23 lb Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74:
I don't think a lobster moves quite as fast as a bass.....

You would be suprised how fast a lobster can move once it's out in the open. Once they tun torpedo like Matt said, they are gone!

I remember reading (maybe on this forum) something about someone catching a tagged lobster that was found less than a day later more than a mile away?

Bubba the Leviathan Lobster Dies at Zoo

31 minutes ago Top Stories - AP

PITTSBURGH - He dodged lobster pots for decades, endured a trip from the coast of Massachusetts to Pittsburgh and survived about a week in a fish market. But a trip to the zoo proved to be too much for a 22-pound lobster named Bubba.

AP Photo

The leviathan of a lobster died Wednesday afternoon at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium about a day after he was moved from Wholey's Market, said zoo spokeswoman Rachel Capp and Bob Wholey, owner of the fish market.

"They're very finicky. It could have been a change in the water. You have no idea," said Wholey.

Bubba died in a quarantine area of the zoo's aquarium, where he was being checked out to see if he was healthy enough to make a trip to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum, Capp said.

Bubba will be examined to try to figure out why he died, although Capp and Wholey guessed it may have been the stress of being moved.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size — about five to seven years to grow to a pound — some estimated Bubba was about 100 years old. But marine biologists said 30 to 50 years was more likely.

Other large lobsters didn't fare well after they were caught, too.

In 1985, a 25-pound lobster that the New England Aquarium planned to give to a Tokyo museum died when the water temperature rose and the salt dropped in its aquarium. In 1990, a 17 1/2-pound lobster named Mimi died just days after being flown to a restaurant in Detroit. Last year, a 14-pound lobster named Hercules that was rescued by a Washington state middle school class died before it could be released off the coast of Maine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance. Copyright © 2005 CIGNA
==============================================================================

darylm74:
I don't know about lobster but I've seen it happen with bass. I grew up around a big sporting lake in TN and they would hold 3-4 bass tournaments a year.
By way of comparison, the North Atlantic is an awfully big sporting lake.
darylm74:
Maybe not that fast, but they are VERY fast when swimming, and most active at night, when a release would be best IMHO.

I wasn't trying to make a comparison between the lake I grew up on and the Atlantic (I do understand spatial differences :p). The bass that I mentioned would stay in a relatively small area like within a thousand feet of where they were released. It was theorized that since they spent a day or two in a small holding tank until the tournament was over, it took them a few days to readjust to their surroundings (i.e. no longer being in a confined holding tank) after they were released. I realize that I was making a generalized comparison. Perhaps lobsters do not have the same adjustment period. Was just a thought.

That poor lobster should of been returned to the ocean where it was from. Why would anyone even consider putting in an aquarium in a small tank. Don't get me wrong and i love lobster w/butter. but one that size should not be taken for anything. like someone mentioned it probably was a good breeder and should of been left alone. Now it's dead.....people just make me so mad. for example look at the one that is at the NEA....it's a big one..and has anyone seen the tank it's in???? a small one that the poor thing can't even hide.

darylm74:
Perhaps lobsters do not have the same adjustment period. Was just a thought.
A good thought, but having spent more than a little time around lobsters (both tanked and wild) I wouldn't think there would be any more than a minute chance of immediate recapture.

http://www.crewdog.net/lobsterpage/lobstrs/lfacts.html

Yak (and all), here's a reference to the tagged lobster traveling some crazy distance in 24 hours. See the very bottom of the site/page. not sure how "truthful" though, but I'm not doubting it either...

"One lobster caught just off shore was released and recaught by the same fisherman 24 hours later - and 3 nautical miles out at sea!"

scubastew:
http://www.crewdog.net/lobsterpage/lobstrs/lfacts.html

Yak (and all), here's a reference to the tagged lobster traveling some crazy distance in 24 hours. See the very bottom of the site/page. not sure how "truthful" though, but I'm not doubting it either...

"One lobster caught just off shore was released and recaught by the same fisherman 24 hours later - and 3 nautical miles out at sea!"

That would be it.

darylm74:

As most of us in NE Area know lobsters race bass quite often. I am happy to report that on many occasions I have seen the lobsters win and live another day. For the non-lobster divers out there you would be suprised how fast a lobster moves in the reverse torpedo position. My sympathy to Bubba's family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom