2011 UW Scooter racing - DPV owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa Mongy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm just waiting to see the schedule get posted so we can plan to attend as many events as possible!

I don't really see the point of this. Tahoe Benchmark shows us what speeds scooters are capable of. It's very easy to select the fastest scooter and easily beat everyone, given similar drag rates. If it really gets competitive, then match the fastest scooter with the smallest person, with the smallest tanks, in a speedo suit.

What's the youngest age for scuba diving? Find someone with a kid that age, throw them in the water with a Dive Xtras Cuda Fury or Silent Submersion Magnus, and you are virtually guaranteed to win, no?

To have competitive racing similar to events like Nascar, you'd need to separate people out into classes based on similar motor windings, ie, similar speeds, and have them do a longer circuit that allowed for some strategy and wasn't merely a "pedal to the metal" event, where whomever has the Cuda Fury/Magnus and the lowest drag will win. Or am I misunderstanding this?

When I try to research how the event is run, I get a lot of fluff. Only a few of the competitors list what DPV they are diving with. I can't find a description of how the course is set up, and how divers are forced to stay within boundaries to ensure a fair race. There is very little information about any of those specifics, and a whole lot of stuff about how exciting it is, and how people are setting records, and how they are going to Italy, and things like that. I would really like to see a standardized format for competitor pages so we can see what exact configuration they are competing in, and how race courses are laid out, what rules are in place and how they are enforced.

Lisa, what DPV do you use?

Last edited:
I don't really see the point of this. (because it's fun :)

Tahoe Benchmark shows us what speeds scooters are capable of. It's very easy to select the fastest scooter and easily beat everyone, given similar drag rates. If it really gets competitive, then match the fastest scooter with the smallest person, with the smallest tanks, in a speedo suit. (LOL, well I'm all for the speedo if the person is in shape however . . . if you already own a dpv and you're not the smallest then you have to be clever and resort to other advantages)

What's the youngest age for scuba diving? (have to check the rules on the age limit) Find someone with a kid that age, throw them in the water with a Dive Xtras Cuda Fury or Silent Submersion Magnus, and you are virtually guaranteed to win, no?

To have competitive racing similar to events like Nascar, you'd need to separate people out into classes based on similar motor windings, ie, similar speeds, and have them do a longer circuit that allowed for some strategy and wasn't merely a "pedal to the metal" event, where whomever has the Cuda Fury/Magnus and the lowest drag will win. Or am I misunderstanding this? (we have 4 classes and different lap counts depending on the class also, the biggest don't always win. Like NASCAR if the leaders have issues, go off course, get disqualified or get distracted, then those behind can zoom by sometimes without notice as they can be either above or below the racer!)

When I try to research how the event is run, I get a lot of fluff. Only a few of the competitors list what DPV they are diving with. I can't find a description of how the course is set up, and how divers are forced to stay within boundaries to ensure a fair race. There is very little information about any of those specifics, and a whole lot of stuff about how exciting it is, and how people are setting records, and how they are going to Italy, and things like that. I would really like to see a standardized format for competitor pages so we can see what exact configuration they are competing in, and how race courses are laid out, what rules are in place and how they are enforced.

(I don't have anything to do with the website but you offer some good suggestions. As far as the course, try to youtube some of the video's - Wreck Racking League or Formual H20 - you'll notice we have buoys we have to pass, spotters to make sure racer's stay on course and a camera at the start/finish line. Also, courses differ depending on the wreck and uw conditions the day of the race.)

Lisa, what DPV do you use? (I used a Seadoo on the first race and Pegasus Thrusters on the last two)

Hope that helps . . .

Great info there LJ! Each event last year was a tremendous amount of fun for everyone! Looking forward to more this season, including Rome!

That's a good question. Will see what I can find out . . .

Do any Magnus or Cuda Fury owners compete? Do they ever lose?
Hi J. Yes, there is at least one racer that uses a Cuda, and I race with a Magnus. They are exceptional DPV's, each with their own qualities. Because the races are divided up into clases, and the race has many other factors than just speed, it is possible for the Magnus or Cuda racers to enter and not win.

D

You can count my wife and myself in, this season, I followed the posts and video's at the tail end of last season and we are planning on it. We may also drag some friends out.

As for the seriousness of this race and it just being a contestt to see who can own the best machine, I think of this as more on the lines of a bathrub race for fun, than NASCAR.

If they really want to even out the odds, they could set up handicapps like in golf or ther things, where the more you win, the more you have to improve to overcome your handicap.

Anyway, plan on having fun with you guys.

Our team races with Hollis Expedition Scooters and we have been known to couple them together for a two-fisted fun ride!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom