2nd boltsnap below light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
What part of "the groove is too small to fit 24# cave line" don't you understand? Not all lights are created equal, I guess.
But dude... we have the same light!!!

Why is it dir to have a bolt snap on the handle part of the light head.
I tried this when I first got my light (one at the handle, one on the compression bolt at the rear of the light head) It seams I'd be blinding my buddy if I clipped off with the handle bolt snap?
I reviewed my GUE cd set last night and JJ &GI show only one fastened to the compression fitting.
I removed the one on the handle and now only use the rear snap. This works nice as it illuminates everything under me and does not interfere with my buddy.

I find that when I clip mine off after I am through using it and have turned it off it doesn't bother anyone. And by clipping it off from the handle the cord isn't stressed as I tuck the loop into my waist strap to tidy things up.

If I want to have both hands free of the light but still am using it I can clip it off from the rear and let it shine down or I can clip it off from the handle and let it shine forward.

Works for me. So in what situations are you blinding your buddy. Are you spending time facing each other? During deco? Why is your light on? Are you in a cave and need the light on? Not everyone dives in caves.

Addtional note:
It was only last spring that I learned of the duel clip-off points (from Snowbear when she completed her Tech 1 class.) Up to that point I had always used just the handle clip-off with an attached bolt snap. My 10w HID is still rigged up that way. When I went to a 21w light I rigged it with the duel clip-off points and started using a double ender.

diveh3:
Why is it dir to have a bolt snap on the handle part of the light head.
I tried this when I first got my light (one at the handle, one on the compression bolt at the rear of the light head) It seams I'd be blinding my buddy if I clipped off with the handle bolt snap?
I reviewed my GUE cd set last night and JJ &GI show only one fastened to the compression fitting.
I removed the one on the handle and now only use the rear snap. This works nice as it illuminates everything under me and does not interfere with my buddy.
Sometimes its preferable to have the light head up and out of the way and close to your body, which is why you want the attachment on the handle, rather than dangling down a bit which is what happens with the attachment at the rear of the light head.

Uncle Pug:
And by clipping it off from the handle the cord isn't stressed as I tuck the loop into my waist strap to tidy things up.
Makes sense

Uncle Pug:
So in what situations are you blinding your buddy. Are you spending time facing each other? During deco? Why is your light on? Are you in a cave and need the light on? Not everyone dives in caves.
There could be situations where would be facing my buddy with my light on, night dive communication, deco ascents. I'm not in caves but if I were i'd want my light on.
I like the idea of tidy, and don't like dangling things.
I'll tie the bolt snap back on at the handle and give it another go.

One of the reasons Shane and I started turning off our HID lights once we began deco is that we like to face each other and our lights did shine in each other's face.

Also I've found that a 21w, or even a 10w HID, is too bright for reading my Stinger... so I have a little Q-40 ziptied (what else :D ) to the goodman handle. I use this for looking at critters but it is also useful for reading gauges in low light ascents.

How do you like that new light?

I think I'll give the bungy loops a try. Zip ties fail and I would hate to have my 24W head fall to the ground.

"Bolt-snaps belong where they are needed. And they are needed at the light
all the time and it does not make sense to get the double-ender from the
d-ring, clip it to the lighthead and then the light head to the d-ring. This
may sound acceptable to you if you are diving one scooter and one stage. If
you would use three, four or five scooters and several stages, you would
need to clip off the light head more often during a dive.
With the right bolt-snaps you can even clip off the light with one hand,
that means you do not have to let go the scooter. Using the not appropriate
double-ender is always a two-hand operation."

-Reinhard Buchaly, Quest, Primary Light Attachment, June 19th, 2004​

This was an interesting thread on Quest a while back. I belive that Reinhald makes a pretty strong argument for having bolt snaps, vice loops with a double ender, tied to the Goodman Handle and behind the ballast.

As for mounting the the rear boltsnap I use cave line and tie it on the cord at the base of the ballast with a zip tie around the cord just behind the knot to ensure it won't slip.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom