Noob question on cleaning regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[T]here's a LOT of us that have been just doing exactly what @lowwall is saying for a LOT of years...and with no issues...
Yeah, but a few of you guys doing exactly that, whose gear I had serviced, over the years, managed to bump me up to business class on a recent trip -- having had to replace pricey components and to break out the phosphoric acid to remove heavy interior corrosion of many a first and second stage.

Just keep a cheap, small pony tank on hand; soak the pressurized things in a Rubbermaid tub for a few hours, with no apologies; and I'll wind up flying in the equivalent of Titanic steerage for the rest of my days . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.37 PM.png
    311.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.26 PM.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.27.13 PM.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, but a few of you guys doing exactly that, whose gear I had regularly serviced, over the years, managed to bump me up to business class on my last trip -- having had to replace components and to break out the phosphoric acid to remove the interior corrosion of many a first and second stage.

Just keep a cheap, small tank on hand; soak the pressurized damn things in a Rubbermaid tub for a few hours, with no apologies; and I'll wind up flying in the equivalent of Titanic steerage for the rest of my days . . .
If the cause of that corrosion was water getting into the interior of the first stage during cleaning (as opposed to overall neglect), then the exterior and the ambient chamber would be clean. I doubt that's the case here.

As you can see, varied responses. I’ve always been in the soak pressurized camp. My firsts are sealed diaphragm, so very little reason to soak those. I just soak the seconds and rinse the firsts and tanks thoroughly. Making sure to pay attention to the DIN threads.

A small tank certainly wouldn’t hurt.

If the cause of that corrosion was water getting into the interior of the first stage during cleaning (as opposed to overall neglect), then the exterior and the ambient chamber would be clean. I doubt that's the case here.
That was simply an illustration of the level of corrosion that I typically see at any given time -- and just didn't have a photo of a seawater-affected primary section of a regulator on hand; but I assure you, that it is just as bad . . .

That was simply an illustration of the level of corrosion that I typically see at any given time -- and just didn't have a photo of a seawater-affected primary section of a regulator on hand; but I assure you, that it is just as bad . . .
Again, if it's "seawater affected" corrosion, then it's not due to rinsing unpressurized.

I'm not disputing that getting moisture in your first stage is bad. What I am disputing is that it's going to happen from soaking a regset with a decent dust cap in place. The only way I could think of to do that is to have the first stage in the water and lower than the second, open the purge on a second and swish vigorously. So don't do that :)

FWIW, I soak the whole regset in freshwater. Then I swish the first stage around to hopefully clear out any remaining grains of sand or debris. Then I put the first stage higher than the water level - around the back of my neck unless there's a handy place to hang it - before working on the second stages.

Again, if it's "seawater affected" corrosion, then it's not due to rinsing unpressurized.
I misspoke -- and should have just mentioned "water-affected" -- had seawater on the brain . . .

While I'm sure pressurized rinsing is the best rinsing method, I have my doubts it's worth actually spending money to do, if you don't already have the equipment laying around.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of regulators in the world, never see the luxury of pressurized rinsing, and they mostly last reasonably long lifespans.

Personally, a day of diving already takes enough time, when it's over the last thing I want to do is spend more time fiddling around with pressurized rinsing.

I'm not disputing that getting moisture in your first stage is bad. What I am disputing is that it's going to happen from soaking a regset with a decent dust cap in place. The only way I could think of to do that is to have the first stage in the water and lower than the second, open the purge on a second and swish vigorously. So don't do that :)

FWIW, I soak the whole regset in freshwater. Then I swish the first stage around to hopefully clear out any remaining grains of sand or debris. Then I put the first stage higher than the water level - around the back of my neck unless there's a handy place to hang it - before working on the second stages.
It can happen if you soak an Atomic regulator unpressurized due to their seat saver feature - regardless of the dust cap being in place. I bought a little 6 cu ft tank to be able to soak my regs pressurized in the tub when I get back from a dive trip.

Personally, a day of diving already takes enough time, when it's over the last thing I want to do is spend more time fiddling around with pressurized rinsing.
I can spare ten seconds and a tub soaking to avoid a later headache . . .

Back
Top Bottom