23 lb Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we can't take big lobsters why should they be able to ... They should have just left it where they found it. It is obvious that a lobster that large is going to need special conditions in which to survive. That is why it made it that long! They are at fault for it's death and it is a shame that the ocean has lost something as great as that. Put it in a fish tank at Ripley's thats bullsh*****t!!! :argue:

Danny D:
If we can't take big lobsters why should they be able to ... They should have just left it where they found it. It is obvious that a lobster that large is going to need special conditions in which to survive. That is why it made it that long! They are at fault for it's and it is a shame that the ocean has lost something as great as that. Put it in a fish tank at Ripley's thats bullsh*****t!!! :argue:

Danny,

That lobster was taken off Nantucket. South of P-town, there's no maximum size limit for non-commercial permit holders. So actually, it could have been taken by a diver. More likely stuck in the intake of a trap as Decapod's picture above shows.

But you're right, it should have been returned to the water.

Yak, I'm confused. I could have sworn that there's a Max caripace length of 5 inches for non-commercial permits, no??

I work as a volunteer diver at the zoo where the lobster died and I also shop at Wholey's where the lobster was found (they have some great prices on seafood). I am curious to find out what they think happened. Knowning how susceptible ocean dwelling creatures are to being moved around a lot, I'm surprised it lived as long as it did. I also am surprised that they would have sent it to Ripley's believe it or not aquarium instead of sending it to a more reputable aquarium. I am not sure I would have turned it back out in the wild as someone else suggested. There would have been people waiting to get him after they dropped him back in the water. I'm not sure a lobster that old would have been good eatin'.

darylm74:
I am not sure I would have turned it back out in the wild as someone else suggested. There would have been people waiting to get him after they dropped him back in the water.
How do you figure? Do you think that transporting the lobster to a boat and dropping him in 50' of water a couple of miles offshore would draw a crowd? Do you think the lobster would stay put once released? In my experience, he would have taken off backward like a torpedo and not been seen again.

That's a bummer, it shoudl of been left in the Ocean. I've caught a few lobsters near the max 5" carapace size. They are not as tasty as the smaller lobsters. I'd rather leave them, and I'd rather catch (1) min size lobster (preferably bigger) then a max size.

My buddy came across a large one while diving, the claws were HUGE. He signaled me with his flashlight, it was ina crevice & he was trying to get it to come out so we could see it's size. I was behind him & he was very surpised when I yanked him backwards. The lobsters mate was coming in w/claws open from the left - ready to put a hurting on him
2 hands couldn't fit around the lobster. We were very careful to set it back down & Immediately back away.
The max size is a great idea & should be law everywhere.

I don't know about lobster but I've seen it happen with bass. I grew up around a big sporting lake in TN and they would hold 3-4 bass tournaments a year. The were not allowed to keep the fish and the fish would be dumped off at an undisclosed location but the location always leaked out and you'd see the area covered in boats the next day. Some of the the tourney's were requested to tag the fish so scientists could study their movement up the river that fed the lake and it was found that they stayed in the same area for 2-3 days and many of them were caught again because weigh-in stations would report it. I don't think a lobster moves quite as fast as a bass.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom