2 weeks in Australia, where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going2aussie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm heading back to Australia. I got certified a few years ago on a liveaboard in Cairns. It was the shorter Pro Dive one. It was a nice experience, but I'm thinking of better things like the Cod Hole, Whale Sharks or White Sharks. I'm hoping to wrestle one of the latter.

Anyways, I land in Sydney on the 25th in the morning and after spending a good part of the day in the SYD First Class lounge, I can pretty much fly wherever. I do have an uncle I want to spend time with who lives in Canberra. I was thinking of just doing a week liveaboard in Cairns. They start on Monday though, so I'd be splitting up the time I have. I don't think that I have enough time to mix that with the Ningaloo to see whale sharks or heading south to see white sharks.

After spending a lot of time reading and thinking about this, I thought I'd ask for help from other divers.

I've got 30+ dives under my belt with the basic and AOW cert along with a nitrox cert and some other specialty stuff. I'm by no means an advanced diver, but not a beginner either.

Any suggestions?

25th? Of what month exactly? June?

Ningaloo should be pretty straight forward if you just show up, but I expect you'll be running into availability issues on the 7 night Cairns liveaboards or in SA with the white shark liveaboard. Those trips sell out well in advance.

In that case, it's too late in the year for whale sharks at Ningaloo - they'll be gone by August.

While November is technically cyclone season in north Queensland, it's very early in the season, and very unlikely to affect diving. It's a nice time of year as well in Cairns, not too hot yet.

The white shark diving operates year round, however my experience with it is not to waste your time with the day trips and to go out on the Rodney Fox liveaboard. It's easy to get to Port Lincoln via Adelaide from Sydney, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.

I'd go to Cairns, but that's just me. I've done the white shark diving, and while it's a fun once off experience, I found it to be overly regulated (which I understand to a certain point). The diving off Cairns gives you more freedom to do your own thing.

If you do visit Cairns then I would consider a trip to Townsville and diving the SS Yongala. Its on my bucket list, a few of my buddies have dived it and said its one of the best dives Australia has to offer.

If it's sharks you want then NSW has a great spot in South West Rocks which is a cave dive and shark dive all rolled into one. I have done this site on a few occasions and it's a 5 star rating. Only issue its about 5 hours drive north from Sydney.

Last option I will offer is in Sydney itself, you can dive a site called Magic Point where your pretty much guaranteed to see multiple Grey Nurse Sharks... ok not white sharks but its better than any dives Canberra will have to offer :).

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to set a goal of Guadalupe in Mexico for white sharks. Thanks for the input. I'll stay with a 7 day in cod hole/coral sea or maybe mix it with that SS site.

Id opt for Cairns as a base too if you planned on doing a short LOB - and recommend diving the Yongala

That was 20+ years ago. Was in Australia on the great barrier reef: one liveboard cairns to Heron Island, one liveboard ( short ) yongala and a short week Heron Island. One does not top the otherone in terms of quality. All excellent choices.

If Ningaloo was mentioned as an option, Exmouth Navy Pier is an exhilarating dive. Also the reefs around Exmouth or along the coast down south are no way inferior of Great BR but much closer to the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom