2nd stage "harmonica" at the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Zeagle ZX and Envoy both did it. It goes away with a little use. Use both the primary and safe second to break them in. Not a big deal but it's more of a mental thing, and I felt the same way you do on my first day of diving with my new reg setup.

SCUBA regulators are designed to work under water. Complaining about something they do on the surface is like complaining that your boat won't drive on land. The question you need to ask is does it do what it's supposed to do where it's supposed to do it?

My old Scuba Pro conserv ALWAYS honks on the inhale with a deep drag of air, lets me know its working on land, never has done it underwater

My atomics all do that yes all 3 of them only when there dry stick the second stage in water and try it it should stop The atomics are the best regs on the market dont let a little honking noise put you off on the st1 it will never let you down i have over 400 dives on my M1 still going strong

I own two ScubaPro MK25T/S600T. One is silky smooth regardless of being out of the water or in the water. The other one is only smooth in the water. Out of the water it so annoying. The thought of it just make me want to pull out the sledge hammer and put it to rest. :redhot: Afterall these are ScubaPro's top of the line.

The Air2 on my other Scuba Pro Classic Plus BC has the same annoyance. :furious:

I think there is definitely something wrong with it. Just not wrong enough to the point where it become life threatening. The buzzy ones must be the ones that are Made in CHINA.

Since your ST1 is brand spankin new. Unless you are diving today or tomorrow. Send it back. Maybe it will get the manufacturer attention to step it up for a better fit-n-finish. Even if the next one is the same. At least you tried.

There is a reason why you always pay more for the same equipment at your LDS. You can try it, make sure it is not harmonic, before givin up your $$$.

I have 13 Atomic regs, including rentals. They all honk on the surface during exhale. Normal. A large precision diaphragm and tight tolerances. The honk goes away underwater once you have water pressure against the second stage diaphragm.
Someone said it best earlier. Use it underwater.

Larry

I think there is definitely something wrong with it. Just not wrong enough to the point where it become life threatening. The buzzy ones must be the ones that are Made in CHINA.

Since your ST1 is brand spankin new. Unless you are diving today or tomorrow. Send it back. Maybe it will get the manufacturer attention to step it up for a better fit-n-finish. Even if the next one is the same. At least you tried.

You're wrong. Didn't you see the replies from people who are familiar with the product? This is a characteristic of all Atomics. Atomic won't exchange it unless there is a defect. It's still the best breathing regulator on the market.

For whatever it is worth. I took both of mine MK25T/S600T out for another out of water breathe test. The one that is honking. When I wave it back and forth. I hear something lose clinking inside the second stage. The one that is silky smooth. When waving it back and forth. Second stage is dead solid. No clinking.

You bet there is something wrong. Fit and finish sucks - that's what's wrong.

Which brand is made in Japan again?

One of my old G250s does it, the other (actually a G200B) does not. It's just the diaphragm vibrating a little. Interestingly none of the old metal case SP 2nds I have seen do this; the case design and way the diaphragm is clamped in place is totally different. So if it REALLY annoys you, get an old metal case 2nd.

I can't believe how people are making a big deal out of this. Why anyone would care if the reg makes a weird sound at the surface is beyond me. I really think it's unfair to argue that Atomic has made an inferior product because such an insubstantial "problem". Get over it and dive.

UaVaj, first of all, you need to learn how to write in complete sentences.

Secondly, it sounds like you have a different issue with your reg. The honking when breathing IN on a reg is usually a problem with the the first stage. But when exhaling, it will always be the exhaust valve. WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the performance of the reg other than a minor annoyance, which can be avoided by not breathing from the reg at the surface (it wastes precious air anyways).

The rattling in your second stage is most likely due to the demand lever not fully resting on the diaphragm. All this means is your second stage needs to be tuned a bit, or maybe your due for a service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom