1st Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the post. I wouldn't have thought it possible, still question the sanity, safetey, and DEFINTATELY won't be diving that kind of water in that kind of protection, but, hey - congrats on having a good dive!:D

Good work on the dive. I had to abort today's dive because it was too windy. It was so windy that a large fish was beaten to death against the rocks and seagulls were having trouble landing on it for lunchtime.

It looks like I was wrong about the exposure gear. It sounds like you've found something that works out well for you. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but there we go.

well, I wouldnt say you were wrong on the exposure gear, the three mil at 34f water only allowed for about 15 minutes of dive time. like I said, I will do this one more time, then if I'm gonna do it again, it will be in a dry suit. But for fifteen minutes its definetly doable, there was another guy out there in his 7 mil, he stayed down about 20 minutes, but for an extra 5 minutes durring an Ice dive, I wont bother with the 7 mil. If I had to go to a 7 mil, I just wouldnt Ice dive,, I was that uncomfortable yesterday, possibly the size,, could go to a 4x ,, but then summer diving would suck to. My fiance wears a 5 mil and I wear the 3mil and it works perfect for us, because I can tolerate cold better than her. So, one more dive and I'll have the cert card, tho it may be next season, we're running outa time and ice, and I'm in no big hurry just to have another piece of plastic in my wallet.

Ok, with a 2 piece 3mm, gloves, hood and boots... you should be able to stay alive for around 2 to 4 hours.. depending.... so a 15 minute dive gives you lots of margin for error.

And in say 34 degree water, your mouth would be... ah 34 degrees...having done a lot of ice dives, your description is missing a few details...

Ah yes, I didnt want to write a book on the subject but yes, my mouth was cold, not to the point of blubbering like an idiot when I got out of the water tho, it was tolerable while under, else I would have called the dive even sooner. yes, I had mittens, hood and boots, did not use warm water befor I went in as others suggested, they had it available, but I didnt use it. There is no way possible that I could have stayed under for 2 hours,, I dont know what other details there could be as far as the cold, I do have pictures once the better half gets them off her camera, not sure how to post them on here, but if anyone is questioning as to if I did this or not, I can post pictures or send them via email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom