6 divers missing off Sangalaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am living, working and diving about 300km south of Derawan (just north of the Equator on the east coast of Kalimantan). We dived last Saturday, Sunday and Monday (correct, Indonesian Independence Day) with no problems but there is a notable south to north current and very windy (dry season) conditions, and at thsi time of year we frequently have issues with shipping due to wind/waves.

As has already been mentioned, "falling asleep" is not a code for "drunk", after several years in Indonesia I have found that many people here (my wife included) can sleep anywhere, any time. I have heard of a number of cases of missing divers (usually recovered) due to the boat driver falling asleep, and many boats have two operators for that purpose.

I've dived the Meratua location three times, not much around Derawan itself. Twice staying on Nabucco Island, once from a liveaboard. The currents can be very strong, particularly at places like Big Fish Country, and Sangalaki itself can quickly drag you off the island and into the open water.

I'm desperately looking for information about these divers as we are so close and dive every weekend, but so far I haven't found anything even on the "IndoNet" - most people only know what has been seen in the news articles posted.

Furthermore - virtually no fishing boats would have a marine radio, but there are a lot of work boats and ships nearby that may be monitoring channel 16. Our diveboat has a radio but we're yet to invest in Nautilus Lifelines, but this might be the kick we need. We all carry SMBs and rarely leave site of the coast although this is not much help in sparsely populated waters. I would very much like to know if an EPIRB type system would work in Indonesia.

I presume the Indonesia/Malaysia confusion is concerning the plane crashes from Malaysia Airlines, however Indonesia has just lost another smallish (50 or so passengers) in Papua (Dandy Don referenced this) and has a less than admirable safety record, particularly in the low cost and remote location airlines.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

I'd very much like to hope they will be found however I'd be surprised if there is adequate search/rescue and if they would be able to figure out where to look. In most cases I've noted in Indonesia, divers have been found by fisherman etc. rather than actual S&R teams.

Another small point - the bulk of the lost groups referenced occur around Bali/Komodo etc., whereas I have not heard of too many cases in my area - having said that the number of divers is relatively low compared to Bali/Lombok/Komodo.

I'll keep my ears open and see if any of our local divers have any news.

There is also a emergency channel(channel 16) which will transmit your position(GPS). At least more than a step up on smb.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the receiving radio needs the DSC function to pick up the GPS position your lifeline transmits and not just the ability to receive channel 16. This position function is not available on a normal VHF (only) radio. If its a normal VHF radio you can call on any channel same as any VHF radio but not get position. The DSC radio function shows a screen with your coordinates as well as being able to talk with the person using the lifeline on actually any VHF channel.

My point is most dive boats in Indonesia struggle to have a VHF radio on the boat, let alone one with DSC function as well, thus the lifeline may not be of much use in some Pacific areas. As well the lifeline range is only about 5 km or so depending on the receiving stations height above water.

A PLB works anytime anywhere as long as its functional and the range is world wide, but the down side is it doesn't transmit to the local dive boat or even often to local authorities. You are then depending on the chain of communications from a long distance Marine Authority receiving station contacting local authorities to come save you. Whilst a more reliable method, not one without its own issues. If used in areas like Fiji the navy doesn't work weekends so you are screwed until Monday for their help and totally dependant on local fishing boats/dive boats and the long chain of communication from the Marine Authority to them.

I initially thought the confusion was due to the fact that Borneo is half Indonesia and half Malaysian (with some Brunei as well). But anyway, Maverick 17 is right, I couldn't recall the exact numbers but there has been a lot. Very generally though, the national air carrier, Garuda, has a very good record. As I said, low cost airlines and flying into remote, mountainous areas are the primary causes. And still no word locally about the divers.

sad thing is that i do not think that there wasn't any serious search & rescue ..
locals are somewhat poor .. but could spare some gas ..

I would want to know .. who was made responsible .. and who is leading the S&R?
how can we talk to them .. ask.. and demand ..

we left on Thursday.. this happened Saturday .. so German friend who stayed behind told me about it ..

but I have a few #s saved which might know more:

Derawan Dive Lodge +6282189262599 as listed - on Google Maps - Google Maps .. I am NOT sure if this is the dive center that took them / lost them ..

Noldi nice guy works at the above dive center .. +6281351692590

Wadi .. nice guy has a boat / arranges boats +6282157033465

Hasan .. limited English .. has a boat / home stay +6282157033465

Still no happy news. Local news reports here (use Google translate for a rough English version):

Cari WNA Hilang di Sangalaki, Turunkan Heli Bell 412 - Kaltim Post - basically Indonesian S&R are going to use a helicopter to search (reported yesterday). Also mentions the fact there is no nationa S&R base near Berau (nearest major city to Derawan).

Tak Ganti Baju Menunggu Kekasih, Italia Bantu Sewa Helikopter - Kaltim Post - reported Tuesday. Some more details here, the two Italians who were picked up (snorkellers) are frantic and desperately looking for help, multiple boats are/were searching, reference to Italy helping with the hire of a helicopter (first question usually asked when medical treatment or S&R is required - who is paying?).

Musibah Derawan Jadi Perhatian Eropa - Kaltim Post - reported some days ago. Has a graphic to show where it occurs but doesn't show several small islands around the region.

Still asking around for information but nothing so far. A rumour that they were found in Manado (750km away) was obviously false.

Amen!!

The lack of geography knowledge in this country is amazing

Erm, we lost an ATR in Papua in the last week, the Hercules from Medan, the Air Asia airliner, plenty of divers getting lost and I think just the other week another unfortunate live aboard sinking...... All in sunny Indonesia

The lack of news and current affairs knowledge outside the country is amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some more info about the search efforts in this article Helikopter TNI AD Ikut Bantu Cari 4 WNA Penyelam yang Hilang di Sangalaki - Kompas.com

Direct paste from Google translate:
BALIKPAPAN, KOMPAS.com - A joint team search a foreign citizen (WNA) is missing while diving in the waters Charitable Island, Berau district, extends to more than 25 miles seputaran Charitable Island. Search not only at sea but also by air by utilizing Bell helicopters owned by the Army.

Search on the fourth day after four foreigners was declared missing on Saturday (15/08/2015) and then, yet also found a bright spot.

"The search is still prioritized in south Charitable. In addition to ships at sea, we used also the Army helicopters to monitor from the air," said Navy Commander Post Derawan Island, Sea Letda (P) Muhammad Buhari, Tuesday (18/08/2015).

Search underway with sunny weather throughout the day. Combined SAR rescue boat powered boat 215 Basarnas, rigid infletable Tarakan SAR boat, tug boat PT Berau Coal, up to a dozen speed boats belonging to residents.

"But until now has not been found, Mas," said the Head of Operations Basarnas Balikpapan, Mujiono.

Six foreign nationals, consisting of five Italian nationals, a Belgian, and a citizen who became a guide, a dive into the waters Charitable aboard a speed boat owned by residents around 14:00 on Saturday.

Italian citizens in the name of Daniele Buresta (36), Valeria Baffe (34), Alberto Mastrogiuseppe (36), Maurizio and Michela Caresani Rege (33). A Belgian nationality again on behalf of Vana Chris R Vanpuyvelde (29). While the guide is a citizen named Oslan [of?] Derawan Island.

"Four tourists and a dive guide, while two more snorkel," says Buhari.

South wind blew hard while diving. Waves when it reaches 3-4 meters. Two residents who swim with a snorkel boat was back to speed. Motor speed then look for the other five, but only found Oslan in weak condition. He was found five miles away in the south of the island of Charitable.

After several days, the search widened to more than 25 miles from the island of Charitable. Attention seekers are also many directed to the south Charitable. Search widened because of estimated victims swept away during the last four days.

A joint team search time estimate will last seven days. They will consider the addition of search time when the diver was not found.

"Pray soon discovered," said Mujiono.

It was their second dive according to this article Kaltim Diver posted Cari WNA Hilang di Sangalaki, Turunkan Heli Bell 412 - Kaltim Post. Again direct from google translate
They dived twice. Firstly 11:00 pm. However, when the second dive, at 14:10 pm, the weather in the waters of the island of Charitable deteriorated. High waves and strong winds make diving Michela, Alberto, Daniele, Osland, away from the starting point. Speedboats they use invisible. Osland only survivors because of swimming. The WNA Italy with him has yet been found.

I wonder what type of signalling equipment they had with them. I hope they are found.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things to add from my experience working there.

Boat crew dont "do" surface cover. They smoke, they sleep. They generally don't bubble watch, track current or anything. Its common to have to bang on the side of the boat if you end a dive early to wake the crew up.

Regarding VHF, other than the big liveaboards, forget it. No dive boat is likely to have VHF at all - if you're lucky it will have a mobile phone and if REALLY lucky, it'll have credit on it.
Fishing boats wont have vhf, pleasure boats wont, a lot of small ferrys wont.

DSC does indeed require dedicated receivers as it has 2 VHF channels allocated for the data. A normal vhf simply wont hear a DSC bulletin.

You need to remember you're in a remote country with limited SAR resources and help. Its got some of the best diving on earth but you DO have to be careful and minimise risk yourself there.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic discussion about air safety records removed. Please familiarize yourself with forum rules before posting and ask yourself...does my post help to ensure the same accident does not occur again? Marg, SB Senior Moderator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom