23 lb Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen quite a few very large permanent residents at Lane's, but happened upon two early this morning that freaked me out. Not sure if it was because of sheer size or because there were two in such close proximity. It was so unusual that I had to surface to shoot a back azimuth so I might be able to find them again.

If you want to check them out, they're at a 338 degree azimuth from where the jetty wall ends (pretty much where you enter the water), about 300m out. The two of them are under a ledge, within 6-10' of each other. You'd pass over the top of the ledge and then would have to basically U-turn vertically to find them. The crusher claw of the larger one was almost the length of my tickle stick.

I'm sure some of you have seen this pair before?

localdivah:
I've seen quite a few very large permanent residents at Lane's, but happened upon two early this morning that freaked me out. Not sure if it was because of sheer size or because there were two in such close proximity. It was so unusual that I had to surface to shoot a back azimuth so I might be able to find them again.

If you want to check them out, they're at a 338 degree azimuth from where the jetty wall ends (pretty much where you enter the water), about 300m out. The two of them are under a ledge, within 6-10' of each other. You'd pass over the top of the ledge and then would have to basically U-turn vertically to find them. The crusher claw of the larger one was almost the length of my tickle stick.

I'm sure some of you have seen this pair before?

There's more than those two at Lane's. On two separate occassions this year, I have seen the two largest bugs I've ever laid eyes on. My buddy and I were actually debating whether or not these monsters are lifer's in their holes. I can't see how they could possibly get out to relocate as the seasons change. Another time we saw what had to be a solid 10 pound egger sitting right out in the open.

There's gotta be something in the water at Lane's. Maybe there's a power plant nearby...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom