2 OW divers need lil help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c1212

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I just completed our OW cert this last weekend and we have 2 additional solo dives under our belts... woo-hoo!

We will be in Key West for a wedding and I have been scouring this site for the operator to use and places to dive in KEY WEST. I see that the reefs aren't as good there and that everyone says to do the Vandenberg. I even read a few threads from other newly certified OW divers were going to dive this site.

Question: With our limited experience, should we avoid the Vandenburg dive? We are in LA area and our deepest dives were 40 ft at Annacapa Island. We are very comfortable underwater... but just not sure. My gut says NO... but several posts from others led me to believe that we'd be fine.

Thanks!
Edwin

Yes the Vandie has been opened up for OW peeps but I would tell anyone who has not been diving for a while and only OW to stay away. The current can rip on the Vandie and you are probably not used to depths in blue water, which can get you in trouble very easily. Before you know it your at 120' and didn't even realize it. I would say stay on the reefs and have a great time. Check out this to help you find your way http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/231435-florida-keys-guide.html

With your limited experience, I would NOT dive the Vandenberg....even if an operator says you can....which I doubt they would. Listen to your gut, it can give you quite sound advise.

Having dove the Vandenberg several times it's not one for the inexperienced. There's plenty of shallow reefs off Key West that you can enjoy. Get some experience and leave the wrecks for another dive in the future.

My shop dives the wrecks in the Upper Keys and most of the shops here will not let newly certified divers dive on our wrecks. It's just not safe. A newly certified diver just doesn't have the skills developed to safely dive a wreck that sits in deep (130' plus) water. Air consumption and currents are just two of the major issues a new diver may have to deal with.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

I totally agree with the others. Your gut is telling you no for a reason. Listen to it.

Afterr 40 plus years of diving and flying my gut has kept me alive and happy, and I still listen to it. You will have plenty of oportunity to wreck dive when you BOTH are readyt for it.

Addressing your question of where to dive otherwise, I'd suggest going just a few miles up the road to dive Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. While you requested ops on Key West, I think a 20-minute drive would be worth it for the quality of reef and life you'll find on Looe Key.

It's also nice and shallow at 20-30 feet, and easy to navigate.

I just want to jump in here and emphasize others' points. It is far too advanced for new divers. Many of my very experienced dive pals have dived it, and they said the current is treacherous. KBeck has a WONDERFUL idea, Looe Key Marine Sanctuary is an AWESOME dive and it's just 30 minutes up the road. Dive that and then go back to Key West to party.

the vandie would be nice but there is also some other wrecks that you can dive in shallower water. Problem is alot of charters are stuck on going to the vandie and don't wanna hit up everything else. I went diving with subtropic dive center and asked them about doing joe's tug and they said they do go once a week and just have to set it up.

The reefs are really nice I seen a good sized shark and a bunch of huge baracuda. If you do do the reef I suggest taking a little light to be able to look inside the little holes.

You can also do a 1 reef and 1 wreck dive in the same day which is what I wanted to do but my schedule was too tight to move my dive date. I hope this helps a little.

You guys don't know what you're talking about... I am going to dive the vandenberg anyway... NOT! Just playing..... Great advice... thank you so much everyone for chiming in... one post had me convinced to stay away until I am more experienced... but hearing from multiple people really helps so i know I am making the right decision and have no regrets.

SPEARGIRL: I saw the "Florida Keys Guide" before I posted and it looks like a great resource... but it just SO MUCH INFO for noobs like us that it sort of confused me more. Maybe once I've been there and experienced some of the keys it will help me if I happen to be back in the future...

Looe Key Marine Sanctuary sounds like the place to go... decision made!

Thanks again!!!! Edwin

If you have never been, here's my Reader's Digest Keys guide. With a few exceptions, diving in the Keys means diving off a boat. If you want to party, go to Key West. If you want to dive, go to Key Largo. People joke there are more dive operators than gas stations in Key Largo and I think there's some truth to it. There are lots of operators and everyone has their favorite but I believe they are all reputable and close in price. Remember, it's how they make a living.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom