$400 for personal equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbtrekker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hope this is the right place to post this question, but what should one's personal scuba gear (mask, fins, snorkel) cost? I was in a local shop today and the salesperson introduced me to be their "basic" mix and match package of mask, fins, snorkel, dive boots, bag, anti-fog and maybe a few other incidentals for $399!

I was thinking that this should be in the $200-300 range...am I completely out of touch? Or is this a bit extreme for a "basic" package? BTW, they had an intermediate package which sold for like $500-600.

Well... You can do it for a bit less it's entirely reasonable to spend:

$100 for fins
$40 for booties
$65 for your mask
$25 for your snorkel.
----------------------
Total: $230

You easily go 25% less or 50% more and then some with no real difference in quality or durability. Performance may differ but not necessarily to your liking. My original gear costing about $230 is doing fine 4 years and nearly 400 dives latter.In fact you an add a year and over 100 skin dives to that!

$500 - $600 for basic gear is absurd.

There are $100.+ masks, $200.+ fins, $ 100.+ booties and even snorkels that approach $100. IMO those top shelf items can wait until you decide that you have a need or desire to invest that heavily. There will be plenty of more vital items to shell out for in the next round!

Pete

You are more inline with what it should be. A basic package should run around 200 bucks. Figure from 40- 80 bucks for a mask, 20-30 for a snorkel unless you want to waste money on a "dry" or semi dry. You'll probably not use it after training anyway. Booties from 30-50 and good dive quality fins can be had for 80 bucks. So take that as a start. A bag can be had online from 30 bucks. Spit is good anti-fog. Don't buy any extra stuff until you know what you need. Mask, snorkel, fins and boots are all you need to start. I would suggest you not buy a mask on line though. Fit is critical. A good shop will let you perhaps try it or a demo of the same in the pool to be sure it's good.

You're getting hosed......:mooner:

I spent about $200 for mine and 230. for the wifes. I would suggest trying on masks at all the local shops and buy the one that fits. Buy the rest online.:wink:

Ben

I'd say $150-$250 but it could definately be less if you are on a budget and not in a rush.
$400 seems excessive for basic entry level. I call that more mid to high end priced particularly if you know what you are looking for and shop price.
This seems to be why divers go to a local dive shop, find the model and size of what they need and then purchase online.

I hope this is the right place to post this question, but what should one's personal scuba gear (mask, fins, snorkel) cost? I was in a local shop today and the salesperson introduced me to be their "basic" mix and match package of mask, fins, snorkel, dive boots, bag, anti-fog and maybe a few other incidentals for $399!
I'll sell you a used pair of Scuba Pro Jet fins, booties and snorkel for $100. That just leaves you needing a mask ($50-$80) and anti-fog ($5). You could put the stuff in any ole bag you want. Lots cheaper than the $400 your dive shop wants :)

But let's see - when I bought my stuff, I had to buy a few extra things because I was certifying in cold water. They didn't let you rent mittens or a dive knife and you were required to buy. Even so, I spent a little too much on the other stuff I got, but here it is:

$80 ScubaPro Crystal Vu Mask w/purge
$42 Impulse Dry Snorkel
$194 Liquid Blue Split Fins
$40 5mm Manta Fin Booties
$68 Blue Tang Dive Knife
$33 6.5mm Neoprene Diving Mittens
$50 Mesh Dive Bag

I was thinking that this should be in the $200-300 range...am I completely out of touch? Or is this a bit extreme for a "basic" package? BTW, they had an intermediate package which sold for like $500-600.

It depends entirely how often you are going to dive and what you want to get out of it. Some of us are quiet regular and get some pricier gear (often engaged in debate as to if the gear is worth it or not) but we dive almost every chance we get. If you are going to be like some divers and only dive once or twice a year then I would recommend just getting gear that is sufficient to get you by

I on the other hand spent almost 200 dollars on my Slingshot fins alone. but I have seen some divers get out for around 200 to 300 dollars for personal gear. The best advice I can possibly give is not to rely soley on advice with the gear but more so actually try on and test the gear and make a decision based upon what you yourself are comfortable with. After all you and you alone have to trust your life with your gear :)

This is not a cheap hobby by any means. But my family teamed up and bought my sister a gift card that covered mask, fins, snorkel ( Don't listen to a dive shop guy, buy the cheapest snorkel you can find. You'll never use it.) and bag with her open water class. $400 total and she wound up with in store credit.

Make sure that you get a mask that fits, so spend what it takes there, on the others, it's personal preference. Buy inexpensive booties and whatever fins you want, if you're going to be diving colder water, or you can save money if you're going to be diving warm water always and buy full foot fins.

Back
Top Bottom