2 quick questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not at all a fan of it, but the cinch harness is designed so that it is made with a continuous piece of webbing, so that if the hardware fails, the rig still remains attached to you.

Now, if we can stop trolling and return to the original topic:
Dhboner- You've gotten some great answers from great folks already. Just wanted to add that you can (and in fact, I did) pass GUE Fundamentals without a can light. I did just that, and still dive with only two "backup" lights (the very cheap Dorcy II/PenetratorII's that Piranha sells) and no can light. That said, once you use a Goodman handle and get comfortable with it, you'll start saving the pennies to buy a can light ;-). Other attributes that are important in lighting are a bright, narrow beam (to facilitate signaling--probably the most unrecognized and most important benefit of a light), and for backup-style lights, being twist-on (switches break) and having a single attachment point at the rear (even the Dorcy's don't work as well to mount to the harness, because the hole is offset from the center so they sit a little funny).

I have always been under the impression that in order to get a tech pass from fundies, a can light is required.

I have always been under the impression that in order to get a tech pass from fundies, a can light is required.

Certainly true, because the tech pass is designed to allow you to move on to training where the environment all but dictates a can light. No one would suggest that someone who passed Fundies in a single tank or without a can light (e.g. a rec pass) wasn't GUE-compliant during those dives, however.

That wasn't the question though, as I understood it. The OP seemed to be asking, "Can I dive without a can light and still be DIR?" or similarly, "Do I have to dive a can light to dive with my newly DIR-enthusiastic son?" The answer in both cases is that a can light is not necessary, although two good backup-style lights would not be a bad idea, and once he sees the benefits of a can light he may want one as well.

Now that's a very helpful answer. I'm a little long in the tooth for socratic teaching on the internet so I apologize for being short with you. Thanks.

Dhboner, FWIW, I'm with you. By the time our hair turns gray, we don't have the patience for the Socratic method. I was once stuck on a sailboat for 11 days with a sailing instructor who insisted on all that Socratic stuff. It was my boat, so in the middle of the trip, I told him that his method was terrible and I essentially ended the training services. He did retain his captaining duties. Too bad, though, he was an extremely knowledgeable sailor. I could have learned a lot more from him.

Dhboner, FWIW, I'm with you. By the time our hair turns gray, we don't have the patience for the Socratic method. I was once stuck on a sailboat for 11 days with a sailing instructor who insisted on all that Socratic stuff. It was my boat, so in the middle of the trip, I told him that his method was terrible and I essentially ended the training services. He did retain his captaining duties. Too bad, though, he was an extremely knowledgeable sailor. I could have learned a lot more from him.

Actually, if you wanted me to list a criticism of GUE courses/instructors its that they tend to overuse the Socratic method. That kind of teaching comes in great when you actually have a student that is resisting the education and you can just take them out into water and ask them to try that really in the water. Great to have in a back-pocket for the difficult occasions. Often overused in GUE courses in lecture settings -- comes over as very pompous when you have intelligent students in the course who aren't really opposed to the knowledge and you don't need a dialectical argument style.

BTW, isn't there a possibility that tank protectors will manage to trap saltwater and promote corrosion? Obviously not if you're religious about rinsing your gear, but otherwise it would seem to promote corrosion. And I don't think it really solves a problem since scrapes and wear don't cause tanks to fail VIP -- although bubbled paint that traps corrosion wouldn't be good, but that's an argument for brushed or shot-blasted tanks without paint.

Dunno, though, I've never owned a tank protector...

Beat up looking tanks also make you look like more of a badass tech diver... Pristine beautiful tanks indicate an internet diver... =)

Actually, if you wanted me to list a criticism of GUE courses/instructors its that they tend to overuse the Socratic method. That kind of teaching comes in great when you actually have a student that is resisting the education and you can just take them out into water and ask them to try that really in the water. Great to have in a back-pocket for the difficult occasions. Often overused in GUE courses in lecture settings -- comes over as very pompous when you have intelligent students in the course who aren't really opposed to the knowledge and you don't need a dialectical argument style.

BTW, isn't there a possibility that tank protectors will manage to trap saltwater and promote corrosion? Obviously not if you're religious about rinsing your gear, but otherwise it would seem to promote corrosion. And I don't think it really solves a problem since scrapes and wear don't cause tanks to fail VIP -- although bubbled paint that traps corrosion wouldn't be good, but that's an argument for brushed or shot-blasted tanks without paint.

Dunno, though, I've never owned a tank protector...

Beat up looking tanks also make you look like more of a badass tech diver... Pristine beautiful tanks indicate an internet diver... =)

"Lamont, work with me on this, why do you think we use the socratic method?"

lol, sorry, but i couldn't resist.........:)

Quick Disclaimer: I am not a DIR diver, however I do subscribe to most of their practices. I dive sidemount, which isn't allowed, and also do photography, which also isn't allowed. I still use the minimalist approach for most applications and all that other stuff. It just makes sense...

Other problems with the sleeves is if you aren't careful and don't get the rinsed properly after ocean dives they can actually cause more VIP problems than not, causing surface rust and pitting.
I have 4 PST bottles that are over 20 yrs old, they still look fine. Some chips on the galvanizing, but that's it. No crazy stickers, just VIP and Nitrox, and that's it.

The can lights aren't required. The pistol grip lights are not allowed. They restrict use of that hand. Big Big problem when running lines especially. The Goodman handle allows for full use of that hand while still having use of the light. The pistols are also really spread, which is great for reef diving *doesn't scare away any fish*, but really bad for caves *can't signal with them*

Sorry just had to add,
so where do you think all the pics of DIR divers come from, probably hire non DIR divers to take them. :wink:
Diving is after all about fun, i think sometimes we forget that, and part of the fun is sharing the experience

One thing about the cinch that I do like is that no matter if the plastic breaks or the side things come off from the plate (if it becomes unbolted)...nothing happens. Everything stays in place or at worst moves an inch or two.

The same can't be said with other methods created thus far. Whats number one here is that the harness is still one piece (strong) and simple. You won't be missing out on a dive because a plastic buckle breaks.

I never said that doing photos or video is unsafe. It can be done quite safe, and with proper training on non video dives, it's just like adding a scooter or something. When the DIR stuff was explained to me, we were told that when you are video taping or photographing something or someone you can't be considered part of that buddy team since your attention is diverted from them to what you're doing. It's different than just zipping around a cave or wreck where you're looking at your surroundings etc. You're focused intently on whatever you're looking at. We were just told that you couldn't really be an affective buddy for anyone if you've got a big camera in your hand. Could you still do OOA situations and what not, sure, but like what was said earlier, 3 man teams is the safest with a buddy team essentially babysitting the cameraman.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom