2023 Light Travel Regulator Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) I think most of us that travel with our gear don't worry about weight.
2) I actually think that most of us don't try to service on the road. Instead, we bring one extra 1st, one extra 2nd, and a couple of hoses. We already have a backup computer.
3) If you're going to be gone long enough or on a rough enough trip that you almost expect a failure (crew mishandling? Who knows?), then the original considerations in your OP apply:
a) reliable
b) familiar designs (bring a service kit +/- spare parts for a technician)
c) easily serviced without lots of specialty tools

"Longer service interval" regs don't help. If they're getting heavily used, general quality is maybe the bigger factor.

Some might argue that a sealed first stage design might help you here.

Finally, learn how to open and clean out your second stage, and replace the diaphragm and cover without a leak. A heavily used reg will accumulate sand and the occasional piece of junk that suddenly makes it breathe wet. You don't want that easily fixable problem to be a deal breaker for a trip. You don't want someone else doing that simple fix on your reg.

And apologies to @BoltSnap , if you're really in the middle of nowhere and don't do DIY service, I might be less inclined to bring my more complex Atomic second stages, because there are a couple of critical tiny parts. I might choose a more standard design second stage, but of similarly high quality.

what are the key considerations then

I think his real message is, any good reg set will meet your needs. You don't need to buy anything that is specialized just for travel.

The only real caveat I would put on that is that IF it is worth it to you (because only you and your wallet can decide what something is worth to you) to save 1 pound or so, a titanium set, like the Atomic T3 would be an option that I would label as "specialized for travel". An Atomic T3 or TFX with an Atomic Ti2 octo would be (I *think*) about the lightest reg set you can buy. If your budget and desire allows for that, then I would not say you are "doing it wrong" if you went that route. You would be doing it in high style!

For most people, the extra 1# or so that might come from having a normal chrome-over-brass 1st stage and no-titanium 2nd stage is a perfectly fine tradeoff in exchange for saving over $1000.

Side note: You might get your overall travel rig even a smidge lighter by changing your BCD inflator to an Atomic SS1 Ti and eliminating the normal octo. I only mention that to say that I would not do that myself (but it *might* shave a few more grams). If you do that, it means that your inflator hose has to be long enough to use as a reg in your mouth, and the primary 2nd stage has to be on a long enough hose to donate to someone else to breathe off of. The result is that both have really long hoses, which I do not like. I don't want my inflator dangling down. I don't want my primary 2nd stage having a hose that sticks way out to my side.

Reactions: L13
A Scubapro Mark 2 Evo (super simple, super reliable, perhaps the most reliable) with the S270 (glass fiber reinforced super tough casing) second stage?

A DGX BCI for back up (for you) and the primary (S270) on a 36/40 inches braided hose routed under the shoulder for donation.

I am going to recant my recommendation of an AL Core Supreme/Helix as AL is becoming a PITA to deal with or get parts. Otherwise they are still good choices.

On my recent trip to the Red Sea getting picked up often by a RIB all of the long hose and necklaced BS (read that as bull dung) was a PITA getting out of my gear in a rush in the water. Camera in hand, 6 feet high waves breaking (yeah!) and drifting towards even (much) bigger ones quickly, I am having a rethink on simplification. And it would save weight.

My Mark 2 Evo and G250 combo performed effortlessly at depths up to 120 feet during the trip, the S270 is a balanced second stage and should perform similarly in combo with the Mark 2 Evo.

2) I actually think that most of us don't try to service on the road. Instead, we bring one extra 1st, one extra 2nd, and a couple of hoses. We already have a backup computer.
Yes, but only one extra LP hose in my kit , got me thinking, a spare HP hose as I still use a SPG [as I carry a spare one of those as well], :daydream: my spare 1st is a Scubapro Mk2 EVO, 2nd G250 and Shearwater Peregrine as a spare computer.
Weight is not an issue, take less cloths, shoes etc.
Still applies, when it comes to cloths, pack what you think you need and remove 2/3 of it, half minimum is a good rule for travel.
I don't skimp on SCUBA.

A Scubapro Mark 2 Evo (super simple, super reliable, perhaps the most reliable) with the S270 (glass fiber reinforced super tough casing) second stage?

I don't see anything WRONG with that combo. It is good quality and reliable.

But, it is $539.

An Atomic Z2 is $569.

I would take the Atomic for $30 more ALL DAY. Better breathing (I think - though you may not be able to tell, especially at normal sport diving depths, when you're just breathing normally and not sharing with a stressed buddy). Better hose routing (to ME - I know you prefer the Mk2 hose routing for single tank). Option to have it environmentally sealed. 2 HP ports in case you really do want to run AI and an SPG (not that I recommend that). The Atomic has the AFC and Seat Saver features on the 2nd stage, which are nice. The Atomic can be upgraded to have a swivel turret, if you ever want that. The Atomic 2nd stage is adjustable - which is nice, when you get it tuned to breathe really well and then eventually it starts to hiss a little and you just turn the Work Of Breathing adjuster knob a little to make it stop. The Atomic offers wider and narrower exhaust tees that you can easily swap, if you want to have bubbles directed more away from in front of your mask, or if you want the 2nd stage to be narrower and less bulky for packing.

I think the Atomic is worth every penny of the extra $30.

On my recent trip to the Red Sea getting picked up often by a RIB all of the long hose and necklaced BS (read that as bull dung) was a PITA getting out of my gear in a rush in the water. Camera in hand, 6 feet high waves breaking (yeah!) and drifting towards even (much) bigger ones quickly, I am having a rethink on simplification. And it would save weight.
For at least my last 3 liveaboards, Revillagigedos and Malpelo X2, I have been diving with my primary on a 40" hose under my right arm and a bungeed 2nd on a necklace. I can relate to @Nemrod comment.

The camera is handed up 1st, followed by the weights, I have integrated weights, some have a belt. Next you take off and hand up your BC and tank. You have to bolt snap your primary to your right chest D-ring and take the 2nd off over your head before getting out of your BC and tank. This sounds pretty easy unless you are in big swells, brisk current, heavy rain, heavy wind, and need to continue to breathe. I have become quite good at this. However, this was easiest in the old days when my primary was on a short hose and my 2nd was an Air 2 :). After you make it this far, you hand up your fins and climb back up into the RIB.

I don't see anything WRONG with that combo. It is good quality and reliable.

But, it is $539.

An Atomic Z2 is $569.

I would take the Atomic for $30 more ALL DAY. Better breathing (I think - though you may not be able to tell, especially at normal sport diving depths, when you're just breathing normally and not sharing with a stressed buddy). Better hose routing (to ME - I know you prefer the Mk2 hose routing for single tank). Option to have it environmentally sealed. 2 HP ports in case you really do want to run AI and an SPG (not that I recommend that). The Atomic has the AFC and Seat Saver features on the 2nd stage, which are nice. The Atomic can be upgraded to have a swivel turret, if you ever want that. The Atomic 2nd stage is adjustable - which is nice, when you get it tuned to breathe really well and then eventually it starts to hiss a little and you just turn the Work Of Breathing adjuster knob a little to make it stop. The Atomic offers wider and narrower exhaust tees that you can easily swap, if you want to have bubbles directed more away from in front of your mask, or if you want the 2nd stage to be narrower and less bulky for packing.

I think the Atomic is worth every penny of the extra $30.

I would agree except that Scubapro is more widely supported (at least that is my perception and observation) and the OP did want a travel set which means it might need service in some far away place and I do think the Mark 2 Evo and S270 are more reliable and perhaps more rugged. I think the Mark 2 record through the years for being exceedingly reliable with little maintenance is not an exaggeration. And this is why I chose it for this purpose. Plus it is lightweight and compact without the additional expense of wonderful titanium :). Oh, and does not have a full diameter soft purge cover, which I hate though I realize I may be singular in that hate.

The camera is handed up 1st, followed by the weights, I have integrated weights, some have a belt. Next you take off and hand up your BC and tank. You have to bolt snap your primary to your right chest D-ring and take the 2nd off over your head before getting out of your BC and tank. This sounds pretty easy unless you are in big swells, brisk current, heavy rain, heavy wind, and need to continue to breathe. I have become quite good at this. However, this was easiest
Basically yes, I have a wing and plate and my weights are integrated but no removable pockets to drop into the depths, just QR pouches. My secondary is necklaced with a fisherman knot so I was able to yank it off leaving the necklace around my neck. The long hose knocked my ($prescription$) mask off which I was able to grab thankfully. Yes, I can doff and don my gear and did but a rig especially set up for this sort of diving might be more funner :wink:. And lighter and more simple which are my emerging priorities, those and reliability at even the expense of top performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom