2 quick questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said, a typical misunderstanding of the system. You've had a bunch of people with DIR training trying to explain that the non-DIR person who told you this was wrong.

I wish I had an index to old threads to see whether or not the system of weaving a buckle into the continuous webbing of the left shoulder harness also recieved the same warm welcome. Something tells me maybe not so much...

Well, whoever explained "DIR" to you it just wrong about that. Sry :(

That's the Cole's Notes version of how I understood JJ when he discussed this a few years ago.

Explain how this is wrong.

I wish I had an index to old threads to see whether or not the system of weaving a buckle into the continuous webbing of the left shoulder harness also recieved the same warm welcome. Something tells me maybe not so much...

A plastic fastex buckle I presume? I don't really care honestly. I don't need to H "cinch" nor do I need a buckle.

gsk3:
Certainly true, because the tech pass is designed to allow you to move on to training where the environment all but dictates a can light. No one would suggest that someone who passed Fundies in a single tank or without a can light (e.g. a rec pass) wasn't GUE-compliant during those dives, however.

That wasn't the question though, as I understood it. The OP seemed to be asking, "Can I dive without a can light and still be DIR?" or similarly, "Do I have to dive a can light to dive with my newly DIR-enthusiastic son?" The answer in both cases is that a can light is not necessary, although two good backup-style lights would not be a bad idea, and once he sees the benefits of a can light he may want one as well.

Yes, but that may be why the op's son thinks it is required. And actually the op didn't mention if he's son was aiming for technical diving - when I did my fundies, I was aiming for a tech pass right away.

And besides, can lights aren't that expensive, there are great second hand lights around for less than 500$.

A plastic fastex buckle I presume? I don't really care honestly. I don't need to H "cinch" nor do I need a buckle.

This idea (one can also do it with a SS weightbelt buckle). A guy from the RCMP dive team showed it to me once and I've heard it referenced on occasion. It's a funny sort of trick but I never saw the need for it either.

buckle.jpg

And besides, can lights aren't that expensive, there are great second hand lights around for less than 500$.

A used 10W HID light which is a great starter and actually pretty good for caves in FL and MX can be had for $250 although you might need to replace the battery if its used & abused. 4.5Ah NiMH batteries are about $75 with shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom