2nd boltsnap below light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
What part of "the groove is too small to fit 24# cave line" don't you understand? Not all lights are created equal, I guess.
That grove "size" all depends on the tickness of the shrink wrap used to cover the nut gland. Mine goes the same thing soggy. Never thought of taking a zip tie to stop the "travel" of the loop. Thanks Jonathan

Eric

What's the downside to having two boltsnaps attached to the lighthead? Incidentally, in Florida, we're being taught to attach one to the reflector and one to the gland nut with nothing on the goodman handle.

Is it possible that there are different dive conditions in Florida than there are, say in the PNW and that is why there have been some differences in the past on how to set some minor things up?

Uncle Pug:
Is it possible that there are different dive conditions in Florida than there are, say in the PNW and that is why there have been some differences in the past on how to set some minor things up?
I think it's just showing the difference in west coast vs. east coast that we're starting to see in different things.

I personally prefer the two boltsnap method, because it works for me and I see more downsides for the double ender than I do for the double bolt snaps... but if the bungee or ziptie loop method works for ya... then whatever.

Ok. that's not cool! I know it's close to halloween and all, but at least warn me before implanting horrifying thoughts!

Hell, comparing me to him might cause me to come up with a good dive plan to take me out of my misery! [no mount wreck penetrations solo on air at 210 might work].

I ended up tieing the bolt snap as close to the transformer as possible.
Problem solved and it works fine.
Sometimes a simple thing needs to hit me in the head before I can see it :wink:
Andy

AndrewJD:
Ok, let take a look at using a double ender with two loops.

No big issues here when the light is either stowed (light off, light head clipped via handle, cord tucked) or when the light is temproarily clipped off pointed down (light on, light head clipped by loop at cord). The issue is when the light is in use and we want to clip if off. While in use we can do three things with the double ender.

1. Leave the double ender attached to the loop on the goodmand handle.

2. Leave the double ender attached to the loop on the cord.

3. Remove the double ender from the both loops and clip it somewhere else.

Let's look at number 3 first. An argument for this option is that it streamlines the light head and removes the possiblity of the double ender being entangled. But where do we put it? Right chest D-ring? Still an entanglement hazard? Left chest D-Ring? Way to busy already. A pocket? Not very convienent when you want to clip your light off.

Now 1 and 2 would still require two hands to switch the double ender depending upon where it needs to be. In addition, the possibility exists to drop the double ender which would create a problem.

In summary we've increased the complexity of clipping off a light head by trying to solve a problem that doen't exist while introducing additional problems.

Now what's your argument for using the double ender.

Jonathan

I always used the two boltsnap method until I sat a Tech 1 with AndyG and was shown the double ender with loops method, I initially thought this was a great idea but I've been using it for a while now and I have to agree with some of Jonathans comments, I've recently decided that this style, although slick looking is not for me.

I personally find it easier to grab whichever boltsnap I intend to use (light head dangling or parked) and pull the lighthead from my left hand using that particular boltsnap and clip it straight off, dead simple

Using the double ender means a two handed fumbling for me, probably my fault but whatever, I obviously want to use whichever is the quickest and cleanest method for myself.

Regards

Dave.

Why can't we just leave the double-ender clipped on the lighthead when in use? if it's an issue of entanglement wouldnt having 2 boltsnaps permanently on the lighthead also be an issue?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom