40 ways you might be a Yankee if

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To his dyin' day my Pawpaw pronounced it similar to Rooster-Sh*T-Sauce

Love the Missouri comment. They're Yankees cause it snows there and they were on the Wrong side of the War.
P.S. You might be a Yankee if you are thinking 'Which War?"

Kriterian:
The voice I can take in small doses, it's her laugh that is like dragging ice, glass and fingernails across a chalkboard.

Just out of curiosity, how does everyone else pronounce "Worcestershire" sauce?

Down here in NC, everyone I know says it like:

Wist-ah-sheer

but it seems like it should be Wor-chester-shire.

Granted, there are some people that just say that "funny-word sauce".

Kriterian:

Wist-ah-sheer

Even farther down here some of us say it "werster-shiiierr", which as you can imagine, some of us who have a horrid accent like Larry the Cable Guy has most of what we say does nothing but confuse people... much less that word!

My wife hates it when I Boomhaur (from King of the Hill) with people.. she swears its another language.

We say it that way down here too...... (at least the natives do, we have tons of yankee implants here "snowbirds")

Kriterian:
The voice I can take in small doses, it's her laugh that is like dragging ice, glass and fingernails across a chalkboard.

Wist-ah-sheer

ScubaHawk:
Love the Missouri comment. They're Yankees cause it snows there and they were on the Wrong side of the War.
hehehehe Which War.. just smile and nod and say "yeeep.." as you crack a fresh beer. :)

Aside from the snow and accent.. you can always pick a "yankee" out in a crowed down here because 7 of 10 conversations have at least "Up north we do it like..." phrase in it with something absurd for an answer to a situation.

hehehehehehehehehe! Very true CBulla, or another one is mentioning of the heat (over and over and O-V-E-R)

CathyI8205:
WWE isn't "fake". It's scripted.

Er, same thing..? The point it's not real. They're not really hitting each other with 2 by 4's, it's just suppossed to look that way.
~

ScubaHawk:
They're Yankees cause it snows there and they were on the Wrong side of the War.

And yet another off-topic rant about our flawed governmental system:

You know, that is complete propganda. The war, I mean. In schools in the North they teach it from an entriely seperate point-of-view than they do in the South. It's rather annoying, actually, because if America's youth (who will someday inevitably be handed the task of running our country) is going to be fed bull on a silver platter, the government (or whoever) should atleast be able to decide on a definite CAUSE for the war. It's like someone made the whole thing up and on it's way down south the story got twisted. Weird. Anyway... yeah..

<33 Jess

I assume your comment was the off topic rant. It looks like you are calling mine off topic. It does amuse me that you assume the Northern version is both different and less "twisted" than the Southern version. Having gone to school all over the country I haven't noticed much of a difference in the presentation. The differences I have noticed would not be the ones I would normally expect. I would like to hear your take on the differences. This would be off-topic so you may want to message it to me or post it on a different thread.

ScubaHawk:
I assume your comment was the off topic rant. It looks like you are calling mine off topic. It does amuse me that you assume the Northern version is both different and less "twisted" than the Southern version. Having gone to school all over the country I haven't noticed much of a difference in the presentation. The differences I have noticed would not be the ones I would normally expect. I would like to hear your take on the differences. This would be off-topic so you may want to message it to me or post it on a different thread.

Oh no, I was calling my little-rant about the war off-topic, not your comment lol. I wasn't saying that the Northern version is less twisted, I was saying merely that the versions of what happened are so different, it can be hard to believe the textbook writers were talking about the same thing. As a rule, history is told from the victors POV, but it seems in this case we get both. A friend of mine lives in Georgia and I asked him for help on some of my history homework once, about 2 years ago, and some of what he was saying I was just like "Whattt are you talking about". Not only that but I've actually seen textbooks with different accounts of why things happened. I guess it's the same thing as different countries. For example I'm sure German schools teach has a slightly different POV on WWII than, say, American schools. I guess it's just like the old saying goes: "There's two sides to every story". Okay and I'm rambling with no point in mind again lol, the differences in the fineprint struck me as odd is all.

ok, except for the history lesson in the past 3 posts this was a crazy funny thread. especially about the worcesterchire sauce, i know a few people who call it "that other a1 sauce".

In England they dont pronounce the shire bit, it is just wooster sauce even though it is spelt the same.

Here in Latin America they love the stuff and call it salsa ingles (english sauce), even mix it with lime juice and put it in beer, its called a chelada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom