5 minutes 3 seconds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy Norm who manages Camp Pecusa at Olowalu here on Maui used to free dive & spearfish every day for over 10 years. I've seen him stay down over 4 minutes, and then go down again after two breaths on the surface. He would spend about 7/8 of his time below, for three hours a day.

A few years ago he got siguatera for the third time from the daily consumption of reef fish and gave it up.

Recently I went diving at Mala Wharf with Norm snorkling around, and every few minutes he'd show up at the bottom in 30 to 40 feet of water to point out some interesting fish or invertebrate that I missed, hang around for a minute or two, and then disappear.

Aloha,

Jonathan

LOL! I took my PADI training seriously....I can't hold my breath longer than 45 seconds.....
~lildiver

It's just a pity that lung-capacity doesn't apply to the "Big feet,Big ....."
Never mind... :p
Cheers Big Lunged ears,
The Thunder from Down under,
The Gasman ( who has a 8 litre capacity somewhere else.)
:whoa:

Just under 4 1/2 minutes is my record, I used to practice while sitting bored in class. The trick is a little hyperventillation before. I think I could have extended my time a bit, but then I got a few warnings from concerned friends/family that it could be dangerous.

Originally posted by greg somers
It's just a pity that lung-capacity doesn't apply to the "Big feet,Big ....."
Never mind... :p
Cheers Big Lunged ears,
The Thunder from Down under,
The Gasman ( who has a 8 litre capacity somewhere else.)
:whoa:

LOL!!

For static apnea records see:
http://www.geocities.com/~freediver/static.htm
Only one freediver, Andy Le Sauce, has broken the 7 minute mark, although this page has not been updated recently.

I've done 4:30 lying on the couch at home. I don't do static apnea in the water, too dangerous and of no real value IMO. When diving my dives run typically between 40 to 75 seconds with a maximum around 90 seconds. I have no interest in attempting to dive longer, I like a generous safety margin.

Ralph

Breath holding for freediving is not the name of the game. Most records are broken within 21/2 to 3 minutes. However, the skill lies in being able to hold your breath whilst having your ribcage compressed like hell! It hurts, believe me.

Just a word from the wise too. NEVER hyperventilate to squeeze a few more seconds underwater.This is extremely dangerous as you are likely to black out without warning and most likely drown. :0(

I thought my wife was posting here by accident!!!

BLTN,

Summer's been really crazy around here. Havent' had a lot of time to go online.

Braggin? Nah, just the opposite according to the boss!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom