60 dives in a week @ Buddy Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds a whole lot better, what was the trip with the "record setting" story anyway?

OK ladies and gents, here is the actual story. Louie was on Bonaire for 12 days, diving 10 of them, not 6 as the story implies. He dove 6 dives per day (not uncommon for Bonaire) with an average bottom time per dive of 40-45 minutes on 32 nitrox. I typically do 4 or 5 per day and 6 on occasion with bottom times averaging 75 minutes and I know Jim does as well so our actual bottom time per day is about the same. This was dedicated diving to be sure but not out of the norm for Bonaire .
Basically this boils down to nothing more than poor/inaccurate wording on Buddy's part and assumptions being made without the actual facts. While it was intense diving, it was not out of reason for Boniare and in any case, not a dangerous stunt.

EDIT:
Additional info I neglected to put in the first time, the time error that Buddy made- 1 week instead of 12 days can also be explained. Louie went down early to get in some diving before his group got there, so in fact "the group" was there for a week while Louie had an additional 4 days of diving before they got there. A reasonable mistake on BD's part but it none the less made the news somewhat misleading.....sounds a lot like our media...

I had wondered about this and was going to give the owner of Gypsy's a call about it.

I know Louis but have not personally has a class under him. He taught my daughter's stress and rescus course and the whole thread seemed out of character for him and definitely for Gypsy's as a whole.

Glad to know that the information in the letter was simply wrong.

I have also seen communication fromstaff @ Buddy Dive agreeing they should have been a bit more careful with the wording in their newsletter, and they will avoid it in the future.

As is often the case, when the actual story is explored more deeply, it was parts of the story itself that were in error. Because it was printed in a newsletter, it got a bit of attention.

As the OP of this thread I will ask that this thread be closed, as neither GypsyDivers, nor Buddy Dive deserve to be raked over the coals for what amounts to an editing error.

A nice accomplishment reported in error. Bummer.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread permanently closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom