2 quick questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A used 10W HID light which is a great starter and actually pretty good for caves in FL and MX can be had for $250 although you might need to replace the battery if its used & abused. 4.5Ah NiMH batteries are about $75 with shipping.
I would say $350 is more accurate unless you want to lurk 24/7 for weeks.

I never said that doing photos or video is unsafe. It can be done quite safe, and with proper training on non video dives, it's just like adding a scooter or something. When the DIR stuff was explained to me, we were told that when you are video taping or photographing something or someone you can't be considered part of that buddy team since your attention is diverted from them to what you're doing. It's different than just zipping around a cave or wreck where you're looking at your surroundings etc. You're focused intently on whatever you're looking at. We were just told that you couldn't really be an affective buddy for anyone if you've got a big camera in your hand. Could you still do OOA situations and what not, sure, but like what was said earlier, 3 man teams is the safest with a buddy team essentially babysitting the cameraman.

That's the Cole's Notes version of how I understood JJ when he discussed this a few years ago.

Explain how this is wrong.

"Focused intently" may or may not be true. If someone doesn't have enough bandwidth to keep track of all the other elements of the dive (like cave navigation, depth, time gas, etc etc) as well as buddies they should leave the video at home. If someone truly needs babysitting, regardless of whether they have a camera in hand or fancy themselves "DIR", they are in over their heads on the dive.

"Focused intently" may or may not be true. If someone doesn't have enough bandwidth to keep track of all the other elements of the dive (like cave navigation, depth, time gas, etc etc) as well as buddies they should leave the video at home. If someone truly needs babysitting, regardless of whether they have a camera in hand or fancy themselves "DIR", they are in over their heads on the dive.
The DIR answer here is to put 2 SPG's on the diver, route one behind their valves so others can see it.

Seriously.

The DIR answer here is to put 2 SPG's on the diver, route one behind their valves so others can see it.

Seriously.

No need, they make air integrated computers which can track multiple cylinders nowadays.

Seriously.

No need, they make air integrated computers which can track multiple cylinders nowadays.

Seriously.

Can you label them so you know who you're looking at like this?
  • Stroke A
  • Stroke B
  • Stroke C

I'll see if I can find JJ's post on video/photo dives. It might be on Quest. He described them as the most dangerous type to do as the guy with the camera is not and can not be as aware as the other members of the team when looking through the viewfinder.

I'll see if I can find JJ's post on video/photo dives. It might be on Quest. He described them as the most dangerous type to do as the guy with the camera is not and can not be as aware as the other members of the team when looking through the viewfinder.

Totally agree, obviously some bandwidth has to go to the camera. Whether "any" or "enough" remains for everything else is a different issue. And whether they are "DIR" or not is a red herring.

Totally agree, obviously some bandwidth has to go to the camera. Whether "any" or "enough" remains for everything else is a different issue. And whether they are "DIR" or not is a red herring.

I can't find the Quest mail list archives to look for the post. It may be gone or maybe my membership has finally expired and I can't get in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom