400m swim for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHobster:
I got so fed up with this after a guy swore he did 8 laps; now I tell them, it's a 25 yd pool, you do the math -

"standard" pool lengths in America these days are 25 yd (SCY competed in HS and NCAA), 25 meter (SCM international indoor pools), 50 meter (LCM Olympic pool) - there are also some 33 meter pools as well from the old days

lmao!!

1 lap in swimming = one length of the pool.

swimming is not the same as running where one lap is one length around the track.

500 meter freestyle is 20 laps = 20 lengths of a 25 meter pool.

1 meter = 1/0.3048 ft
1 yard = 1/0.333 ft

Another god training exercise is to do laps by the clock. First, work out how long it takes you to do a 50m comfortably, without exerting yourself too much. For example, it takes you just under 2 minutes - that's 16minutes for your 400m, so you need to improve for the DM test.

Add 25% to that time - 2m30s. Your aim for this training session is to do 10 x 50m laps, and you leave the edge of the pool every 2m30s. If you finish a lap in 1m45s, you get 45s rest. if you finish a lap in 2m20s, you only get 10s rest.

Once you finish the 500m, reduce your allowed time per lap until you get to the point where on the last couple of laps you're getting hardly any rest. That's your baseline - work on it until it improves.

A lot of lap swimmers will work on their upper body by using floats between their legs. An alternative for divers is to put on closed-heel fins, and drag your legs - the fins keep your legs in check, and the rocking motion of your body will actually propel the fins slightly. I find this a useful tool for upper body fitness and form, and doesn't tire your arms out as quickly as using a basic float.

froop:
Another god training exercise is to ...
Have you managed to get god to behave yet?:rofl3:

(I know it's just a typo, and usually I ignore them ... but that one was too god to pass)

AXL72:
lmao!!

1 lap in swimming = one length of the pool.

swimming is not the same as running where one lap is one length around the track.

500 meter freestyle is 20 laps = 20 lengths of a 25 meter pool.

1 meter = 1/0.3048 ft
1 yard = 1/0.333 ft
1 lap in swimming usually = 2 lengths of the pool (down and back). Maybe there's regional variation?

I have been competitively swimming for 15 years. 1 Lap = 2 lengths. Also, when swimming, maintain the longest stroke you can (Reach as far as you can, and pull down past your hip). Short strokes are inefficient, as you use more energy to go the same distance.

Quite right. Common nomenclature is 1 lap = 2 lengths.

:S

well....i dont know...i did compeitive swimming. 1 lap was one length of the pool

for the 500 meter...teammates sometimes hold lap counters under the water

and the counter is per lap = length

Usually lap = 1 length...however, the term is so loose that some use two lengths to define a lap.

However, usually the term is used for one length:D

"Lap One length of the course. Sometimes may also mean down and back (2 lengths) of the course. "

ReefGuy:
We start every training day with a 400m swim. Then we get to the hard stuff.
I never thought I'd consider 400m an easy swim, but after six months in the pool, it's become a piece of cake. This was a remarkable achievement considering that my first day in the pool all I could get was barely two laps! I was so unconditioned for swimming that I realized my goal had to be simply to stay in the water for 15 minutes; I did as many laps as I could (two at the most) and then spent the rest of the time doing sets of flutter kicks. I eventually progressed from 15 minutes to 30, and now after a year, I am able to max out my alotted time fully ingaged in swimming. My work-out varies between 1000meters for a light day to a mile and a half for a heavy day. I've toyed with the notion of joining the Y's Master swimmer program in order to tap into the experience that's there, but they start too late in the morning for me. too bad as I know my technique needs work, and good coaching makes a Huge difference.

I was also a competive swimmer who grew up with laps=lengths. When I started fitness swimming 5 years ago (after 27 years of idleness & sloth) I started running into other swimmers caught up in the 'lap' argument. Because of the confusion I started using 'length' instead of 'lap' (i.e. 100 yards is 4 lengths in a 25 yard pool). The only time I use the term 'lap' is when one swimmer catches and passes another swimmer in an event: the faster swimmer 'lapped' the slower swimmer. I suppose that by that logic 2 lengths equal 1 lap.
Whatever term you decide to use, keep on working on your swimming and keep on increasing the distance. Last week I managed to swim 6000 yards a day, Mon. thru Fri. averaging about an hour and a half per swim. I'm gonna try for 7000 yards this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom