2nd stage "harmonica" at the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judging by what I've learned, it will go away when I'm actually diving with it... but at the surface and while on the ladder and such, I'm gonna be honking away. Seems a simple thing to design a better solution than to say "they all do that" and just walk away from the issue. It does it at all breathing rates, btw- on the exhale. Inhale is very slight and only at certain rates. Exhale is constant and annoying for $900 bones~ Sounds like a damned rental reg. I'm tempted to go in another direction- but what??? Scubapro? Seems a good choice- anybody have this issue with theirs?

I'm tempted to go in another direction- but what??? Scubapro? Seems a good choice- anybody have this issue with theirs?

I don't think switching brand will help- a lot of brands will honk at the surface. My regs will honk on occasion and whenever I get a honker, I just play it like a kazoo to amuse myself.

I once borrowed a reg that honked underwater on the inhale- it was a loud honk from the first stage. I was almost embarrassed to use it underwater, but my buddy said he knew where I was at all times. :D

No offense, but you seriously might think about diving with it before you decide...

I'm tempted to go in another direction- but what??? Scubapro? Seems a good choice- anybody have this issue with theirs?
Apeks or Poseidon would've been my other choices.

As long as you have dealers in your area.

... but at the surface and while on the ladder and such, I'm gonna be honking away.

My Atomic Aquatic Z2 does this too, but only when it's dry (before the dive when doing my safety check). I can't remember it ever doing this underwater, on the surface, or on the boat ladder after a dive.

Judging by what I've learned, it will go away when I'm actually diving with it... but at the surface and while on the ladder and such, I'm gonna be honking away. Seems a simple thing to design a better solution than to say "they all do that" and just walk away from the issue. It does it at all breathing rates, btw- on the exhale. Inhale is very slight and only at certain rates. Exhale is constant and annoying for $900 bones~ Sounds like a damned rental reg. I'm tempted to go in another direction- but what??? Scubapro? Seems a good choice- anybody have this issue with theirs?

Quit the complaining and dive the darn thing. I've had probably 6 regulators and they all have done it at one point or another, but never while diving. As someone who sells and repairs these and many other regulators, I can assure you that you purchased an excellent regulator, arguably the best on the market. Who cares how it breathes on the surface?!

Quit the complaining and dive the darn thing. I've had probably 6 regulators and they all have done it at one point or another, but never while diving. As someone who sells and repairs these and many other regulators, I can assure you that you purchased an excellent regulator, arguably the best on the market. Who cares how it breathes on the surface?!

Yeah- you're probably right. The $ting is still fresh, ya know? I can't find anything else that floats my boat like the ST1, so that's probably just what I'll do~

Inhale is slight, exhale is significant. I talked to the shop and they said it's normal until it is submerged- which doesn't make it any less annoying. I hate it when my regs do this- but was willing to tolerate it more with a cheapo rental reg. I'm thinking of returning the ST1 in favor of something else...

I can see why it may make you feel as if you got a less-than perfect product. However, given that a lot of regs do this and the problem is actually more a theoretical one than an actual one, I wouldn't let it bother me. After all, you won't be breathing your reg above water anyway. As long as there are no safety or performance issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm borrowing an *old* set of Mares regs, and they both harmonica (that is a great description btw)...but they breathe fine underwater. They're not way out of service either, so I'm not too worried. I'm bringing them in for service this week, will report back if it goes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom