Question Ice diving in the United States?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, my buddy and I are planning to try ice diving and learn dry suit diving in the holiday season. I am look for some recommandtions on good dive sites/dive shops for ice diving the United States. :D

It's best to be proficient in drysuit diving before you go ice diving. Dry suit diving has many nuisances and different skillset than wetsuit. Being under the ice is not the place to learn drysuit.
So that being said, you could dive 7mm wetsuit, it'll keep you warm but you will have some movement restrictions.
Either way, good luck and have fun.

Don't see much ice diving around Atlanta (if your profile is accurate)
Where would you like to go?

I would say to start with the drysuit. Then work into colder waters with the drysuit. Then finally think about ice.
Anyplace that wants to do it all at once, I would not recommend.

Minnesota I presume. Maine when the ice is thick enough like here in NS?

Minnesota I presume. Maine when the ice is thick enough like here in NS?
Northern New York, on the St Lawrence, We did ice diving out of Alexandria Bay. Nice old paddle-wheeler to see under the ice. Scuba Diving Site – Wreck of the Islander | Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce

florida is probably not the best choice eh? :)

I am in southern Ontario, Canada and have managed to ice dive at Gilboa quarry in Ohio once.
Usually, I have to go north for decent ice diving conditions though.

However… this is an El Niño year, and that usually means a warm winter for the Great Lakes. I am not expecting favourable ice diving conditions within a 6 hour drive in any direction for this winter.

I am in southern Ontario, Canada and have managed to ice dive at Gilboa quarry in Ohio once.
Usually, I have to go north for decent ice diving conditions though.

However… this is an El Niño year, and that usually means a warm winter for the Great Lakes. I am not expecting favourable ice diving conditions within a 6 hour drive in any direction for this winter.
That's unfortunate, I'm in Ohio and wanted to try ice diving too. We didn't have ice last year at the local quarries where I could get a class. Wasn't planning on further travel or waiting another year...

Back
Top Bottom