2nd Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tom-
As far as O2 content, yes, hypoxia begins to develop at .16 after *sustained* breathing. Around .13 and lower is when it gets a bit more interesting. It should also be remembered, that for this PO2 ballpark, one breath doesn't mean instant blackout/death as everyone might think. However, tempting fate by breathing a hypoxic mix for any duration is not really a prudent exercise. Also, as with O2 toxicity, this varies from person to person and some individuals may be more sensitive than others.

The point I was trying to make is, you are not (or should not) breathing your backgas at the surface, especially not for extended periods of time. If, as is typical in the NE, you must jump in off the stern and work your way to the bow to descend down the anchor line, you can use your deco gas if choppy and/or a current; if not, take your time and fin/pull along the suface on your back, etc. However, many boats use a hang bar under the midships/stern, so you can jump off expecting to hit 10fsw and then pull up on the granny line leading from the hang bar to the anchor line submerged (i.e., at a great ambient pressure than the surface).

If doing a freedrop or using a shotline (as in Florida), a travel gas is entirely pointless. Put it this way, we have done several +/- 300fsw dives and our O2 may be 13% or less, and we do not worry about "travel gas" or other silliness. You have your reg half in your mouth (and breathing regular air or diesel fumes out the side of your mouth) and when it is time to dive, you insert (wait to breath) and drop. In a couple nanoseconds, you are 10-20fsw below the surface (where the PO2 is not a concern anymore) and *rapidly* descending so the gas is plenty safe to breath.

The only time we have *ever* had a premeditated gas switch was for a dive to 420fsw, where we had a third deco gas anyway and the PO2 was pretty darn low.

For the majority of tech/trimix diving, we are probably talking about depths less than 300fsw, with +/- 250fsw perhaps a good median depth. In these depths, any travel gas is really unecessary and adds to task loading, extraneous gear and potential failure points, etc. It is basically pointless and should be dropped from agency teaching, in lieu of efficiency, common sense, and logic.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

Originally posted by aue-mike
Hi Tom-
As far as O2 content, yes, hypoxia begins to develop at .16 after *sustained* breathing
Mike, I don't disagree with your statement, but I always find it amusing to point out that at the altitude I live at (about 8k feet) I'm breathing about .16 ATA O2 :)

I'm sure a number of people in here might take this as an explanation for my behavior sometimes.

Roak

Originally posted by aue-mike
Hi Tom-
As far as O2 content, yes, hypoxia begins to develop at .16 after *sustained* breathing. Around .13 and lower is when it gets a bit more interesting. It should also be remembered, that for this PO2 ballpark, one breath doesn't mean instant blackout/death as everyone might think. However, tempting fate by breathing a hypoxic mix for any duration is not really a prudent exercise. Also, as with O2 toxicity, this varies from person to person and some individuals may be more sensitive than others.

The point I was trying to make is, you are not (or should not) breathing your backgas at the surface, especially not for extended periods of time. If, as is typical in the NE, you must jump in off the stern and work your way to the bow to descend down the anchor line, you can use your deco gas if choppy and/or a current; if not, take your time and fin/pull along the suface on your back, etc. However, many boats use a hang bar under the midships/stern, so you can jump off expecting to hit 10fsw and then pull up on the granny line leading from the hang bar to the anchor line submerged (i.e., at a great ambient pressure than the surface).

If doing a freedrop or using a shotline (as in Florida), a travel gas is entirely pointless. Put it this way, we have done several +/- 300fsw dives and our O2 may be 13% or less, and we do not worry about "travel gas" or other silliness. You have your reg half in your mouth (and breathing regular air or diesel fumes out the side of your mouth) and when it is time to dive, you insert (wait to breath) and drop. In a couple nanoseconds, you are 10-20fsw below the surface (where the PO2 is not a concern anymore) and *rapidly* descending so the gas is plenty safe to breath.

The only time we have *ever* had a premeditated gas switch was for a dive to 420fsw, where we had a third deco gas anyway and the PO2 was pretty darn low.

For the majority of tech/trimix diving, we are probably talking about depths less than 300fsw, with +/- 250fsw perhaps a good median depth. In these depths, any travel gas is really unecessary and adds to task loading, extraneous gear and potential failure points, etc. It is basically pointless and should be dropped from agency teaching, in lieu of efficiency, common sense, and logic.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

I tend to error on the side of caution and don't deny your assessment its quite valid.. You seem to be one of the few people someone can debate with without having a hissy fit...
Have you ever tried a hypoxic excercise(just curious)?? its pretty interesting.. During my CCR class breathing a 14% o2/ helium mix was/is used, You may get some warning signs (I didn't see any).. all I remember was that everything was fine (I was sitting on the floor) then looking up at everyone with a 100% o2 mask on my face.. The excercise is done with a reg(holding ones nose), so if a person passes out a higher % of o2 will be inhaled followed by having the person put on 100% for safety.. its a real eye opener... I definately would not wan't it to happen to me underwater..
I guess Roakey being at a higher altitude would probably cope with a lower o2 level longer than us sea level folk...

Mad Diver,
In a cave I do thing slightly different. I started wreck diving in Alaska (where most of my dives are) in 5 mill gauntlets. In caves (warm water) you don't always have the luxury of being able to see, especially if noone has ever been where you are. If you can't do things by feel, they don't get done. Dropping bottles at the proper depth is the only way to fly. This is an option in a lot of caves.
Bipolar?
Yes, in the modern world we believe that there is a north pole and a south pole. We also believe that the world is more or less round.

My apologies to anyone that I offend by leading in one way. Lighten up, stop being mad, and go blow bubbles (unless you are a CCR guy)!

Warm water caves not being able to see the mod on your tank must be pretty silty stuff....clay base? Where (don't have to give exact location, maybe geographical reference FL, Mexico, Mo, Brasil, Bahamas, etc where there is warm water and the virgin cave passage that has really bad vis). My (limited) experience in both Mexico (where the ceiling rains like hell on you) and Florida where it a) clears through flow or b) even in clay based areas with no detectable flow you can see 'enough to make out mod's'.

I have never experienced a 'total sustained blackout' that I could not either move forward or back to remedy the situation or just wait a little bit. Not saying it isn't there but I just don't understand the operational parameters in a realistic cave setting where you would be forced to look for another method than visually verifying and remaining in touch contact with that verified mix before breathing it.

Would those same clips not also act as serious operational hazzards in the same no vis conditions (your line, buddy, other gear etc)?

I won't stay mad forever, just until my next fix...Friday morning

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Mad Diver,
In a cave I do thing slightly different. In caves (warm water) you don't always have the luxury of being able to see, especially if noone has ever been where you are. If you can't do things by feel, they don't get done. Dropping bottles at the proper depth is the only way to fly. This is an option in a lot of caves.

I dived with the second bottle yesterday. I configured it as most of you suggested. I did notice a few things I hadn't anticipated.

First, adding a second stage bottle makes a lot more difference than I had expected. I expected a PITA (pain in the a$$) factor of 1, basically double the trouble, but found it was actually increased by much more.

First, it was very difficult to get the second bottle clipped on before the dive because the first bottle was in the way. I should have expected this but I didn't.

While doing the dive the second bottle wasn't very noticable but doing the deco it got to be a bit more trouble.

First gas change (to 50%) was easy enough. No trouble checking MOD, deploying reg or turning on gas.

At the second change (to 100%) I found that the two bottle configuration made it extremely difficult to re-stuff the reg on the 50% bottle. (The Halcyon hose retainer contributed to this and I will be replacing it with bungee so I can get ahold of it with gloves on). I ended up just leaving the 50% reg around my neck which wasn't a problem until time to get on the boat. My local GUE guy says "just don't wear gloves, but that's a poor option on wrecks to my mind.

On my next dive with both bottles I will do 2 things. First, replace the flat hose retainer with bungee (leaving a grab tail too). I also think I will try the thing with clipping the front clips to a third clip. A guy on the boat was diving his that way and he said it help a lot. If I don't like it it's simple to undo.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
At the second change (to 100%) I found that the two bottle configuration made it extremely difficult to re-stuff the reg on the 50% bottle. (The Halcyon hose retainer contributed to this and I will be replacing it with bungee so I can get ahold of it with gloves on). I ended up just leaving the 50% reg around my neck which wasn't a problem until time to get on the boat. My local GUE guy says "just don't wear gloves, but that's a poor option on wrecks to my mind.
Hi Tom,
Not wearing gloves doesn't work in the PNW either...
We use flat rubber bands (called crab trap bands in the fishing industry) to secure the deco reg hose. The bands when slipped over the top of the stage strap are actually very easy to get a hold of at the point where they cross over the strap tubing.

Are you putting your *Halcyon hose retainer* over the top of the stage strap???

Hi Tom-
Some things that may help:

Make sure you have a decent "tail" on the bottom of your bottles to make clipping off easier. Once you do it a couple of times, clipping off becomes easier. For practice, you could try moving your hip D-ring up forward a little more, until you get used to the motions and it becomes a snap (bad pun). Then move the d-ring back (progressively if necessary) until it is in the right position; then the bottles will "ride" correctly and be streamlined.

Get the longer stage hose for the regs. This will make sure your jaw, etc. does not get tired and hose routing is not a problem.

I use surgical tubing for a retainer for the reasons you mentioned. I try to configure my gear to make it useable in any condition. I don't get the smallest clips, nor do I get the largest. I don't use inner tube as if I am in cold water I don't have to fight it to stow a reg (I get frustrated easily). The drawback of flat inner tube is it is hard to grab and stow. The drawback of surgical tubing is that it may roll. If you have a good knot you can avoid some of the rolling. Just make sure the tubing is tight enough to secure the reg and it is not flopping in the breeze.

Cheers,
Mike

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Hi Tom,
Not wearing gloves doesn't work in the PNW either...
We use flat rubber bands (called crab trap bands in the fishing industry) to secure the deco reg hose. The bands when slipped over the top of the stage strap are actually very easy to get a hold of at the point where they cross over the strap tubing.

Are you putting your *Halcyon hose retainer* over the top of the stage strap???

Sounds like my retainer is same as yours. Yea, it's over the rigging strap. Maybe it will loosen a bit with use? Also I may need to move it forward a bit. It was difficult to even catch hold of it while wearing the 2 bottles. The back end of the bottles was on the D-ring of my ACB pocket which also pushed it further out, increasing the difficulty of getting a good hold of it.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Sounds like my retainer is same as yours. Yea, it's over the rigging strap. Maybe it will loosen a bit with use?
I have some of the *inner tube* retainers that Halcyon supplies but we use the thick crab trap bands... they fit the tank a little looser but still hold the reg and hose in place... I don't think the Halcyon bands will loosen up but you can cut them a little narrower so they aren't as tight. Right where they hump up over the strap tubing is a great place to grab them and lift them up.

You are diving ACBs with doubles?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom