1st Lionfish Hunter Specialty Course offered in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are staying down at the Wyndham that's going to be a long haul to go up north. They will also have to be very advanced divers to dive up there. I guess they can stay shallow but they are probably not going to find too many in the shallow areas.

I hope that any divers they are signing up are advanced divers. You need excellent buoyancy control to shoot them. I don't know what your definition of shallow is, but was up there a few days ago and on 2nd dive we were in 60-80 feet of water and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a lionfish. :D Plus current was very minimal there (not so much on our first dive where I just watched them as I flew past!).

Between the 3 of us hunting, we took out about 20 of the little nasties.

They are holding the classes in the PADI advanced diver pool. Lion fish where netted by the dozens and let go in the pool. It likely like shooting fish in a barrel.:D
The left hand is two hours after my forefinger knuckle got hit. It was still incredibly aching. The swelling made my skin feel tight. I was worried it stretched the skin. ;p

Attachments

• Lion fish sting, left hand, Dec,6 2010 001.jpg
    Lion fish sting, left hand, Dec,6 2010 001.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 10,278
I just saw this thread and I swear I can not eve fathom spending 180.00 for a fricken course plus another 250.00 or so to help with this problem....

You, I, all of us would like to see this Lion Fish problem get under control and eventually completely resolved... But to charge for a class and buying some meatball apparatus that could be made on the cheep just blows me away...!

I use to have a Lion Fish in my salt tank many years ago so if you want to inform divers of the nasty sting, fine... do so but if you want to try and nip this problem in the bud... Well, you have a whole group of divers who would be more than willing to help remove as many of these critters as possible...! Here is the catch... We wont charge anybody a dime!!! Shoot, we will pay for the air if the tourist industry is unwilling to help us to help them...

Look, I get it... If I want to continue to enjoy what I love to do then I should want to help with this project... Well I do want to help but I will be damn if I pay 1 fricken cent for some sort of BS class that they (the entire seafood, tourist, and dive industry) would be grateful to have us do...

They should be paying us...!!!

You want to protect your damn reefs??? Quit letting these idiots who have no buoyancy control jump in with cameras!!! Let them train butt naked with nothing but fire coral around and either there buoyancy will improve or they will get the hell out of the water!!!

Now honestly, I really don't care much if I have ticked off anyone much... But if you want to try and take care of this problem then let us go and get em...! and if someone wants to pay for my air... well, now we have some team work going!!!

Respectfully, lee

la diver - We use the E.L.F. cuase it's the most efficent and safest. And it won't damage other delicate marine life. They are also avalible to rent as well. Plus there will be a special if you'd like to buy one at the Cozumel session for $129.​

A lionfish cert card.. For Real!?! LOL If anyone REALLY wants to learn how to hunt lionfish effectively & safely, simply volunteer with the Marine Park in Cozumel or contact me about going out with an Op that specializes in lionfish hunts North of the Marine park..

As for the E.L.F. Spear.. What a load of crap.. "Most Efficient..." "Safest..." "Won't damage the reef.." All of those are covered by being a competent diver/hunter, NOT paying a ridiculous price for a spear that is NO more effective than the trident or paralyzer tipped Hawaiian style rigs.. You can get them at the link below for $56.
I've never seen a DM in Cozumel use an ELF but I have seen a majority of them using the Aquacraft 5.5 Travel Sling.. Go figure..
5_5 Ft Travel Sling discounts on sale Trident
Add a tank O-Ring to adjust the spread.. Take out the center section to reduce the size..

The 3 prong has been around for 50 years and a short shaft no sling has been used by bug divers all over the pacific, what is the patent on? No rubber sling?? :rofl3:

heh. Jeremy was by my place this evening and I told him about this thread. He said Living Underwater would do this for half the price. I think he was only half joking. It's hard to tell.:blinking:

The ELF tool is nice in that you cock it and hit a button, I think, to shoot it but the price is ridiculous and the certification, well I wonder if you also have to pay the extra $30 for the card. How many people are going to swim around with their ELF locked and loaded, only to get distracted and accidently hit the button and then oops, OUCH! Kudos to whoever it was that wanted to educate folks on the proper method for trying to rid the reefs of lionfish but it just really looks like a veiled effert to sell ELF's...

On another note, a recommendation to DM"s with groups. Please do not become so pre-occupied with killing the lionfish that you forget that your poor divers are dying trying to fight the current waiting for you while you take time to wonder where the fish went in the reef when you missed on your first shot.

Another LF question... If we dive up north out of the marine park, is there a problem with taking a bunch of the little guys and taking them home to filet? This assumes, of course, that we have been properly certified on how to kill them... that still cracks me up.

Back
Top Bottom