Noob question on cleaning regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving for about 10 years, but only just bought my first set of gear. I'm probably getting into the weeds, but I have a question about cleaning my regs after a trip: Is it a good idea to buy a small tank whose only purpose would be to pressurize the regs for soaking after a multi-dive trip (during which I'll be rinsing after every dive, of course)? Or can you get good results by just being careful while rinsing the second stages? (I don't intend to buy a regular cylinder -- I'm landlocked in Colorado.)

I apologize if this is a common question here. If it is, all my searching somehow missed the mark.

It's not a bad idea.

But frankly... Do you have a yoke first stage? If so, I don't think there's anything wrong with making sure the dust cap (makes sure it has a solid sealing surface) is on tight and just soaking the reg set in the bathtub for an hour or three.

Note: when he says "replace your dust cap", he means "put you dust cap back on".

It's not a bad idea.

But frankly... Do you have a yoke first stage? If so, I don't think there's anything wrong with making sure the dust cap (makes sure it has a solid sealing surface) is on tight and just soaking the reg set in the bathtub for an hour or three.
It's a DIN, and I have a yoke adapter and dust caps for both.

Thanks.

It's not a bad idea.

Totally agree with this..... Yeah...having a soaking reg under pressure is a nice failsafe.....but there's a LOT of us that have been just doing exactly what @lowwall is saying for a LOT of years...and with no issues...

PS..... Most folks have their water heater in the garage. For a very small investment you can run a line from there to the exterior hose-bib (that's probably also right outside your garage) so you'll have that exterior hot fresh water option for rinsing dive gear...... Great for boats, trucks, dogs.....too!

64cEtj4.jpg

iDVevvl.jpg

If you own a small pony bottle (e.g., Luxfer Al 19) or drysuit inflation bottle (e.g., Luxfer Al6), you could use this for pressurizing your reg and then submerging both your reg and the bottle in the tub (say) for a long soak before washing the reg.

I've always washed my regs only with water flowing liberally from a garden hose or hand-held shower nozzle, with the regulator pressurized. Manipulate all the knobs, buttons, swivels, etc., as you wash with the hose, flooding all the "holes" (e.g., the holes to the ambient pressure chamber of your first stage).

This approach continues to keep my regs healthy. I still dive my first and oldest reg, a SP Mk 10 + BA that I purchased new in 1987.

ETA: Moreover, if you're staying in a hotel, you can take your reg and pony/inflation bottle to your room to soak in the tub.

rx7diver

Rinse them pressurized (better) or not, and then hang them up with a standard desk fan blowing on them for about 24 hours. Shake the water out a couple times and blow through the mouthpiece to get some water out of the insides. Hanging under a fan is the best way to dry most dive gear.

I just dunk them (with the caps on). I wouldnt worry about being pressurized

I soak my regulators in warm water following exposure to salt water, it helps to dissolve salt deposits or at least makes my hands more comfortable as I brush the regulator with a toothbrush around the areas where deposits can accumulate. I will leave the equipment to soak for 6 to 8 hours after a salt water dive, only an hour or so if in fresh water. That said, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've done a pressurize and soak in the last 45+ years. I have regulators that are over 70 years old [Aqualung Trademark Green and Blue Labels] that are still dive worthy, so it must be working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom