2023 Light Travel Regulator Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

performance under the most difficult conditions is legend and with a pedigree exceeded by none, then the SP Mk25 Evo with G260 second stages. Not light, but not especially heavy, reliable, not cheap and not exceeded in any meanigful in performance by anything other.
no need to blow the budget. $650 (incl shipping) if ordered from Europe. Personally I’d recommend the Mk19 but piston vs diaphragm is maybe a personal choice.

no need to blow the budget. $650 (incl shipping) if ordered from Europe. Personally I’d recommend the Mk19 but piston vs diaphragm is maybe a personal choice.
The Mark 19E is a great reg but it is anything but light or compact and it does not have the track record of the Mark 2 for reliability over the long haul under abusive conditions and it has a higher parts count. But, yes, all of the mentioned regs are great choices, just pick the priorities. Does a travel diver really need the mass and massive performance of a Mark 19E at recreational depths? And since Scubapro only offers it with the higher end seconds, just get the G260 with Mark 19E. Too bad the Mark 17E is gone as it is not quite as massive being minus the turret as the Mark 19E.

This is hard to beat, you are right @stuartv, I admit defeat :):

And then get the DIN conversion kit.

I don't see anything WRONG with that combo. It is good quality and reliable.

But, it is $539.
MK11 + S270 is just 289 Eur here:
With 90 eur more you also get an R095 octo.

My set (with G250s) was $199. I got my Mark 2 Evo in Bonaire NIB! I realize most divers do not shop for regulators in garbage cans and dumpsters behind dive stores, but I have gotten some great deals that way :yeahbaby:. Like, do you mind if I rummage through your trash! Can you believe these two G250s were in the trash when my eys first beheld them? Two precious rebuild kits and some hydro dipping film and a bottle of 2K clear and voila. About 50 dives give or take in the Red Sea including brutal rides in the beds of PU trucks not to mention the horrid abuse in the RIBs and not a scratch to be found:

Forgive me, but everybody cannot be beautiful (the regs that is) :rofl3:.

It's ever cheaper when you buy from outside the EU as this price already includes 20% VAT that get's taken off.

I would agree except that Scubapro is more widely supported (at least that is my perception and observation) and the OP did want a travel set which means it might need service in some far away place and I do think the Mark 2 Evo and S270 are more reliable and perhaps more rugged. I think the Mark 2 record through the years for being exceedingly reliable with little maintenance is not an exaggeration. And this is why I chose it for this purpose. Plus it is lightweight and compact without the additional expense of wonderful titanium :). Oh, and does not have a full diameter soft purge cover, which I hate though I realize I may be singular in that hate.

I would not begin to dispute the reliability of a Mk 2. :)

But, my personal approach to mitigating the risk of needing service on a reg while traveling and not being able to get it is, I take an extra 1st and 2nd stage.

Heck, I am skeptical that there is a shop anywhere here in the Columbia, South Carolina, area where I could go and they would have a Mk 2 service kit in stock. I definitely would not want to stake my vacation diving on the hope that what I bought/brought is so common that I will be able to get parts for it anywhere I go on vacation.

In other words, "might need service while traveling, and XYZ is more likely to have parts available where I'm going" is not a criteria for me when I'm buying a reg. I think it would be a stroke of luck for that seed of a thought to ever bear fruit. I think that criteria is a red herring.

Not to mention, just taking a spare 1st and 2nd means I can even "fix" a problem when I'm out on a boat. Counting on finding service and a service kit implicitly means losing possibly a whole day of diving while I'm off somewhere at a shop and waiting on them to fix my reg.

And for a MAJOR trip, I might also simply get a service kit or two for the regs I'm taking, so I HAVE the parts with me and the worst case is needing to find someone with tools and know-how.

I know people talk about end-users in the States not being able to buy service kits for regs, but, well, I've also seen plenty of posts about ordering such things from Europe. And I've also never had too much trouble getting them when I needed them, even when I was not affiliated with any shop. If one of my customers came into my shop and said "hey, I'm going to Fiji next month. Can you get me service kits for my regs, to take with me, for just in case?" I would have no problem hooking them up to ensure they are as well taken care of as I can do.

It's ever cheaper when you buy from outside the EU as this price already includes 20% VAT that get's taken off.
Actually VAT is 22%.
You get it off if purchasing from another EU country and providing a valid VAT number.
I do not know how VAT exemption works when purchasing from outside of EU...

Back
Top Bottom