else's mesh bag on a trip a couple years ago. Lucklily it made it back to me.

To the OP, couple things. First, I have the Zoop and like it a lot. Second, I'd buy everything together to get the package discount. If that's a ways off, I'd just rent everything for this trip. When you're down there, take a look at everyone else's gear and ask them what they like or don't like about it. Chances are, you'll get some well thought-out opinions that may help you when it comes time to purchase your own gear.

James

I second the non-AI computer for the lower price and simplicity at the moment. You can put many computers on your wrist by just buying a wrist mount for it. In other words, it doesn't have to be Brand or Model X. It just has to capable of fitting in the wrist mount or already be in a wrist mount setting.

For any gear purchased in advance, go and test it BEFORE going on the trip. Even just in a swimming pool, so you have some idea of how it works and how well it fits, and can make any necessary changes.

And Jim L, you know they aren't going to plan anything , right? Just like everyone else, you go get on the boat and dive with everyone else. Here's one thing you can plan: stay shallower. Air is less compressed at shallower depth so it will last longer. Check your air and depth often and enjoy the dive!

Note: Dealing with new gear is going to be the as dealing with rental gear, so moot point. I'd have to agree with most here and get the wrist computer that if wanted to later on mount onto a console.

Whatever you do go slow..snorkel a bit first..strongly consider hiring your own DiveMaster for first dive(s). Let them know your rookie status. Some operators pop up consistently as being outstanding...research Cozumel here on SB. Beautiful beautiful place. Totally ridiculous to miss diving.imho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom