300 Foot Dive-How Expensive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
:D ....hell, it scares ME!........

ouch....

I don't want to think about it...

I'm going to go downstairs and rub my scooter and make the bad thoughts go away...

We can take a reasonably motivated diver from soup to nuts in about a month for hand hold dives. Meaning if you are in reasonably shape, can dive, can take direction well and want to invest 30 consecutive days we can get you doing 300 fsw dives in that time. Expect to work your *** off and spend about $50k This will not mean you can do wreck penetration, solo dives, or be a lead diver, but we can make you into a quality beginning technical diver who is capable, competent, and confident enough to do dives with other qualified divers to a maximum depth of 100 metres.

The rest of the world does it over 3 years.

Here is what you need:

Dry Suit with hood and gloves
Mask
Fins
Back plate and wing
5 high performance regulators
1 suit inflation system
1 mixed gas computer
1 depth bottom timer
1 compass
1 high peformance light
2 back up lights
2 lift bag / SMBs
1 primary reel
1 secondary reel
1 spool
2 cutting devices
3 sets of doubles
6 stage bottles
2 suit inflation bottles
2 slates
1 oxygen / helium analyser
box of assorted clips and dodads
box of extra hoses
gear bags and crates
back up wet suit (5-7 mill)

Training
Advanced Navigation
CPR-First Aid
Rescue
Nitrox / Advanced Nitrox
Decompression Prodecures
Gas Blender
Wreck Diving - External Survey
Extended Range - Trimix
Advanced Trimix

You need to chose an instructor who has well over 1000 gas dives and can work in an expedition mode. You should be exposed to pool, beach, quarry, freshwater, salt water and open ocean environments. Your energy should be endless, plan to start your day at 6 am and end by midnight and do it all over again. You will burn though 3000 or more calories a day, you will read more than 10,000 pages of material over the month, you will be drilled relentlessly and you will analyze more than 500 cylinders.

Once this is all done you are now prepared to learn how to be a tech diver. Getting the card just shows you can do it while under the watchful eye of an instructor. The next step is to do it under the scrutinizing eye of your peers.

Tech Diving is dangerous. There is no glory in doing a 300 foot dive. There is glory and pride in knowing you can and choosing not to on some days.

We had a guy on our California Wreck Tech trip last week who had all the credentials and had only completed 136 dives before he got on board. This guy was so perfect and knew his craft so well I would dive with him any time. He's been invited on some other cool dives with us as well. Find the people at the top of the heap who do this stuff every day and you will find a place to learn.

Expect to spend 3-4 times what you think you should. When I was at the beginning of tech diving in 1990 I was spending close to 2k a month on hardware, trips and travel. I still spend close to $15k a year on stuff and trips. I've pony'd up 5-8k to cover a charter we did not have enough people on just because I wanted to do the dives on those sites.

In a nutshell -- ya wanna dance ? ya gotta pay the band!

Cheers,

Been there, done that. Although, I did it over years. I am a NAUI Technical Support Leader, and I have been diving for thirty-five years.

What Joel says is accurate, but as he says, you'll be hand held. You need several years of dives to be a lead diver or be ready to do "Big Boy" dives (doing the tough stuff on your own).

Wreck and/or cave penetrations are their own specialties, and require training applicable to each type of diving.

In addition to up front costs for training, you'll need to be diving consistanty, and that adds up.

To borrow from Joel (and these are minimum entry costs):

Dry Suit with hood and gloves: $2000
Masks, 4, $200
Fins, 4 sets, $300
Back plate and wing, 2, $1000
5 high performance regulators, $2000
1 suit inflation system, $200
2 mixed gas computer, $800
3 depth bottom timers, $200
2 compasses, $100
1 high peformance light, $1000
2 back up lights, $200
2 lift bag / SMBs, $300
1 primary reel, $50
1 secondary reel, $50
1 spool, $50
2 cutting devices, $50
3 sets of doubles, with manifolds, $1500
6 stage bottles, $600
2 suit inflation bottles, $200
2 slates, $80
1 oxygen / helium analyser, $100
box of assorted clips and dodads, $300
box of extra hoses, $400
gear bags and crates, $300
back up wet suit (5-7 mill), $300

Training:
Advanced Open Water, $250
Rescue, CPR-First Aid, $250
Nitrox / Advanced Nitrox, $350
Decompression Prodecures, $450
Gas Blender, Advanced Gas Blender, $350
Wreck Diving - External Survey, $400
Extended Range - Trimix $600
Advanced Trimix - $600

Totals: $14,530

Again, those costs just get you started, figure that you'll need to pay for dives as well - gasses, boat costs, Divemasters, insurance, additional equipment, yearly maintenance costs, etc.

Daniel --- those mexico prices are a tad low. i would add at least 25% on top of your #s for the states and at least 35-40% if in the UK.

JDS

Joel, I did say minimum. And I buy wholesale. :) But, you're right, it will be more in upfront costs... $20,000, more like...

JS1scuba:
Daniel --- those mexico prices are a tad low. i would add at least 25% on top of your #s for the states and at least 35-40% if in the UK.

JDS

No kidding Joel! In particular the course cost, I don't teach tech that cheap because it would mean losing money, and to me making money is one sign of a good tech. instr. When you get paid well both your students and you hold the course to a higher standard and for tech diving there should be nothing but a higher standard.

NAUI Course Director/Tech Instr 17055

I get something like this, just considering the gear you need to jump in the water:

drysuit, hood, gloves - $2000
C400 drysuit undies - $450
2 masks - $120
jetfins - $80
BP/W - $555
2 HP130 steels for backgas - $900
1 set manifold, bands, regs, Ar setup, hoses - $2000
D3 bottom timer - $250
SK7 compass - $80
Primary Light - $1000
2 backup lights - $120
wetnotes - $50
SMB - $90
150' spool - $50
400' reel - $138
knife - $35
shears - $20
O2 analyzer - $200
clips and hardware - $300
2 Al40 bottles, hardware, regs - $950
2 Al80 bottles, hardware, regs - $950
Gavin Shortbody - $3700

DIRF - $380
Tech 1 - $1200
Tech 2 - $1200
Cave 1 - $1200
Tech 3 - $2000?

total - $20018 / $16318 without the scooter (but the scooter is a Tech 3 requirement)

then you add in probably at least $1000 in on-land gear at a minimum (ultrasonic cleaners, IP gauges, o-rings, lubricants, etc, etc), additional sets of doubles, additional stages, additional scooters, backup drysuit, etc... plus all the annual service, fixing things that break, replacing drysuits after they've worn out, etc... then there's gas costs, and eventually your own compressor, booster and banks...

if you've got a car, you'll probably want a truck, too...

and don't even start talking about boats... and then there's side-scan sonars and magnetometers...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom