2009 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well Kiffen said the other day something like "he can't wait to sing Rocky Top all night long after they beat Florida". :popcorn:
A true Vision of Granduer! :shakehead:
Big mistake to run the pie hole this early in his career in the SEC.

well Alabama beat North Texas so bad that it got boring to watch.....

The Florida/Tennessee game was pretty good. Florida won (as expected), but Tennessee still put forth a decent effort. Tenn could have won if a few more cards fell in place (but it was still a longshot.) either way, Kiffin won't be singing Rocky Top all weekend long.... :whistling:

I though TN might play them tough - they lost to UCLA, but they hung in, especially on defence.

Gators played it very conservatively though. I was wondering if Tebow was ever going to throw it...

well, the Auburn vs. West Virginia game was the better game of the day to watch....

Although I thought Auburn was going to loose it based on missed tackles. But West Virginia killed themselves in turnovers/interceptions. (I think 5 total, which resulted in 24 points against them)

...The Florida/Tennessee game was pretty good. Florida won (as expected), but Tennessee still put forth a decent effort. Tenn could have won if a few more cards fell in place (but it was still a longshot.) either way, Kiffin won't be singing Rocky Top all weekend long.... :whistling:

The VOLS did make a game of it. I was pleased they were at least competitive.
Got to hand it to Kiffin. During the interview on the field after the game, the Tn. Band is playing Rocky Top and the reporter asked a question and he says, "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. They're playing Rocky Top!" He might as well have :mooner:.
:rofl3:

well at least Chizick realizes that AU missed a bunch of tackles and needed worked on

9/21/09
MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK
Chizik wants better execution, defense from his players

AUBURN — A day after his team survived an offensive shootout, Auburn coach Gene Chizik said he likes his team’s effort.

It’s the execution that has him worried.

resiliency in his team during the past two weeks.

“They just keep playing,” Chizik said. “They just don’t let circumstances dictate how they play. They just keep coming when things aren’t good.”

On the top of Chizik’s to-do list is finding a way to shore up a defense that allowed 509 yards of total offense to West Virginia during Auburn’s 41-30 Saturday night win.

The defense certainly found its share of difficulties, but the Tigers forced six turnovers, including four in the decisive fourth quarter.

Those turnovers helped Auburn’s defense erase what was otherwise a forgettable night.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do on defense,” Chizik said. “A lot of the yardage last night was just simply missed tackles. We’d come off the edge and take poor angles. Just tackling issues were a little bit of a problem. We’re still having a bit of a problem right now of getting off the field on third down.”

Chizik added: “We’ve got to revisit a lot of that and go back and look at some of that.”

Chizik said he was proud of his defense for hanging in and helping the 3-0 Tigers by coming up with game-changing takeaways.

Offensively, Auburn’s vaunted run game slowed to a crawl for the majority of the game.

Chizik said West Virginia brought an eighth man into the box, forcing the Tigers to throw the ball.

That left offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn to call upon quarterback Chris Todd. He threw four touchdowns — three to Darvin Adams — in helping the Tigers erase a deficit that reached 14 points at one point.

Chizik said the ability to win a game by passing the ball meant a lot.

“Every week we’re not going to be able to run the ball,” Chizik said. “Offensively, we’re going to do what the defense allows us to do. One week you might run for 300, the next week you may throw for 300 and it’s all based on what they’re going to allow you do to.”

This week shouldn’t have many of the same challenges, with Auburn hosting an 0-3 Ball State team.

So far, the Cardinals have lost home games to North Texas and FCS team New Hampshire as well as a road game to Army.

Just because BSU hasn’t gotten off to a rousing start doesn’t mean Auburn plans to alter its usual preparations.

“We’re going to do what we always do,” Chizik said. “You hope that maybe you have enough older guys, you hope that you have a focused enough team where a football game is a football game and you only have 12 of the so you play them all the same. We’ve got to do a good job as coaches of demanding that part of it but they’ll come in here and be fired up and ready to play in this type of venue. We’ve just got to do what we do.”

Auburn is now off to a 3-0 start, but Chizik said he isn’t pleased with the way the Tigers are playing.

While the defense might have been the guiltiest party on Saturday, the head coach wants to see improvement across the board against Ball State.

“Right now, we’ve won three games but I can’t say there is any phase of our team that any coach including me is happy about,” Chizik said. “I’m happy that they’ve played hard and I’m happy that they’ve won and I’m happy that they’ve overcome a lot of adversity and all those things.

“But we haven’t put a full game together yet in my opinion.
”

AP Top 25 (for Sept 21)

RK TEAM
1 Florida (no change from last week)
2 Texas
3 Alabama up from #4 last week
4 Mississippi up from #5 last week
5 Penn State
6 California
7 LSU Up from #9 last week
8 Boise State
9 Miami (FL)
10 Oklahoma
11 Virginia Tech
12 USC
13 Ohio State
14 Cincinnati
15 TCU
16 Oklahoma State
17 Houston
18 Florida State
19 Brigham Young
20 Kansas
21 Georgia up from #23 last week
22 North Carolina
23 Michigan
24 Washington
25 Nebraska

So far the season has progressed:

Gator 2009 Football Schedule

When | The Victim | Where | Current Rank | Outcome
Sat Sep 5|Charleston Southern|The Swamp!|NR (Big South)| WIN! 62-3
Sat Sep 12|Troy|The Swamp!|NR (Sunbelt)| WIN! 56-6
Sat Sep 19|Tennessee| The Swamp!|NR (SEC)| WIN! 23-10
Sat Sep 26|at Kentucky|Lexington, KY|NR (SEC)|
Sat Oct 10|at LSU|Baton Rouge, LA|11 (SEC)|
Sat Oct 17|Arkansas (HC)|The Swamp! |NR (SEC)|
Sat Oct 24|at Mississippi State|Starkville, MS|9 (SEC)|
Sat Oct 31|vs Georgia|Jacksonville, FL |13 (SEC)|
Sat Nov 7| Vanderbilt|The Swamp!|NR (SEC)|
Sat Nov 14|at South Carolina|Columbia, SC|NR (SEC)|
Sat Nov 21|Florida International|The Swamp!|NR (SunBelt)|
Sat Nov 28|Florida State|The Swamp!|18 (Atlantic Coast)|

AP Top 25 Poll

RK| TEAM |RECORD| PTS
1 |Florida (55)| 3-0| 1488
2| Texas (2)| 3-0| 1428
3| Alabama (3)| 3-0| 1390
4| Mississippi| 2-0| 1213
5| Penn State| 3-0| 1212
6| California| 3-0| 1169
7| LSU| 3-0| 1120
8| Boise State| 3-0| 1038
9| Miami (FL)| 2-0| 920
10| Oklahoma| 2-1| 862
11| Virginia Tech| 2-1| 852
12| USC| 2-1| 825
13| Ohio State| 2-1| 810
14| Cincinnati| 3-0| 739
15| TCU| 2-0| 674
16| Oklahoma State| 2-1| 478
17| Houston| 2-0| 455
18| Florida State| 2-1| 363
19| Brigham Young| 2-1| 349
20| Kansas| 3-0| 347
21| Georgia| 2-1| 318
22| North Carolina| 3-0| 271
23| Michigan| 3-0| 247
24| Washington| 2-1| 194
25| Nebraska| 2-1| 132

USA Today Poll

RK| TEAM |RECORD| PTS
1| Florida (59)| 3-0| 1475
2| Texas| 3-0| 1412
3| Alabama| 3-0| 1355
4| Penn State| 3-0| 1274
5| Mississippi| 2-0| 1182
6| California| 3-0| 1149
7| LSU| 3-0| 1122
8| Boise State| 3-0| 976
9| Oklahoma| 2-1| 917
10| USC| 2-1| 905
11| Ohio State| 2-1| 900
12| Virginia Tech| 2-1| 853
13| Miami (FL)| 2-0| 724
14| TCU| 2-0| 701
15| Cincinnati| 3-0| 580
16| Oklahoma State| 2-1| 576
17| Georgia| 2-1| 457
18| North Carolina| 3-0| 445
19| Kansas| 3-0| 381
20| Brigham Young| 2-1| 279
21| Missouri| 3-0| 214
22| Michigan| 3-0| 205
23| Houston| 2-0| 160
24| Nebraska| 2-1| 158
25| Florida State| 2-1| 154

You all know the standing are going to be rocked in about 2 weeks when Alabama has to play Ole Miss. I think the SEC Championship game is going to be pretty much the national championship like it was last year.

You all know the standing are going to be rocked in about 2 weeks when Alabama has to play Ole Miss. I think the SEC Championship game is going to be pretty much the national championship like it was last year.

I expect the SEC Championship game in Atlanta will be Bama vs Gators again.

Ole Miss could throw a wrench in that as you are pointing out above.

Of course Auburn change all that if they beat Bama, Ole Miss and LSU, but I'm not putting any money on that as it's a long shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom