5mm or 7mm Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveR1952

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been reading a lot of threads and articles on different wetsuits as well as researching the various water temps I will be diving in over the next several years.

I have a 3mm Shorty for local Summer and tropical dives.

I need a good semi-stretchy suit for water ranges from around 50-75.

My first thought is a 5mm Pinnacle Elastiprene Marino with a hood, gloves and boots. If this is not warm enough I could add a 3-5 mm vest or core warmer.

OR

I could go with a 7mm suit and not worry about the core warmer.

I don't really want to have both a 5mm and a 7mm suit and I don't want to be too warm in the 7mm or too cold in the 5mm.

A compounding problem is there are no local dealers to actually try on the Pinnacle but it looks like THE suit for me at this point.

I have also tried on a Scubamax Max flex but have not found any reviews on the suit...it also reminds me of a SuperHero suit but I guess I could get used to it. It is also about $100 cheaper than the Pinnacle.

Comments?

Well, I guess it all depends on you, but I doubt one suit will be comfortable over such a large range. For me a 3mm is OK at 75 degrees and I'm getting pretty cold after a 1/2 hour at 50 in a 7mm suit (and 7mm hooded vest). I have a 5mm I would consider wearing in the 65-75 range.

My own opinion after owning a 7mm suit for a couple of years is that if you need one often, you are better off just buying a drysuit. A 7mm is a pain to move around in. I'm going dry next season. Some will even make the same argument about a 5mm suit.

I dive with a 7mm in the local quarry, the botom being about 60 degrees and the top around 75(summer time temps). I am very comfortable in mine. If I know I am not doing a deep dive I leave my hood and gloves off.

Having one wet suit is like owning one pair of shoes. It is not jst very flexible.

I would go for the 7m Pinnacle to cover 50-70 degrees. Over 70 it might be too much, but you can buy a cheap 3/2 for less than a hundred for the tropics. The 3/2 is also much easier to travel with.

I concur with vondo. The range you mentioned (50-75) is very broad indeed. I've used a 5mm in the 75-range and been fine. However, I have friends who are dive professionals who insist on wearing 7mm suits in 75-degree waters, since they're doing 4 dives a day. But there's no way a 5mm - even with a core warmer - will cut it in 50-degree waters. Even wearing a 7mm suit or my semi dry, I'm still cold. Sorry, but if you're diving such a wide range of waters, you'll need different suits to do it comfortably.

Thus far in my cold-water diving career, I've been the only one on the dive boat diving wet. Everyone else sported drysuits, and they looked far more comfortable than me - both in and out of the water. The downside is, they're pretty expensive (although there are deals to be had or can be purchased second-hand), and you will need a little coaching from an instructor or seasoned drysuit diver in controlled conditions to get the knack of diving dry. See if DUI or Whites are having a drysuit demo day near you, and try one out.

My experiences with a new 5mm suit is that it is really a better choice for warmer water than a 3mm, but not a viable cold-water suit. I still can get chilled after an hour in 70 degree water in a 3mm, and I am learning the 5mm is better for this type of diving. I stay warm as long as my air lasts when in warmer waters in a 5mm instead of getting chilled at the end of the dive. I tried the 5mm with another 5mm hooded vest in mid 50's water temps, and while I didn't have to call the dive I was far from comfortable. I like to be comfortable at this stage of my life. My conclusion was that if I needed the hooded vest on top of the 5mm, then I am better off with the drysuit on. Of course you may be more cold tolerant than I. Hope it helps.

I would stay away from the Pinnacle elastiprene with merino lining. The elastiprene is insanely comfortable, but it's stretchiness also means it compresses more with depth(meaning you aren't as warm).

In addition, I'm convinced the merino lining is a joke. After buying some of it thinking it was for real.....well, I was very disappointed. I had really sold myself on the stuff beforehand. It's not enough merino wool to actually make a difference in retaining heat. In addition, it sops up cold water from outside the suit.

I've personally found the Bare suits to be very well made and they fit me well, too. Another fav is Xcel, they have the best neoprene I've experienced(very dense, keeps you warm).

The fit of the suit is going to make the difference, so go try on a bunch.

I would stay away from the Pinnacle elastiprene with merino lining. The elastiprene is insanely comfortable, but it's stretchiness also means it compresses more with depth(meaning you aren't as warm).

In addition, I'm convinced the merino lining is a joke. After buying some of it thinking it was for real.....well, I was very disappointed. I had really sold myself on the stuff beforehand. It's not enough merino wool to actually make a difference in retaining heat. In addition, it sops up cold water from outside the suit.

I've personally found the Bare suits to be very well made and they fit me well, too. Another fav is Xcel, they have the best neoprene I've experienced(very dense, keeps you warm).

The fit of the suit is going to make the difference, so go try on a bunch.

Have you actually dived in colder water in the Pinnacle?

What thickness were you using and what temperature water?

Thanks

7mm for sure, you can always dive without a hood and gloves if the water is in the 70's range and remain comfortable. There is a big difference between 64 and 74(especially when crossing a thermocline), if you dive 50 degree water most often then drysuit is probably your best bet. No contest though 7mm is what you want for the temps you describe not a 5mm.

Have you actually dived in colder water in the Pinnacle?

What thickness were you using and what temperature water?

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a 7mm hood and 5mm gloves. The temperatures I've used them in includes everything up to and between 72 to 36* Fahrenheit. My xCel 5mm gloves were noticeably warmer, and the same with my Bare hood(!). I still use the Pinnacle gloves for warmer stuff in the 60's though as they're just so damn stretchy and comfortable, even as 5mm.

Based on what I've gotten from these items so far, I would not be interested in buying a merino lined wetsuit for cold water. I wouldn't mind an elastiprene 3mm suit for 70*+ water, but too pricey for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom