2023 Light Travel Regulator Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually VAT is 22%.
You get it off if purchasing from another EU country and providing a valid VAT number.
I do not know how VAT exemption works when purchasing from outside of EU...
It's around 20% in all EU countries, I think. You can tell the vendor it's for export and they'll take it off. Some online stores have the option in the country setting. So when you click on US it will show you the price without VAT automatically.

what are the key considerations then
Title of the tread is travel light weight reg. I think I have shown going from "normal" brass set to full Titanium set, you save 1/2lb. Cost for that is additional $1500+.

I would say don't choose the extreme heavy stiff like those Tungsten model, just go with normal brass one, you get best return for your money. Brass reg exist for the past 100+ years?? (just my guess), many here are using brass reg 20+ years old, it is not like they are falling apart from corrosion. They are just fine. Now of course, if money doesn't matter, you need to the lightest, get that Tx3 or TFX.

As to which model, I do think you have seen enough name mentioned, there are good quality and reliable. More important is maintenance. If you haven't been using the set for a few year, and going to a long live aboard, I would say check all components. I would even replace questionable hoses even if they appears to be still good. Bring along a spare 2nd stage?

1) I think most of us that travel with our gear don't worry about weight.
2) I actually think that most of us don't try to service on the road. Instead, we bring one extra 1st, one extra 2nd, and a couple of hoses. We already have a backup computer.
3) If you're going to be gone long enough or on a rough enough trip that you almost expect a failure (crew mishandling? Who knows?), then the original considerations in your OP apply:
a) reliable
b) familiar designs (bring a service kit +/- spare parts for a technician)
c) easily serviced without lots of specialty tools

"Longer service interval" regs don't help. If they're getting heavily used, general quality is maybe the bigger factor.

Some might argue that a sealed first stage design might help you here.

Finally, learn how to open and clean out your second stage, and replace the diaphragm and cover without a leak. A heavily used reg will accumulate sand and the occasional piece of junk that suddenly makes it breathe wet. You don't want that easily fixable problem to be a deal breaker for a trip. You don't want someone else doing that simple fix on your reg.

And apologies to @BoltSnap , if you're really in the middle of nowhere and don't do DIY service, I might be less inclined to bring my more complex Atomic second stages, because there are a couple of critical tiny parts. I might choose a more standard design second stage, but of similarly high quality.
This is an extremely good point. I have had my atomic adjusted too hot. It appears to be OK on the first couple of dive, then start to free flow on any disturbance. I was hesitate to mess with it on a boat. Quite a few very tiny parts inside, I once try diagnose one in a trip and lost the wave washer. :(

For this reason, I like HOG 2nd stage, extremely simple. I always bring one as spare.

This is an extremely good point. I have had my atomic adjusted too hot. It appears to be OK on the first couple of dive, then start to free flow on any disturbance. I was hesitate to mess with it on a boat. Quite a few very tiny parts inside, I once try diagnose one in a trip and lost the wave washer. :(

For this reason, I like HOG 2nd stage, extremely simple. I always bring one as spare.

(another tangent) You had an Atomic that was so hot you couldn't stop it from freeflowing by simply turning in the WOB adjustment knob?

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
(another tangent) You had an Atomic that was so hot you couldn't stop it from freeflowing by simply turning in the WOB adjustment knob?
Not in that incident. I found the AA adjustment knob does very little actual adjustment. It was definitely my fault to begin with, inexperience of tuning 2nd stage

Not in that incident. I found the AA adjustment knob does very little actual adjustment. It was definitely my fault to begin with, inexperience of tuning 2nd stage

Interesting. I use my adjustment knob frequently, because it totally makes a difference to whether (or how easily) my 2nd stage on the bungee necklace under my chin free flows when I splash with the other 2nd stage in my mouth. I leave it turned 1 - 2 turns back. If I switch to that reg for any amount of time, I open the knob all the way and it breathes fine (i.e. no freeflow in normal use).

Interesting. I use my adjustment knob frequently, because it totally makes a difference to whether (or how easily) my 2nd stage on the bungee necklace under my chin free flows when I splash with the other 2nd stage in my mouth. I leave it turned 1 - 2 turns back. If I switch to that reg for any amount of time, I open the knob all the way and it breathes fine (i.e. no freeflow in normal use).
Once I learned how to adjust AA properly, I can strike a reasonable balance between breathing effort and free flow now. I typically leave the know all the way out all the time tho. I have M1 Tees on all AA 2nd stage now. Mon M1 knob is a bit too short, with the M1 Tee, it becomes harder to get to especially with gloves.

It's around 20% in all EU countries, I think. You can tell the vendor it's for export and they'll take it off. Some online stores have the option in the country setting. So when you click on US it will show you the price without VAT automatically.
The seller I linked is in Italy, so VAT is 22%....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom